Page 70 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1539

Thread: Today I learned...

You think that's bad, you should see some of the roads in LA. Have you ever seen 5 or 6-street intersections? How about two roads running parallel, yet at one point trading places with each other? Then of course roads that turn from north/south to east/west and even worse once you get to the hills.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    the trading places thing can't happen in this area, because roads virtually never run parallel for more than a mile or so.

North-South to East-West .... yeah, we got that.

poly-intersections: Seven Corners, VA. is a bit bizarre, but it's less a single intersection and more about five acres of tangled intersection mess.

More complicated intersections in DC proper and in a lot of other places around here are handled with traffic circles, which is probably the best solution to a 7-way mess.

Beltways are present in major metropolitans(those goes east west, north-south then east west and north-south again). I am sure not that many people would complaint about that.
    Back to the topic, roads should be designed and named to ensure efficient transportation. The Japanese block by block system isn't any more difficult to use. Read a map, not every foot path is named for your convenience, that's why we have coordinates and tech assisted GPS.

You mean roundabouts. Which are actually a bit more common in Europe. They're supposed to be more efficient than 4-way stops, too.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    You mean roundabouts. Which are actually a bit more common in Europe. They're supposed to be more efficient than 4-way stops, too.
    As long as the traffic "self-regulate," it should be fine however it can creat a zone that some driver frequently get into fender bender. That said, I like roundabouts, a slow roundabouts is better because it works on a first come first serve basis.
    Last edited by depthcharge; Mon, 07-19-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    They're insanely unfair when some roads are much busier than others though.

When that happens, we often see roundabouts get upgraded to traffic lights so you can actually get out of the smaller streets.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo View Post
    The study shows that there were raised levels of testosterone in the subjects who abstained from masturbation for 3 weeks.
    If this science was true, wouldn't most priests and monks be ultra-aggressive?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Are you saying that majority of priests and monks doesn't masturbate?

How likely is that?

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    If this science was true, wouldn't most priests and monks be ultra-aggressive?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sex_abuse_cases

Plus what depthcharge said. It doesn't apply to sex, just masturbation.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sex_abuse_cases

Plus what depthcharge said. It doesn't apply to sex, just masturbation.
    I was wondering about the differentiation. Is it ejaculation (via sexual intercourse) that contributes to decreased testosterone or the act of choking the chicken (the mental aspect/shame) that decreases testosterone levels?

One of the tenets of Christianity (probably most major religions) is that masturbation is a sin.

As far as the Catholic pedophiles go, let's not generalize and suggest all men of the cloth are pedos.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I was wondering about the differentiation. Is it ejaculation (via sexual intercourse) that contributes to decreased testosterone or the act of choking the chicken (the mental aspect/shame) that decreases testosterone levels?
    Yeah I was wondering that myself. The study doesn't clarify, but seems to make a distinction. The only other study about sexual activity is this Chinese one, that found that after 7 days of abstinence you have a testosterone spike, but after the 8th day it drops back down:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12659241

One of the tenets of Christianity (probably most major religions) is that masturbation is a sin.

As far as the Catholic pedophiles go, let's not generalize and suggest all men of the cloth are pedos.
    I wasn't generalizing at all, just pointing out a trend that refutes the notion that a man of the cloth is without sexual desire. To believe that is pretty naive.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

I know pro fighters will abstain from sex for weeks in advance of a fight, most likely for the added testosterone. So it's most likely ejaculation period (sex or masturbation).

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    or maybe it's to keep their man-parts from being overly sensitive to sweaty dick-punching.

...that using a mortar and pestle is really, really hard work.

At last, I have completed the processing of the cayenne peppers I have been growing since April. I have a few tablespoons of cayenne powder, and an equal amount of hot pepper flakes (seeds too of course).

The powder tastes amazing. Nice heat, good flavor. I've got plenty of seeds saved for next year.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I learned that commas are actually used as decimal points in some parts of the world. I have always ignored it as some quirk in font conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by irc
    00(11:48:32) ! @Buffalobiian: oh, btw Ark, Krayz said something in the forum
    00(11:48:33) ! @Buffalobiian: Metro 2033 for no more than 10,20€ (~15$?) today
    15(11:48:45) @Arkangel: ...?
    15(11:48:47) @Arkangel: And?
    00(11:48:52) ! @Buffalobiian: he used a comma separate the numbers
    00(11:48:57) ! @Buffalobiian: is that a european thing?
    15(11:49:03) @Arkangel: I dunno
    15(11:49:07) @Arkangel: I rarely buy games
    15(11:49:17) @Arkangel: Only when they're dirt cheap
    00(11:49:21) ! @Buffalobiian: I mean in prices
    15(11:49:22) @Arkangel: I got css for 3 euros
    00(11:49:31) ! @Buffalobiian: that's meant to be 10 Euros and 20 "cents"
    00(11:49:46) ! @Buffalobiian: if you use cents for smaller-than-one-euro increments
    00(11:50:09) ! @Buffalobiian: I meant using a comma as a decimal point
    00(11:50:13) ! @Buffalobiian: when you talk about money
    15(11:50:21) @Arkangel: Oh
    00(11:50:23) ! @Buffalobiian: or any other number-ish thing
    15(11:50:30) @Arkangel: Usually it's .
    15(11:50:35) @Arkangel: , is only used in math
    00(11:50:46) ! @Buffalobiian: so . is used when talking about money
    00(11:50:52) ! @Buffalobiian: and , is used in math calcs?
    15(11:50:52) @Arkangel: Aye
    15(11:50:54) @Arkangel: Aye
    00(11:51:05) ! @Buffalobiian: and in maths, "," is used as a decimal?
    15(11:51:14) @Arkangel: Aye
    00(11:51:21) ! @Buffalobiian: okay, followup question
    00(11:51:31) ! @Buffalobiian: in maths, if you were to write ONE THOUSAND
    00(11:51:42) ! @Buffalobiian: do you write 1000,00
    00(11:51:49) ! @Buffalobiian: or 1,000,00
    00(11:51:55) ! @Buffalobiian: or 1,000.00
    00(11:52:00) ! @Buffalobiian: or 1 000,00
    00(11:52:05) ! @Buffalobiian: or 1 00.00
    00(11:52:09) ! @Buffalobiian: ./end of question
    15(11:52:24) @Arkangel: 1.000,000
    00(11:52:33) ! @Buffalobiian: ..
    00(11:52:37) ! @Buffalobiian: that's ot one thousand ark
    15(11:52:47) @Arkangel: Yes
    00(11:52:48) ! @Buffalobiian: unless you're using three decimals
    15(11:52:55) @Arkangel: Yes
    15(11:53:09) @Arkangel: Why is this so hard to get? >_>
    00(11:53:19) ! @Buffalobiian: so the decimal separates the thousand place, and the comma separates the decimal from the ones place?
    15(11:53:25) @Arkangel: LolAsutralia does things differently?
    00(11:53:32) ! @Buffalobiian: quite so
    00(11:53:49) ! @Buffalobiian: we use the . as a decimal point
    00(11:53:50) ! @Buffalobiian: ALWAYS
    00(11:53:52) ! @Buffalobiian: WITHOUT FAIL
    15(11:54:09) @Arkangel: Weirdos
    00(11:54:26) ! @Buffalobiian: old-school people will use the comma to separate the thousand from the hundred
    00(11:54:36) ! @Buffalobiian: using either 1,000.00
    00(11:54:45) ! @Buffalobiian: or 1'000.00
    00(11:55:01) ! @Buffalobiian: but the norm these days, as I was taught in school, is just to leave a space
    00(11:55:07) ! @Buffalobiian: 1 000.00
    00(11:55:12) ! @Buffalobiian: it looks weird in typing
    00(11:55:15) ! @Buffalobiian: and no one does it
    00(11:55:25) ! @Buffalobiian: but in writing, it looks less "separated"
    00(11:55:39) ! @Buffalobiian: the gap is less than that you'd use between words and other numbers
    00(11:55:50) ! @Buffalobiian: money follows the same rules as normal math calcs
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 10-27-2010 at 09:08 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

A comma is always used as the decimal mark over here. A space is used as the thousands separator.

I reckon it might be hard to notice this variation since most publications in English and the English language part of the net tend to stick to the same format (dot as the decimal mark) to keep things understandable, no matter where the person might be from. If you browsed foreign web sites in their own languages, you'd see the differences.

At least you Europeans format dates properly. mm/dd/yyyy

Oh wait...

/me head explodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    At least you Europeans format dates properly. mm/dd/yyyy
    You got that right. The stupid mm/dd/yyyy order is something I never use, not even if the expected recipients were used to it, no matter where I type dates. Because it makes no sense whatsoever. With the decimal mark a dot is just as good as a comma; there's absolutely no difference in logical value. But in that mixed date order I fail to see any reason. It's either dd.mm.year or year.mm.dd (or whatever you use to separate them from each other, a dot is used over here - that variation doesn't really bother me at all). It's either from the smallest unit (day) to the largest (year) or from the largest to the smallest if better by year ordering is required (like in folder names).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    You got that right. The stupid mm/dd/yyyy order is something I never use, not even if the expected recipients were used to it, no matter where I type dates.
    We may be one the few countries to use it, but it isn't stupid. It's quite sensible when you think about it.

It's the more common way one verbalizes the date. 02/03/2010 becomes "February 3rd, 2010." The European way is, "The 3rd of February, 2010." It is rarer (and more formalized) to use the latter way in speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    ...that using a mortar and pestle is really, really hard work.

At last, I have completed the processing of the cayenne peppers I have been growing since April. I have a few tablespoons of cayenne powder, and an equal amount of hot pepper flakes (seeds too of course).

The powder tastes amazing. Nice heat, good flavor. I've got plenty of seeds saved for next year.
    Likewise. I accidentally bought coffee beans instead of ground coffee so I have to hand grind with a mortar and pestle every morning (until this bag runs out). It's a pain in the ass, and I can't tell the difference in flavor anyway.