Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Piece Cancelled on 4Kids TV

Too darn lazy to login, so just lurking in the shadows instead.
    yay!! lets partay!

Maybe now I'll see OP....

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is going to lead to uncut DVDs or something like that.

4Kids just said they aren't making anymore episodes, but they still own the rights.

Which means first they'd have to sell them to another company. Then that company will have to start dubbing the whole series from scratch since the episodes were edited up BEFORE the voice actors worked on it.

And since thanks to 4Kids, One Piece is now a proven failed property. So all the odds of this happening have been reduced.

Awesome user with default custom title Deblas's Avatar
    Well, unless you are talking about another forum discussion, no one here has said anything about uncut dvd's.

It would surely benefit 4kids to sell the license instead of waiting for it to expire in 2009. Or they could probably do a joint license like they did with Funi with uncut eps. of Yugioh so they can get some profit out of it.

Problem is, they are getting shit for their adaptation. It didn't take off at 4kids t.v and it didn't take off at Toonami. Their line of merchandise was a complete flop as well, and selling merchandise is pretty much the main reason they dub anime in the first place. They don't live off the anime, they live off the merchandise they make for it.

Even if the dub was popular with some kids, like Lobster said, its huge in Japan, even bigger than Naruto. For something that big to capture such a small audience is crazy as well as sad.

4kids surely did it this time. There is no doubt that One Piece is cartoony and not something "mature looking" like Fullmetal Alchemist. But the content is TOO MUCH for them to edit. They thought they could do like they did with Yugioh (as well as maybe other shows i dont know about) but they slowly began to see just how graphic it can really be and that its too much for their targeted audience so they just ended up editing huge amounts of parts in each eps. How they were going to handle Jaya and above is completely beyond me.

If it wasn't for 4kids fucked up minds thinking they could edit such a show like they have previously done, I probably would have been seeing a huge picture of Nami in the chalkboard instead of Anko at my classrooms. =/

I might add though that the manga is popular enough. So there might be a chance for a revival. Other companies might get discouraged since it has such a bad rep thanks to 4kids but if enough people show that they really want it, they could pick it up. One thing they can do is a kickass trailer probably adding a little comment about how it was butchered and show them just what an awesome show it is. A presentation at a con of some sort. And even though I already have K-F, I want it to do good in America because the Naruto fever is really getting on my nerves. =/

--------------------------------"THE DROPOUT CREW"-------------------------------
    ___________________Captain Dropout For Life__________________

Quote Originally Posted by Deblas
    Well, unless you are talking about another forum discussion, no one here has said anything about uncut dvd's.
    True, but several people have mentioned that they might "get to see good dubs now", which, if they aren't talking about the possibility of someone releasing uncut dvd versions, I'm not sure what they could mean. I don't think anyone could seriously think that even if the whole series gets redubbed that it will be aired on TV again.

Because of it's past failure One Piece is now a niche anime here, so the best you could hope for is a rerelease on DVD much like they've been doing with DBZ recently.

Despite what Deblas said, I'm still thinking that OP in America is finished for a few years at least. Why? When Harmony Gold did their initial run of eps of Dragonball and then didn't make any more episodes, DB didn't get a revival for at least 10 years (can't remember exactly how long it was). There might have been licensing issues there that prevented it, but it still took a long time to make a comeback.

A second thing to consider is that companies can be very vindictive about their properties. Babylon 5 was owned by Warner, and that show exceeded all their expectations even though the execs hated it and wanted to see it fail. So when Sci-Fi came along and wanted to do an offshoot of the series, they purposely held onto the rights for years to try and kill any chances of a revival. If 4kids is really upset that they didn't succeed with OP, they may just hold onto the rights to "bury" it in effect.

I'm hoping that another company gets it and runs a promo with the tag line "You haven't seen real One Piece yet!" with clips of the uncensored material. But I think it will take years, if ever, for this to happen.

Awesome user with default custom title Deblas's Avatar
    Dragonball didn't really make much of a combat. It was revived not because they gave it another try, It was because Dragon Ball Z became a huge hit in America.

I still say it can become a hit once it's in the right hands. I just want it to be sooner than later. Ohh well, they say the spanish dub is good at least. Hell, One Piece is popular everywhere except North America. =/

Its true though about holding the rights just cause they're dickheads. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Deblas; Thu, 12-07-2006 at 05:30 PM.

--------------------------------"THE DROPOUT CREW"-------------------------------
    ___________________Captain Dropout For Life__________________