Thread: *-Third Party GotWoot Photoshop Site-*

*-Third Party GotWoot Photoshop Site-*

Who's up for it?

Myself and Deadfire have been thinking about creating an offshoot website of GotWoot for the sole purpose of Photoshop.

Heres a copy of the PM:

Well heres some brainstorming. I'm sure many other members will have opinions as well.
    An offshoot site of Gotwoot made souly for Photoshop. I presented my ideas to Deadfire when he suggested he'd be willing to attempt this.

This offshoot of GotWoot we are attempting to create will have the best of the best right at your fingerstips. Very precise tutorials and explanations. All the successfull skills and tricks us GotWoot members have acquired over the years.Simply a "very" organized compilation of A grade tutorials artwork, designs, renders, and if were to go so far, brushs.

Simply....a compilation of all successful techinques the members of Gotwoot have under their belts.

A resource for Photoshop and is extremly simply for even the fresh members of PS. I'd even go so far as to make video tutorials.

So....

1.) Tutorials
    a.) Brush Designs
    b.) Rendering Text
    c.) Canvas Settings
    d.) Lighting
    e.) Color Spectrum

etc.

2.) Renders
    a.) Organized
    b.) Affiliations - Such as Twisted Renders

3.) Text
    a.) Designs
    b.) Specific tips and tricks

4.) Patterns
    a.) Collection of designs
    b.) Tutorials on making Patterns.

Thats all I care about. My main concern is hosting. In my mind this is all an offshoot of GotWoot and will be linked from GotWoot etc etc.

Ask the rest of the FanArt sections regulars. I know they'll have input.
    And so here we are GotWoot. The members we have here are the best at what they do.

This will take alot of work, but keep in mind that we are the best at what we do, and if we manage to pull this off, the final product woul simply be awesome. This is something that even experts would love, for example, I wouldn't mind taking a look at how Kage gets his stuff done.

If you are willing to help out and if you have the skills.
    And your thoughts on this idea in general.
    Last edited by Lucifus; Sat, 04-28-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled the Title
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Figure I should copy about all the info I posted on other sites.

FAQ

Q: OMG, teach me how to make a sig.
    A: First off, you'll need a program such as Adobe Photoshop or The GIMP.

Adobe Photoshop is one of the more advanced art creation programs out there. It costs a large sum of money. There's a lot you can do with, ranging from things like cropping a picture to making a signature or avatar.
    Imageready is an animation program that comes with Photoshop. As in its title, it's basically for putting the finishing touches on your project. Most of the time, you'll use this program when saving your project or making an animation.
    30 day free trial here.

The GIMP is, in short, a weaker version of Photoshop. The major attraction is the fact that it's quite possible the best free art program out there. Photoshop is often preferred, assuming you've got the money. Free download here.

Q: Cool! ...how do they work?
    A: Open up the program and, if you're just starting, break out some basic tuts. Start with google. Try to find some reliable sites to bookmark that you can go back to once in a while, or try some of the tuts that will be linked at the bottom of this post.

Where I can I put my finished graphics to show them off?
    Photobucket - A nice gallery. It has 10gb of storage, 1gb monthly bandwidth, and allows individual images to either be 1mb in size or have 1024x768 dimensions. Upgrading your account to pro allows 2mb images or 2240x1680 dimensions.
    Imageshack - Allows you to host individual images, up to 1.5mb in size. Quick and easy.
    Once they're uploaded, copy the link given to you and post them in tags as so:
    Code:
    [img]URL here[/img]

Q: What are all the buttons in Photoshop CS2's nav bar?
    A: Glad you asked. I've prepared a little image with a key.

What are .psds, .xcfs, .gifs, etc?
    A: The most common formats are here.
    .PSD is Photoshop's default format. It saves the whole file (layers, effects, etc.) Its size varies, though is often over 2mb. SUGGESTED USE: Unfinished work, work you plan to edit
    .XCF is the same as .PSD, except it's used in the GIMP. Note, however, that the GIMP can also save in .PSD.
    .JPG is used for medium/high-quality images without the use of much diskspace, although the colors aren't exact. It is a compressed (lossy) format. SUGGESTED USE: MQ Sigs/avatars
    .GIF is used for low/medium-quality images (including sprites & animations themselves). The most colors you can accomplish with .GIF is 256. .GIF also allows the use of transparency and animation. It is very popular for that reason. SUGGESTED USE: Sprites, animations, LQ transparent sigs/avatars
    .PNG images are certainly big, but they also are high-quality (mostly higher than .JPG). It also supports transparency in most browsers other than IE6. It is a lossless format. SUGGESTED USE: Sprites, HQ Sigs/avatars, HQ sigs

What are layers?
    A: Layers are incredibly important in Photoshop and The GIMP. Layers are the order in which the components of your sig appear. For example, a background layer would be something like a blank white fill. A foreground layer, for example a stock, would appear on top of that background layer. If you ordered the layers so that the background layer were on top of the stock's layer, the stock would be hidden behind the white fill. Once you get into graphics, this is a concept that you'll find much easier to understand.

How do you install new brushes?
    A: This is relatively easy.
    Photoshop: Download the brush pack you wish to use; make sure it is in .abr format. Now, go to the folder Photoshop is installed in. Go to the folder "presets," then "brushes." Move the .abr into that folder. Next, open Photoshop. Open your brushes dock. Click on the arrow in the upper right and select the brush pack you just installed.
    GIMP: Download the brush(es) you wish to use; make sure they/it are/is in .gbr format. Now, go to the folder The GIMP is installed in. Go to the folder "share," then "gimp," then "#.##,"* then "brushes." Move the .gbr(s) into that folder. Next, open The GIMP. Open your brushes dock. Click refresh and the brushes will all automatically load.
    *This folder's name depends on the version number you're using. For example, it is called "2.0" in version 2.0.

How do you make patterns?
    A: Photoshop: Make a new document. Fill it with whatever you want - this will be your pattern, which is automatically tiled when used. Go to "Edit" and "Define Pattern." Name your pattern and click okay. Now, you've got yourself a custom pattern!
    The GIMP: (I run this program on Linux; I dual boot though, so I'm using Windows right now which only has Photoshop; if someone could write this for me, that would be great.)

What are C4Ds?
    (to be answered)

I have another question(s) that you haven't answered! Should I just make a new thread(s) here?
    A: NO! Rather than have regulars dig through the help topics to give advice to each individual person, please pm someone such as I with the question and it will soon be answered and posted here. I'm aware only a few questions have been answered here.

Etiquette

Although these are not official TUS rules, there are a number of a things people in this forum should _not_ do, as you will lose points with the graphics vets and be looked down upon. A short list is as follows.

Don't make new threads asking for help.
    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
    Read the tutorials at the bottom first, or mess around with Photoshop a bit. Keep in mind that it takes time to figure out Photoshop - asking won't magically make you better. No one becomes a master overnight; all we can say is listen to comments on the sigs you make, read tutorials, and keep at it.

Don't make new threads asking how to make a sig.
    No one's going to hold your hand and help you work your way up from the bottom. Most of the people learned entirely on their own, without any/minimal help. If you're really stuck, google some tuts or read some of the ones at the bottom here.

Take critique with stride.
    We don't hate you, we don't want you to leave. We just want to you to get better so we can stop looking at your crappy graphics and move on to seeing you make some pretty cool graphics. When people tell you to do something to your sig or not do something, listen to them. Don't assume they're just bashing you because of some prejudice.

Tuts

These are a few of TUS's best tutorials, made by the respective credited members. These are highly suggested to read, as they teach you some basic Photoshop motor skills.

What's a render and how do I make one?
    Renders are, in short, stocks or pics with transparent backgrounds. They're the main focus of your sigs.
    CS2: Three-Shot Render (Tree)
    (Teaches you how to basic render using the polygonal lasso tool, found in both The GIMP and Photoshop.)

How do I put videos in my sigs?
    Requires Imageready:
    CS2: Video Sigs (master_me)
    (Teaches you how to put a video into your sig using Imageready.)

How do I make/save animations?
    Requires Imageready:
    CS2: Basic Animating (Commie)
    (Teaches you some basic, though useful, skills for animation in Imageready.)

Signature Tutorials

Advanced
    CS2: Advanced Signature (Composer of Requiems)
    A fantastic tut made by the amazing CoR. Even if you can't pull this off, it's still worth a look.

Intermediate
    CS2: In Motion (master_me)
    A semi-advanced C4D scatter smudge tut. This is a great start for people who have no idea what a C4D is or where/how to put one in a sig.

Beginner
    CS2: Scatter Smudge (master_me)
    If you can't scatter smudge, this'll teach you how to.

CS2: Brush Sig (Paradox of Twilight)
    If you sucks with brushes, read this. Please.

Misc. tuts:
    CS2: Polaroids! (master_me)
    A funky tutorial that teaches you how to make a badass-lookin' polaroid. This is a crowd favorite.

If you have a tutorial you want to add, send a PM to me.

Resources

Tutorialized.com
    Probably the most jam-packed tutorial site, currently with over 5,000 tutorials. Learn everything from how to make a ball in Photoshop to constructing an entire room in Cinema4D!

Deviant Art.com
    All the resources you need - C4Ds, brushes, .psds, vectors, sprites, random graphics to stare at... it's here.

Planet Renders.com
    Game Renders.com
    If you're too lazy to cut renders yourself, you've found home.

Did you find this informative and want to share it with other people? Put this in your sigspace, here or on other forums!

Code:

(make sure it's one line!)

Please ask any other questions you have here!

Good luck!
    last edited 4/04/07
    Quoted word for word from TUS. Most of the links go there as well, so like >_> don't click on links, I guess..

master_me + dA = <3

I'll contribute if you guys go ahead with this. I can render.

I'm all for it. I may be only a beginner, but I'll lend my skills (those I have) to the cause.
    Now 99% disease free!

Cool. Let me know what I can do to help.

I know DF's already made his design, but I really would love to design and code the site.

By the way, I know a few people outside of Gotwoot that could help with this.

master_me + dA = <3

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    Quote Originally Posted by master_me
    I know DF's already made his design, but I really would love to design and code the site.

By the way, I know a few people outside of Gotwoot that could help with this.
    My design is far from being even thought of as a design. I'd love for suggestions be given. I'll be on IRC mostly so will others that are interested in the project.

EDIT: temp url is Here
    Last edited by Deadfire; Wed, 05-02-2007 at 08:24 PM.
    image fail!

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i'm in.

I can render too, plus i'd like to learn how to use photomanips better.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

to Saberfire... I would
    The beta is now open for testing

Woot art Beta
    image fail!

to Saberfire... I would
    Rezing this from the ashes

This site became: http://www.ashiftingperspective.com/

However that was all a year ago when this got started, now I've gone back to it and started to remake what it was.

More or less this post is for those that remember this project.
    image fail!

I think this is just what i need to kickstart my creative flow. All teaching each other new styles and technique, improve toghether, collaborate together, sweet.

I'm not too great with web design or coding... but Im sure you know I know my way around photoshop :P

if whoever wants to work on the layout needs some help with the tedious shit im down to help out

Cool idea - but i'm only a bit good in 3d graphic and i haven't touched it for year, so don't except big stuff from me(i still can share my techniques of modeling).
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

I've got a good understanding of Adobe Fireworks, so I can help answer questions, and submit some information. I'll check out the beta site and such later tonight when I get home... Great idea though! *thumbs up* and we here at Gotwoot are the best...