Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned...

Today I learned...

today I learnt that writing a script for a big japanese class presentation at 12:30+am leads to very random dialogue, and crazy ninja attacks.

98% of teens uses or has tried MySpace. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this in your signature

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar

Today I learned...

Today I learned raccoons demand cleanliness, and if you give a raccoon a live frog he will kill it by cleaning the slime off so hard.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Today I learned...

Today I learned something quite disgusting. You know the water that comes when a pregnant woman's water breaks before they are about to give birth? Well it turns out that the water smells like semen. Don't know the reason though.

Today I learned...

Today I learned how to earn 6-10 gold in less than an hour in WoW even if you are lvl 45 below.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)

Today I learned...

Today I learned that there hasn't been a new noun created in English using the 'th' suffix since the word width was coined in 1627.

I also learned that one of the reasons eating is prohibited at the library may be because if one is snacking on a delicious but crumbly cookie on the second floor balcony, a piece may break off and despite one's efforts to catch it, it may fall and bounce at just the right angle to cause it to fall through the gap and plummet over the edge to the first floor below where it has a (literally) head-on collision with the unsuspecting person studying below.

Today I learned...

Originally posted by: KitKat
    I also learned that one of the reasons eating is prohibited at the library may be because if one is snacking on a delicious but crumbly cookie on the second floor balcony, a piece may break off and despite one's efforts to catch it, it may fall and bounce at just the right angle to cause it to fall through the gap and plummet over the edge to the first floor below where it has a (literally) head-on collision with the unsuspecting person studying below.
    Meh, its not like you really liked that guy anyways.

---

Today I learned that Panetones(not sure how to spell), with nutella, dipped into hot tea is really good.

I also learnt that an orgasm is actually your blood leaving your lower abdomen. Thank you, friend's younger brother who's taking sex ed.

98% of teens uses or has tried MySpace. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this in your signature

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

Today I learned...

Today I learned (actually, its been over the past month...) that the proposed changes to the US Tax Code are extremely regressive. Basically almost all the moves will decrease taxes for the rich and raise them for the poor. This effect will be seen in Retail Taxes, elimination of Estate and Gift taxes, repeal of the Alternative Minimum Tax and numerous other changes.

Here is the President's Tax Panel's official report of proposed tax changes.

The Future of US Taxes

They claim that the objective is to "simplify the tax code", but that basically means allowing more room for high-income households to worm their way out of paying taxes while sweeping up middle and lower income households under broad categories that generally mean in increase in taxes.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)

Today I learned...

Originally posted by: Mr Squiggles
    Originally posted by: KitKat
    Meh, its not like you really liked that guy anyways.
    It was a girl actually, some random person I don't know. Now if it had been Assassin, well that would have been worth 50 points [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Today I learned...

Originally posted by: masamuneehs
    Today I learned (actually, its been over the past month...) that the proposed changes to the US Tax Code are extremely regressive. Basically almost all the moves will decrease taxes for the rich and raise them for the poor. This effect will be seen in Retail Taxes, elimination of Estate and Gift taxes, repeal of the Alternative Minimum Tax and numerous other changes.

Here is the President's Tax Panel's official report of proposed tax changes.

The Future of US Taxes

They claim that the objective is to "simplify the tax code", but that basically means allowing more room for high-income households to worm their way out of paying taxes while sweeping up middle and lower income households under broad categories that generally mean in increase in taxes.
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, this is gonna get ugly........[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

Today I learned...

Today I learned that the minoic period goes from 2800 bC to 1400 bC and that they used to be a matriarcal culture in which women held power as priestess and queens. Then on 1700 some natural disaster hit and they changed to a patriarcal culture whose main god was Zeus.

Fucking traitors.

無理してここまでやってきて これからもすっと同じだろう
    それでも何かを信じたい 心の奥の声

Today I learned...

today i learned that i could get away from anything.

Today I learned...

Today I learned that aznimperial has obviously not been chased by an army of psionic cyborg ninjas yet.

Today I learned...

well anything i encountered so far lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Today I learned...

Today, I learned that sticking a metal fork inside an electrical outlet is a bad idea despite peer pressure and general opinion.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

Today I learned...

Originally posted by: masamuneehs
    There's two reasons that the current tax law is as complex as it is: graduated income taxes and porkbarrel politics.

The first one is easy, and justifiable. It makes a lot of sense not to tax someone making $10,000/year as heavily as someone making $100,000/year, because one of them can afford it and the other can't. Not to mention that (today I learned that) we've had a graduated income tax since the Civil War.

The second one is because everyone thinks they are in the same boat as anyone making $10,000/year. Farmers think they deserve tax breaks and government subsidies because american agriculture produces on average about a 100% surplus every year. Stock traders think they deserve tax breaks because their assets are in the stock market. Rich people think they deserve breaks because they've got to pay for those yachts and limos somehow. Basically, every piece of income tax law is a loophole designed specifically to let someone's campaign contributor bump themselves into a lower tax bracket without actually making less money.

Interestingly, I'm sort of on the fence about taxes in the present. I'd rather see the government stop fucking with the tax system and start tightening their own belts instead (you want to spend HOW MANY billion on the war in iraq now? And wait, wait, how much on running people's shoes through gas chromatographs every year?).

Oh, but any time anyone says "simplify tax law", they usually mean "push the code a step closer to a flat tax, and save the wealthy a lot of money".

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

Today I learned...

Originally posted by: complich8
    There's two reasons that the current tax law is as complex as it is: graduated income taxes and porkbarrel politics.

Interestingly, I'm sort of on the fence about taxes in the present. I'd rather see the government stop fucking with the tax system and start tightening their own belts instead (you want to spend HOW MANY billion on the war in iraq now? And wait, wait, how much on running people's shoes through gas chromatographs every year?).

Oh, but any time anyone says "simplify tax law", they usually mean "push the code a step closer to a flat tax, and save the wealthy a lot of money".
    Good grief! Someone else understands this stuff too!

You are absolutley right on almost all of these points. Simple tax= flat tax, pork (spending gov't money to subsidize various industries and providing tax breaks) = votegarnering. Someone has to tell all these whiny and flim-flamming scurves that sometimes you need to take your damn medicine and pay far out the ass to maintain the lifestyle and systems that makes you the world's most powerful nation.

As for my opinion on military expenses... they're alot better than most of the 1900s... (as a percentage of gov't expenditure). War is the patron of science. The war in Iraq... not getting into that here...

Today I learned: Dino Buzzati is a watered down Kafka. If someone ever tells you that there is a Buzzati story you should read, there is a Kafka one that is at least 3x better.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Today I learned...

Today while doing my Economic History of US final I learned that:

1) Simply "annoying" a kangaroo rat could cost as much as $100,000 and a year in jail. Shining a flashlight on the animal was considered annoying.

2) A striptease bar in Los Angeles, the Odd Ball Cabaret, had to install a wheelchair ramp into its shower stall used in shows because of the lack of a ramp disciminated against strippers who needed a wheelchair.

3) Burger King was sued by a deaf woman who claimed that the drive-through windows discriminated against deaf people.

4) Citicorp Credit Services was sued by a woman whose body odor was so bad that co-workers testified in court that her smell made them sick; one manager claimed he could smell her at a distance of 35 feet.

Today I learned...

[quote]
    Originally posted by: Xollence

3) Burger King was sued by a deaf woman who claimed that the drive-through windows discriminated against deaf people.

Why thats funny and wrong. I thought the courts wont take these kind of cases. And how the Fuck a deaf person going to order thur Drive Window...

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would

Today I learned...

Today I learned a couple things

First that after missing about a Week of Gotwoot, nothing really gets better or worse here

Second I learned more about the users of another forum as I was targeted with a interesting outlook at my posting habits and effect on other posts. To give you all a example i was charactorrised as an Confident, corrective, sometimes blunt, others times sharp, sometimes layed back person that manipulates and keeps pretense under pretense too much.
    image fail!

Today I learned...

Originally posted by: aznimperialx
    Originally posted by: Xollence
    Why thats funny and wrong. I thought the courts wont take these kind of cases. And how the Fuck a deaf person going to order thur Drive Window...
    Burger King was sued by a (retarded) deaf woman (with shit for brains) who claimed that the drive-through windows discriminated against (retarded) deaf people (with nothing better to do).

God damn why doesn't she sue the entire music/movie/TV industry. Maybe she should sue her own parents for having children even though they were brother and sister.

Today I learned that people in america can get away with just about anything when they sue.