Page 121 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2862

Thread: Game: What game are you currently playing??

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    its a port

where did you read that its not?
    No way, ds said it's not a port so it's not a port. Even though even the publisher in charge at Square Enix says it's a port and they allocated resources to the PC port development. ds is right, not that guy.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...games-is...-sq

@ds: I can only imagine ds stands for dipshit because you like to knitpick at every little statement for 100% factual and word-for-word appropriateness instead of reading between the lines and getting the actual message. Because you didn't get the nuance of what I said, here it is again: the engine is very much like GTA3, not GTA4, because of the reduced options and actions available to you. If UFG borrowed code or gameplay from a previous openworld game, it would most likely be GTA3, not GTA4, because the game engine lacks a lot of options and actions available in a GTA4 level game. dipshit.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Enough with the name calling now.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

It's not a port fools, dedicated DX11 codepaths don't get coded in the last second, shit also need extensive testing to ensure it works on all systems.
    A port is something that gets done after the main build is completed, judging by its extensive pc only features and release date, it's completely impossible to not have been developed at the same time as the console versions.

Thats called using common sense, just because it's on pc doesn't mean it's been "ported".
    But if you so require "internet-proof" to tell you what to believe or not:

Very early on in development, we wanted to create a PC-specific version,” O’Connell said. “We always had that planned. When the game changed hands from Activision to Square Enix, Square was incredibly supportive of the PC version and actually wanted us to do more with it. It was at that point that we began to focus more resources on the PC version and it became what it is.”
    O’Connell explained. United Front Games kept a small but dedicated group of people working on the PC version of the game in parallel with the console versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    No way, ds said it's not a port so it's not a port. Even though even the publisher in charge at Square Enix says it's a port and they allocated resources to the PC port development. ds is right, not that guy.
    You are such a fucking loser.
    Yes because I say it's not a port it's not a port; I'm the one here with a university degree in Gamedesign and Development, you have a degree in not being a cop.

The SE/UFG guy also never said it was a port, that's just the headline the fucking journalists used.
    The UFG developer even said:
    we wanted to create a PC-specific version
    Even your reading skills are terrible

@ds: I can only imagine ds stands for dipshit because you like to knitpick at every little statement for 100% factual and word-for-word appropriateness instead of reading between the lines and getting the actual message. Because you didn't get the nuance of what I said, here it is again: the engine is very much like GTA3, not GTA4, because of the reduced options and actions available to you. If UFG borrowed code or gameplay from a previous openworld game, it would most likely be GTA3, not GTA4, because the game engine lacks a lot of options and actions available in a GTA4 level game. dipshit.
    For one it's *nitpick.
    And 2 you said this:

and it looks like they used GTA3 engine and code instead of GTA4. A lot of the things you could do in GTA4, you can't in Sleeping Dogs.
    If you don't know what the fuck you are talking about then just shut your face.

You can't "borrow" code either, since that would require reverse engineering of the entire engine, which is just not worth it.
    And "borrowing" gameplay...really? How desperate are you to save face?
    GTA is just a 3rd person action shooter, which there existed many of before GTA.
    Last edited by darkshadow; Thu, 09-06-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added some shit because animeniax sucks
    -----------------

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Ok how about this, Classic rpg`s on the ds, doesnt has to be new but no ports.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Oh shit I guess we can't talk about anything unless we have university degrees in it (what shitty program did you grad from? Phoenix University, right?). Nevermind supposition or just chit chatting on an internet forum. Looks like we'll all need to cite and provide references for everything we post, to satisy ds. Fucking forum nazi pissing to mark his territory. Bravo, gangsta game designer!

If you can't see the obvious gameplay and code borrowing from GTA to Sleeping Dogs, you must really suck at game design or you're blind and dumb, probably all 3. Congrats on that C- average. Have you even played Sleeping Dogs, or is all your info coming from wikipedia? If you had, you'd see it's almost a skin over GTA3.

They made a "pc-specific version" based on the console version = port. IDIOT.

darksiders-ii-and-sleeping-dogs-a-tale-of-two-very-different-pc-ports

PCGamer's review of Square Enix's Sleeping Dogs PC Port/
    Last edited by Animeniax; Thu, 09-06-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: because ds is a know-nothing know-it-all

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    Ok how about this, Classic rpg`s on the ds, doesnt has to be new but no ports.
    RPG is arguably the largest genre on handhelds. I really don't know what you have and haven't play or what constitute as a port for the DS since there are tons of JP only RPG that came to the west for the first time on the DS.

So rather than go through all that, here's a giant list of RPG for the DS, so just go through it and see what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Oh shit I guess we can't talk about anything unless we have university degrees in it
    Talk all you want but don't be surprised when someone whos actually educated on the matter calls you out on your bullshit.

(what shitty program did you grad from? Phoenix University, right?).
    Projecting your failures in life onto others isn't exactly attractive ani; everyone on the internet must be as miserable and failed in life as you are, this includes ofcourse terrible education.
    Oh and FYI I don't live in your country, cute for assuming though, especially since it's been well established on this forum that I'm european.

Nevermind supposition or just chit chatting on an internet forum. Looks like we'll all need to cite and provide references for everything we post, to satisy ds. Fucking forum nazi pissing to mark his territory. Bravo, gangsta game designer!
    No problem, racist waste of life.
    (I also never asked for references, that was kraz33)

If you can't see the obvious gameplay and code borrowing from GTA to Sleeping Dogs, you must really suck at game design or you're blind and dumb, probably all 3.
    It's hilarious how you keep mentioning code borrowing in some sort of insane attempt to support your point.
    Let me make it clear for you:
    There is absolutely no code borrowing or sharing between studios when concerning in-house engines.
    There is also no gameplay borrowing because all the core gameplay in GTA already existed everywhere else; if anything it just used and applied existing gameplay principles (like every goddamn game, including GTA, does).

And I really don't have to proof anything to you, but I graduated with honours, congrats on projecting once again, also I have perfect vision with no colour blindness and I have an IQ of 147 (yes a real test, not internet bs).

Congrats on that C- average. Have you even played Sleeping Dogs, or is all your info coming from wikipedia? If you had, you'd see it's almost a skin over GTA3.
    Again with the projecting, 3 times in 1 post! You must really hate that some black guy in the internet is living a much superior life compared to the hopes and dreams shattered life of a police reject.
    Yes I own Sleeping dogs, I've also finished it and calling it a skin over gta3 displays your incredible ignorance; it's an insult to the devs at UFG.

They made a "pc-specific version" based on the console version = port. IDIOT.
    Hahahaha no....just no, they made a pc-specific version in parallel with the console versions; you should change your custom title to "selective reading pro"... or "racist".....or just "stupid almost-cop".
    -----------------

Oh look at that, playing the race card. Yeah that's why people don't like you, cause you're black, not cause you're an ahole know-it-all who knows shit no one cares about. Good job ignoring the links to all the other references to this PC PORT of a game. And GTA came before the others. If you don't think a large part of the gameplay and code was "borrowed" from that franchise for this game, then good luck as a game designer. Maybe you should actually play Sleeping Dogs to see the blatant similarities and obvious copying of GTA (3 not 4).

The difference between you and me is that one day sooner or later I'll be a police officer making a difference in the world. You'll still be updating wikipedia with a passion and arguing semantics on an internet forum.

Ahahaha your racism is becoming very amusing now, I never played a "race" card, that was just me responding to your blatant and ongoing racism. But good job responding like a true racist would.
    1. Only 1 link has been posted
    2. The link only referenced "port" in the headline, which was written by a journalist
    3. In the interview the UFG DEVELOPER never refers to it being a port and outlines many times that it had always existed and was the result of parallel development; but you've kept ignoring this point 3 times now so I'll just assume you are trolling.
    4. Code does not get borrowed....I don't know how many times I need to repeat this.
    5. GTA came before what others? Other 3rd person action games? No it did not; every core gameplay mechanic in GTA already existed.
    6. Maybe I should play sleeping dogs? I.....I'm just repeating myself now..good job trolling.

7. I hope to god you will never be a police officer anywhere, the only difference an insane person like you could make would be incredibly malign.

8.hahahahahahahahahhahaahhaha
    9.you are such a sad person...
    10.hahahahahahahahaha
    -----------------

Always hiding behind the race card. You people, I tell you what. Anyways, go play Sleeping Dogs and you'll see it's GTA3:Chinatown.

And with developers like you, I'm sure we'll see many more failed game franchises or blatant ripoffs that "borrow" heavily from other games and their source code. You'll be writing code for some shit app company soon enough. Meanwhile I'll be a police officer keeping the streets safe so nerds like you can walk around while laying down mad rep on forums on your phone.

Alright, this was amusing for a time for an outsider, and looking at the spirited posts, it must have been entertaining to the participants as well, but in the long run it won't serve the purpose of this thread. So, it will stop here.

Addition: I also won't tolerate continuing it masked under flimsy references to the topic.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    A port is something that gets done after the main build is completed,
    thats not true :/

development is done on a lead platform, every other platform it gets released on is a port.

its not so wise to assume they designed a console and a PC version, who wants to pay for that?
    its also more likely for developers to upgrade their lead-version for the PC rather than downgrading it for consoles.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Fri, 09-07-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Uhh no, "lead platform" has no significance other than ease of universal compatibility when it's used in concurrent development.
    If an engine (like UE3) has all the tools to export a version to different platforms, then the only significance "lead platform" has is which one has the latest build; all exported platforms should have all their appropriate optimisations and should run accordingly.

Only when the "lead platform" is indeed the only version does it concern porting; bayonetta is an excellent example of this, where only the 360 version existed in-house at P* and sega handled the ps3 version.
    -----------------

How would that work for a game like Skyrim, where both console versions were made in house, but the PS3 one is the exceptionally buggy POS version?

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    its also more likely for developers to upgrade their lead-version for the PC rather than downgrading it for consoles.
    What's the basis for this? While I have no other experience than some medium heavy game modding years ago, I'd think it could be easier to downgrade than upgrade game material. You can always reduce polycount of models and resolution of textures or remove details (models, effects, texture shaders, realtime lighting) from scenes even using automatic methods, but there're no automatic methods for increasing anything I mentioned. Removing is easy, adding is hard work, yet if you must have a better PC version, there's no alternative to that hard work. If you do it anyway, why not do it and then afterwards keep removing from the default as much as is necessary for the inferior console versions to run?

I'd say that's the same situation as with Valve, I'd chalk that up to the engine simply not being capable of fully taking advantage of the ps3 hardware. Even if ps3 was the "lead platform", it would still run like ass if the engine was coded in the same way as it is now.
    Basically for a proper ps3 version they'd have to rewrite the engine from scratch to include dedicated ps3 optimisations.
    Or, as valve has been doing, slowly add in this support with each new build.

In bethesda's case however, I do think the ps3 versions are ports, since they always say how they have issues with the ps3's memory architecture; and with the delays on ps3 dlc I think that frankenstein gamebryo engine they are using simply has no support for the ps3 architecture and they simply do the porting in-house.
    -----------------

The "Creation Engine" isn't Gamebryo...
    How do I know? Because the bugs aren't as weird, amusing, and entertaining. Just mildly annoying.

They've mentioned the memory issues as part of the reasons that Dawnguard hasn't yet and likely never will come out on the PS3, or and DLC for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    What's the basis for this? While I have no other experience than some medium heavy game modding years ago, I'd think it could be easier to downgrade than upgrade game material. You can always reduce polycount of models and resolution of textures or remove details (models, effects, texture shaders, realtime lighting) from scenes even using automatic methods, but there're no automatic methods for increasing anything I mentioned. Removing is easy, adding is hard work, yet if you must have a better PC version, there's no alternative to that hard work. If you do it anyway, why not do it and then afterwards keep removing from the default as much as is necessary for the inferior console versions to run?
    I think you have it right, as far as Sleeping Dogs goes.

Originally the PC port was going to be left as is, ie the same as the console versions and not taking advantage of all the potential power of various PC configurations. But the thing with Sleeping Dogs that makes the development of the PC version so unique is that the publisher encouraged and supported the PC development of the game to be all it could be, rather than your run-of-the-mill port. Here's hoping it's a trend instead of a one-off exception, and the PC makes a comeback as a gaming platform, rather than an afterthought.

It's not a port, it never was.
    -----------------

Agree to disagree. In reading up on it, there are some who think like you that the term "port" is overused and mis-representative of how games are developed for different systems. But I found many more in the industry who are fine with using the term as it is mostly used.