Page 12 of 77 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned...

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar

Today I learned...

Makes me think of a certain G.I. Joe quote:
    Hey guys. Ah, you know it's funny. People...they go to sleep. They think everything's fine, everything's good. Then they wake up the next day and they're on fire.
    Today I learned that Togalog is classified as an Austronesian language. I also learned that along with suffixes and prefixes, there also exist infixes and circumfixes. Technically infixes don't occur very much in English (if at all, not quite sure), but one could stretch the term to apply to words like "re-goddamn-diculous" or "inbe-fuckin-lievable".

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would

Today I learned...

Today I learned that I'm not getting as much sleep as I'm suppose too. I'm suggested to get a new bed because it the problum. I was told that i roll to much in my bed and my body isn't getting rest.

Darn it I liked my fold out bed...course it does hurt the back
    image fail!

Today I learned...

Today I learned that my computer engineering teacher is a complete noob. Here are some of the stuff he has said:

-Processors haven't improved much the past couple years because clock speed isn't increasing
    -200 MHz is not the frontside bus, 800 MHz is
    -SLI is stupid because of the way the pixels are drawn on the screen. They should just make a single GPU that's twice as powerful
    -SATA hard drives are as fast as SCSI
    -Rambus owns (he boasts about his RDRAM everyday)
    -The case is more important, in his opinion, than the power supply
    -It's good to use a quad-CPU machine for gaming
    -The guy used to do professional web designing yet has never heard of RAID 5

For the fellow hardware gurus here, I think those examples are more than enough to show this guy's noobness. I mean...sitting there and listening to a computer teacher say such nonsense is just wrong. For the non-gurus reading, hearing this is equivalent to hearing something along the lines of "Hitler was stupid to kill the Jews himself. He should have just shipped them all to Japan so US nukes them together with the Japanese." Yeah, I hope that paints a clear enough picture.

That place over there........ahh never mind

Today I learned...

Today I learned another reason why I love my cellphone, not only do I have the FFVII victory theme on there, but now I have the 24 CTU phone ring thing that goes when they want to talk to each other.

Score [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

R.I.P Captain America.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)

Today I learned...

Today I learned that I'm not the only person in my class in danger of failing and not graduating. I'd say a good 50% of us are in the 'Holy crap what if I have to come back to school for ANOTHER year' zone.

Today I learned...

Today I learned that in an addition of binary numbers, the sum is the equivalent of an exclusive or operation and the carry out an and... crazy stuff.

98% of teens uses or has tried MySpace. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this in your signature

Today I learned...

Today I learned that the company I work for still can't get my server back up. And that if asked a question, and a stupid one at that, answer it with either a) a knowing laugh or b) complete and utter bullshit. People stop asking you stupid questions after that. Or, in my case, they keep coming back assuming I know everything. Why the fuck would you ask a co-op about your job? These people are idiots.

Also, if I take 19-20 credits a term for the next 5 terms, I will graduate on time (barely) without incuring any additional costs. So Kitkat, pfft. You got it easy.

"Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help."

Today I learned...

Originally posted by: KitKat
    Today I learned that I'm not the only person in my class in danger of failing and not graduating. I'd say a good 50% of us are in the 'Holy crap what if I have to come back to school for ANOTHER year' zone.
    Do what I am doing... pull out of your fourth year... you won't get a master's this way but a bachelors instead but hey... who needs the stress of exams???

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)

Today I learned...

You get a masters after 4 years??? I'm in a 5 year undergraduate program. This is my 5th year and if I pull out now I get nothing. If I fail I have to come back for a 6th year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Today I learned...

Its a strange kind of masters... an MEng. Its only really known in the UK and countries with education systems that resemble the UK's. An MSc is worth more though.

Today I learned...

I think its usually (even here in the U.S.)

2 yrs. - Bachelors Degree

4 yrs. - Masters Degree

1,000,000.54931728 years of hell to get a Ph.D.

And of course if your taking Med its weird and........I dont know.

Today I learned...

^Lol! In my experience in the US it is more like:

4-5 years - Bachelors

2-4 years - Masters

5+ years - Ph.D. I am in my 5th year and am hatin' it!

8-9 years - Med if you count residency.

edit: 200th post woot Genin!
    Currently watching: One Piece, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Death Note, Suzumiya Haruhi,
    The 12 Kingdoms, and Soukou no Strain (kinda)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#blood-scanlations~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I learned...

God#2...I don't know what the hell you're talking about...

Bachelors is 4 or 5 years. You don't even compare it with Masters or Ph.D because those are post-grad degrees.

Master is usually 3 or 4 years.

Ph.D is however long it takes. My dad got his Ph.D in like 7 years or so from research done at many schools.

Today I learned...

Wait, wait, my bad. I was thinking you get your bachelors at age 22, masters at 24.

My bad, I was thinking 20 + 2 = 22, so 2 years equals bachelors degree[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

You guys are right, around 4 years for a bachelors, and I know alot of people who got their masters 2 yrs. after. Ph.D is different throughout but I hear its Uber Stressful and alot of work.

Today I learned...

So wait a second... how old are you guys when you graduate from your bachelors? IN the UK you are usually either 21 or 22.

Today I learned...

That is the correct age.

Today I learned...

Originally posted by: God#2
    I think its usually (even here in the U.S.)

2 yrs. - Bachelors Degree
    Ahh, You were thinking of an associate's degree, which you can get in 2 years. Its kind of what you get if you go to a community college. That should only take you 2 years.

"Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help."

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

Today I learned...

I'm on my seventh of an eight year plan. I started in fall of 1999, and my current projected graduation is May of 2007. Don't worry too much about being nontraditional ... companies hiring you don't usually care how long it took you to get your degree, as long as you got there.

Oh, and today I realized that apple's success as a company is largely predicated on their removal of choice from their product lines. This somewhat corresponds with Barry Schwartz's "The Paradox of Choice" -- the principle that too many choices about unimportant things swamp our decision making ability and unnecessarily stress us in our endless pursuit of the best things.

Oh yeah, on degrees, I've known people who've made BS/BA degrees in as few as 3 years. A full time grad student in a master's program will typically complete the program in 2 years, but many master's students also work, and pursue their MS/MA in their spare time, via night classes or continuing education programs. That can draw it out a bit ... my mom took almost 7 years from the time she committed to pursuing her MS in education until she completed the coursework ... and she _still_ hasn't completed her master's thesis to actually get the degree (she's been putting off writing the final draft for like a year now).

PhD programs are varied. The PhD program in my university's CS department basically takes people straight from undergrad, and from grad school as well -- so you can enter the program the semester after you get your BS, pursuing your PhD. Most people complete the program, including the thesis, in roughly 4 years. But our CS department doesn't have a master's program (which is generally a continuation of undergrad work at a slightly higher level). Rather, you get admitted as a PhD student, and if you complete the coursework but find yourself incapable of mustering a thesis of any value to the real world, you can exit the program with what's called a "Terminal Master's". Basically it's the disgraceful way of exiting the PhD program ... you just sort of say "I can't take it anymore, academia isn't for me", don't write the thesis, get a master's degree, and go pursue your fortune in industry instead.

In the school of management, you generally have to have a master's (either a MS in management, or an MBA, or a MS in economics or math) to enter the PhD program. PhD students seem to last about 3 years, and then get their degrees.

The takeaway is that you can't really characterize how much work or time it takes in a specific program, there's a LOT of leeway in the different paths you can take to get to whereever you're going.

Today I learned...

today i learned that 1 GHz in a centrino laptop is = to 1.5 GHz in a pentium 4....very valuable for my laptop purcahsing.

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

Today I learned...

yeah, you should check out the benchmarks and stats for the latest intel desktop showing, "conroe". They're pretty exciting.

And code name "Merom" for the mobile platform is looking kinda slick too. It's the successor to the brand-new "core duo" stuff.

Check out anandtech's IDF coverage for more. http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2715