Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned...

Quote Originally Posted by Xollence
    The class is The Contemporary World / (grade: senior year in college) and we were doing a section on facism. He was basically talking about how he was able to control people and about his military achievements, like using blitzkrieg at the battle of France.
    Wow, I can't believe he got in trouble for that. I could see if he said that Hitler's "Final Solution" was genius or something, but to say his control of people and his military tactics and achievements made (in the early stages) were genius and get in trouble? Wow, fucking uptight class you got there. Still, pretty naive class.

Edit: @Below- Wow, that sucks. Another reason for me to hate all organized religions. Ha!

Edited to correct some things as revealed below.
    Last edited by Ero-Fan; Mon, 03-27-2006 at 03:45 PM.

"Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help."

Well it wasn't even his generals either, they tried to do a similar thing back in the first WW but it failed, they just changed it around a bit. And his generals didn't want to go through the Ardennes (sp?) because of their tanks, it was Hitler that wanted to.

Well what do you expect from a catholic university that hires a teacher that grew up in St. Petersburg for most of his life to teach about world connections. I'm sure there's no suspension involved or anything but I don't think the professor likes him too much.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    *sigh*

Hitler was a genius at some things. But, like most geniuses, he was also very lacking in other (and important) departments.

Offensive military leader: Genius (one of the best ever)
    Defensive/Retreat military leader: Idiot (Washington was the man at this)

Raising Morale/Support through speeches: Genius (i don't understand German and hearing some of his speeches give me goosebumps)
    Cunning/Diplomatic Speaker: Idiot (see the text of his conversations with Stalin... Way to get yourself an enemy....)

Indepedent Decision Maker: Genius (Riestag incident, among others)
    Cooperative Decision Maker: Idiot (see his reaction to recommendations from German generals on submitting to Allies)

but if you say really broad shit like 'Hitler was a genius' or 'Al Qaeda did a great job on 9/11', of course people are going to look at you like you should burn in hell. You need to be aware of the environment you're in when you touch on delicate subjects, and also take special care not to possibly imply something you don't agree too.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xollence
    Well what do you expect from a catholic university that hires a teacher that grew up in St. Petersburg for most of his life to teach about world connections. I'm sure there's no suspension involved or anything but I don't think the professor likes him too much.
    Just so no one generalizes about "uptight religious schools", I went to a Catholic Highschool. Both Sophomore and Freshman year someone did a speech/report on the subject of Hitler's military genious - despite his other questionable qualities. Both were pretty well accepted, with the Freshman teacher commending the student on picking such a seemingly controversial topic.

Today I learned there are loads of people who complain about "uptight" religious folk. But then again they do exist, so I'll refrain from getting too defensive. Fundamentalists, Mormons, and some of the people on my campus...just...yikes.

Today I learned that my physic/chemistry teacher will be teaching us math for the next 3 weeks until the school finds a fucking math teacher for the 4th term.

Physics are applied mathematics so I think you will do just fine. Unless physics there are totally different from sweden. In eight grade when our math teacher quit to become a yoga instuctor or something like that, the music teacher took over math class, permanently.

The problem is he is a horrible teacher. He is unable to communicate, to pass out the information.

"Today I learnt" that god has truly fucked me over. I was having phone sex with my friend, and she is very sweet, with a sexy voice, and yumm. Anywho, my phone died right when she was orgasming.

W T F Mate?

Yeah. God, I fucking hate you. Go away, and let me hear my friends ORGASM, you SOB!

I learnt, honestly, that having a knife in your hand when your bored is not a good thing. I cut marks into my desk, and played Tic-Tac-Toe with myself. I somehow made it into a cat's game.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    tic-tac-toe is a solved problem. There's no way to prevent two attentive players will always end in a draw.

Games that rely on the weakness of your opponent are not fun for very long -- Especially when your opponent is yourself.

I've destroyed many a piece of cheap panelboard furniture in my younger days... much of it the victim of an X-acto knife that tended to find its way into my hands when I was bored. Sometimes you just gotta slice another layer of particleboard off, just to see if the blade's still as sharp as it was ten minutes ago, right?

Oh man, you gave me a mighty fine laugh right there, lol.

Damn those X-acto knives! It's not our fault they cut shit!

Can we, the prepubescent children be blamed for being bored? No! Destroy knives, and we will all be a bit safer.

And yeah, but for me, it's every few seconds, instead of ten minutes.

Today I learned that being bored at work means I can be more productive in discovering new things. For example, I'm stage 4 in Kohlberg's stages of moral development.. Well, actually, I'm more 4 and a half, but they didn't describe that one too well.

If you're still playing with knives, wait until you get into fire and projectile weapons.

@Ero-Fan: I learned that earlier this year in my English class.

Today I learned that learning about Freud with a teacher that you think is a pedophile is scary.

Upstate, south side, west region, east of the 7-11.
    T.I.L that when you have a workout and come to school the next day with a REALLY soar muscle, everyone seems to touch it. "ouch"

Made by IFHTT
    “Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth—in a word, to know himself—so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves.” Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by xDarkMaster
    @Ero-Fan: I learned that earlier this year in my English class.

Today I learned that learning about Freud with a teacher that you think is a pedophile is scary.
    I was bored, what can I say? The internet is a fun place to kill time.
    You learned something in class? What the hell were you doing awake?? And any teacher that makes you think 'pedophile' should be scary.

Upstate, south side, west region, east of the 7-11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ero-Fan
    I was bored, what can I say? The internet is a fun place to kill time.
    You learned something in class? What the hell were you doing awake?? And any teacher that makes you think 'pedophile' should be scary.

My teacher makes me think of pedophile, but its a good thing because, shes 29, very curvy & HAWT , and im only one year under age (17)

T.I.L friends , or more like students/peers you know and are cool with, can be very horrible for no reason, only as long as it benefits them
    Last edited by drims; Tue, 03-28-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Made by IFHTT
    “Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth—in a word, to know himself—so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves.” Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by Ero-Fan
    Today I learned that being bored at work means I can be more productive in discovering new things. For example, I'm stage 4 in Kohlberg's stages of moral development.. Well, actually, I'm more 4 and a half, but they didn't describe that one too well.

If you're still playing with knives, wait until you get into fire and projectile weapons.

I am playing with fire, and projectiles. Ever use a Potato gun to shoot 50 firecrackers at someone? Oh yeah. I am a pyro, a huge one. I love fire, lol. SO good at making a fire burn for hours.:P

I just grabbed a knife cause it was right by me. LOL

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    Well it's that last couple of days but here is my summery i had to write for my first 2 days of my course

During the last couple days of this course I have learned a fair bit of skills. The first being the personality styles of that a person can possess. The second being some communication skills. Now of course, I didn’t just learn the names of the sections of the course I’m taken. I’ve also learned a fair amount about both, and using the rest of this page I will briefly summarize that information.

On day 1 we started with the subject of personality skills. I had been intrigued to know that there are 4 different types of personality that are based off 2 pairs of values. The pair of self-contained and open was the first. Basically this pair involves how a person reacts to an event or action. Do they get guarded or open when you ask them about their feelings on a matter? Do they want to cut straight to the task at hand or want to work at their own pace? These questions help you see which of the pairings they are. As a self-contained person would react in being guarded with their opinion and want to get to the task as fast as possible. The open person would do the opposite; they would be open in matters and work at their own pace. The other pair involves how a person will act, in either a direct way or an in-direct way. The direct person would be faster paced and assertive, while an in-direct person would be less so and more methodical. These pairs then make the four styles. Relaters who are feelings people that have fear sudden changes, come from the open and non-direct pairing. Stimulators at those with the open and direct values, which are ideas people who fear a loss of prestige. I’m part of the third group as I’m a self-contained-non-direct person or an analyzer, I’m more into the process and fear that darn criticism. The last style is a driver who comes from the self-contained-direct pairing, this person are the goals people who fear being taken advantage of.

On day 2 we had the class devoted to communication skills. The process in which information is outputted and inputted, with the focus being a conversion between two people. This process has two parts a sender and a receiver both of who have a part to play in it. The sender is the person speaking hopefully about the idea and encodes it to the receiver by using words and actions. The receiver then decodes it by reading it or listening, and hopefully sees the intent of the sender. This process has a lot of things that go in to it and these different things can add positive or negative effects to it. For example tone of voice, which affects the process in the way of how words are said. Picking the wrong tone or adding stress to words that aren’t needed to be cause the receiver to maybe get the wrong message during the process. Other things can cause the same thing like eye contact, showing respect and manners. Also the listener can cause this process to go amiss by having filters to the message. These can disrupt the message with non-verbal things like their cultural backgrounds, sets of values and biases. Your brain can even be a vice as you can think faster then you read and hear causing it to get bored. To help yourself as the listener it’s best if you try to be quiet, listen with the answer running, maintaining eye contact and not being judgmental.

That’s about it I’d say, I would go more in to what I’ve learned but this is a summery. Although I think I may have over done it, it’s fine for now. I’m looking forward to the next classes, even if they make me wake up at 5:30 in the morning
    image fail!

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    That was extremely interesting Deadfire. What course is it that you're taking?

The sender/receiver bit interested me the most. It reminded me of this English hypnotist named Darren Brown. He's so pro it's amazing. I saw a tv show done by him a while ago in which he displayed the subconcious aspects of communication. He basically gathered all these well-to-do businessmen/women and by giving them subconcious cues through his actions and words, got 3 out of 4 of them to rob an armored car by the end of the show. I say "hypnotist" but the guy just really understands human behavior and communication.

Here's a link to some video clips of his stuff in anyone's interested: http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...control/video/
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Wed, 03-29-2006 at 01:04 AM.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    That was all extremely interesting Deadfire. What course is it that you're taking?

The sender/receiver bit interested me the most. It reminded me of this English hypnotist named Darren Brown. He's so pro it's amazing. I saw a tv show done by him a while ago in which he displayed the subconcious aspects of communication. He basically gathered all these well-to-do businessmen/women and by giving them subconcious cues through his actions and words, got 3 out of 4 of them to rob an armored car by the end of the show. I say "hypnotist" but the guy just really understands human behavior and communication.
    Here's a link to some video clips of his stuff in anyone's interested: http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...control/video/
    I'm glad you liked it as I need to hand it in tomorrow :P

Anyways right now I'm taking a Professional Skills course that i have to do before i get to my real courses. It's basicly made to get you back in to the college and professional settings easier. I argee with you it is interesting stuff, and it really helps when your interacting with others with seeing though the mist per say to really to what a person means. It works on alot of levels, and can to the point that you can know someone you've never met before just by their speach and actions in reacting to questions and answers. With this knowledge you can easly convey your ideas to them for them to understand quickly with little understanding. As a leader you can use this knowlegde to see how to make them do something for you.

It's almost pure evil....
    image fail!

today i learned its funny when people rep you with a negitive comment but it is positive. Haha sucker remember to click "disapprove"