Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gundam Build Fighters

Gundam Build Fighters

Huh, I was sure there was a thread for this already, but I couldnt find anything. Here goes:

Rinko_Iori.jpg.png

The story is set in the near future when GunPla Battles, competitions that pit Gundam plastic models against each other, have become popular worldwide in the "Second GunPla Boom." Sei Iori, a first-year middle-school student and the only son of a model shop owner, is talented at building GunPla, but inexperienced in the GunPla Battles. He encounters a mysterious boy named Reiji, who happens to be an accomplished Gundam Fighter. Together, they strive for the GunPla Battle world championships.
    ----------------------

The fight versus Fellini was reaaaally neat. Im still waiting for the inevitable revelation that the typical Gundam-universe is actually real, after all its heavily hinted at with Reiji and that silver girl. Its sometimes hard to enjoy the drama when its only toys. So maybe that will change.

Still, great episode.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

I started to watch this show after I noticed the Finnish character and wanted to see it for myself out of petty curiosity. You say it can be hard to enjoy the drama when it's only toys, but in this specific case it's the opposite for me: I tend to find Gundam hard to enjoy because it's so much about the Gundam religion and Gundam and Gundam and Gundam and Gundam, but since they are all toys in this show, it doesn't really matter. I mean, it's all basically simulated in the game here, even if there is a physical part to it and the build of the toy matters hugely, but in the end they are still toys in a game. Above all the skills of the one remote controlling the toy seem to matter much more than in the actual Gundam shows I've watched, where it has almost always been a simple situation of a true Gundam beating all the other mecha out of the sky no questions asked, just because it's Gundam.

I've been enjoying this surprisingly much. The fights have been good enough. I very much doubt there's going to be any revelation the real Gundam universe is there, like you say. This show is about the toy fighting tournament. The other stuff is there only to build the characters, to give them some extra personality and motivation. Reiji and the company boss are from some other world, and the boss brought the technology with him, I reckon, so I suppose that's a nice enough explanation to make the games possible.

I don't really expect it to happen, but I hope Aila and Renji get a bit closer to each other. Otherwise I'm just looking forward to seeing the rest of the tournament.

I guess this should technically be in the Gundam forum...

I thought about making a thread for this in the Gundam forums, but I failed to update with Gundam Age so I figured I better not try. Then again, this is far more interesting than AGE.

GBF is just a treat for anyone who's seen every other Gundam series. Most episodes I crack up just on all the difference references being made. Also this is one of the few chances that we will ever see mobile suits from other series going at each other. And who thought we would ever see G-Savior in animated form?

Last episode was pretty good. I wonder if we will see new improvements to the Fenice and SB Strike.

Quote Originally Posted by vejita613 View Post
    Last episode was pretty good. I wonder if we will see new improvements to the Fenice and SB Strike.
    If Iori indeed is as talented as Moustache-san says, then he ought to seize the opportunity to include something new, considering he's almost rebuilding the thing from scratch. That would be logical, even if he can't very well have the time to revolutionize it anymore, nor test and finetune whatever he does. On the other hand, the mecha's capabilities have been finally shown through and through, so it might be more interesting to watch them to put it to perfect use when the audience already knows the technical limits, instead of just pulling new stuff out of nowhere.

One thing bothering me is how nobody's paying any attention to Aila's fighting style, which is utterly different from everybody else. I reckon nobody knows what's really happening when her opponents are immediately obliterated. You'd think people would strive to find out what's going on so that they could defend themselves against it, especially if she's a one-technique wonder, despite the lance the mecha is carrying as well. All the others are fighting remarkably traditionally compared to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    One thing bothering me is how nobody's paying any attention to Aila's fighting style, which is utterly different from everybody else. I reckon nobody knows what's really happening when her opponents are immediately obliterated. You'd think people would strive to find out what's going on so that they could defend themselves against it, especially if she's a one-technique wonder, despite the lance the mecha is carrying as well. All the others are fighting remarkably traditionally compared to her.
    Agreed. It kind of feels like she's being ignored. Maybe because she's a girl? I wouldn't think so since she's taking out all her opponents in a matter of seconds. She even took out last years world champion. In real sports, how many hours to players and coaching staff usually take to watch videos of the opposing teams? I figure the same would be true for this as well. I would expect we would see groups of people gathering before each match trying to figure out some sort of defense against her. She's obviously using some sort of funnel/bit system, but there aren't even any beams. Possibly extremely fast, melee version? She had that lance thing with her the last match but she doesn't even really need it.

Also, was I the only one that was surprised to see Iori's Dad? For some reason, I had this impression since the start of the series that he was dead.
    I speak only when I feel it's necessary.

Also, was I the only one that was surprised to see Iori's Dad? For some reason, I had this impression since the start of the series that he was dead.
    Nah, I'm quite sure they mentioned he's merely travelling abroad. At the very least I never thought he would be gone for good. If he was, I think it would have affected Sei and Rinko a bit more. The old man returning is bad news for Ral-san, though, since he might not be able to hang out at the shop ogling Rinko so much anymore.

Considering that the plot progresses similar to say, Beyblade, etc., I doubt it would be an issue until the actual fight against any of the real competitors (because, let's face it, everyone else is just there to be blown up.). Everyone in the tournament practically have the mindset of "no one is a threat" save for Sei and Reiji. In fact, their Gundam has been the only one that has been analyzed by their competitors. So far, the biggest threats should be Aila (Invisible/Mirrored Funnels), Nils (some sort of plavsky particle power up with the secondary arms), and Tatsuya (Lots of guns).

So far, the show has been great. I do appreciate that all suits are basically equal and can be destroyed with a well placed shot. This makes it so no one suit is the end all be all. Can't wait to see the Exia Dark Matter (last silhouetted gundam in the opening). If I had to guess, the last enemy will either be that or Tatsuya.

Edit: This show reminds me alot of Angelic Layer, just with Gundams.

She's obviously using some sort of funnel/bit system, but there aren't even any beams. Possibly extremely fast, melee version?.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixZeroAlastor View Post
    So far, the biggest threats should be Aila (Invisible/Mirrored Funnels),
    After a couple of her wins, I began to think maybe it's some kind of monofilament whip, naturally powered by the plavsky particles.

After a couple of her wins, I began to think maybe it's some kind of monofilament whip, naturally powered by the plavsky particles.
    Probably more like fangs from 00 since we can't be sure she is even firing. Maybe she is firing condensed plavsky particles.

I kinda hate that bandai has toys since it ruins the surprise of what some of the suits in the opening will look like. I won't post them here, but for those interested, scans have poped up of what Miss Sazabi and Exia Dark Matter look like.

I saw Sazabi. I haven't seen Exia yet. But yes, it is rather annoying how they do that. I think the same thing happened with Build MK II and Star Build. I mean I get they want to hype up their gunpla but atleast wait until they show up first before you start spoiling everything.

I'm 3 episodes in and this show is just completely ridiculously stupid. Is the intended audience 7-10 year-olds with the advertising at full throttle? Go, Build Strike Full Package!

Quote Originally Posted by lelouch View Post
    I'm 3 episodes in and this show is just completely ridiculously stupid. Is the intended audience 7-10 year-olds with the advertising at full throttle? Go, Build Strike Full Package!
    You can watch the sage releases if the ads bother you. Otherwise what you say is true, with the exception that I reckon the age range is likely much larger. All manner of Gundam models have always been sold to collectors (or in fact all manner of merchandise). Fortunately it's not like the story itself would be nothing but a giant, blatant commercial.

16:

- - - - - - --

Looks like Aila can fight more traditionally as well, with an inferior machine. It's kind of strange how she's made so indifferent (what comes to Gunpla) yet got so easily into the final 16. Of course Nemesis likely poured vast amounts of money into the model and other stuff, but surely she must have some skills as well, despite hating the sport. Although she once said it's painful so I imagine there's something shady going on, maybe the helmet she's wearing isn't all aesthetics but serves some functional purpose, like enhancing parallel processing that's hurting her senses and brain.

Pretty poor art in this episode, I have to say. I'm not normally one to pay extra attention to it, so it needs to get quite abysmal before I take notice. But better take money from the budget of a filler episode like this rather than actual tournament fights, as much as I enjoy watching Aila.

Too bad about the Iori old man. He's been away from home for a long time, and with a super hot wife like that waiting for him, there's no question about what he would have wanted to do all night long. But then again, that's what he deserves for trying to be too mysterious without having the wits for it.

Booo! I thought the dad was dead or something. Now what about my fanfic about Rinko and the mustache-guy becoming a couple

Episode itself was mediocre. The gunpla-building stuff felt a bit too much like an advertising.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Ugh no, after all the...pictures I've seen of Ral/Rinko, I will pass. Besides, Ra was married in the original series. He should be married in this series to dang it.

I rather liked this episode, but mostly because I like Reiji and Aila. It's kind of disappointing that Sei didn't see his Dad, but he seems OK with it. At the very least, he instilled the joy of building Gunpla into them. Makes me want to start building again. I still have two RG's I need to work on.

Looks like they will be facing off against Mao next episode. "Ready? Go!" made me laugh. Also makes me wonder why there aren't more G Gundam Gunpla in these tournaments. It's the one Gundam series that would make the most sense.

There has been some minor representation from G-Gundam. Nobel gundam was in an early episode. Maxter Gundam was in the race. In the opening, a Master Gundam variant is one of the silhouettes. I doubt you will see much more than that though since this show ignores other series gundam abilities. None of the G-Gundams could achieve hyper mode since this show follows the use of Plavsky Particles.

Aren't the battles basically augmented reality in this show? The arenas seems to scan the Gundam models and then give them attributes according to the scan results (so that something that looks like a rifle would shoot a beam or a missile would get propulsion and a working warhead). Other than that, it seems to me the system also rewards innovative modding, like unusual building materials, although that might be partially related to how the stuff reacts with plavsky particles. So, basically anything should be able to happen, but some things might be removed/limited for the sake of fair play. Aside from the movements of the physical models, it's all an illusion, after all.

Excellent battle with Mao this week. I can't wait to see them fight Nils.

Man I felt so bad for Mao. But, unlike the match with Fellini, there could only be one winner. He fought hard, nothing to be ashamed about.

I don't think I could be a student at the Shingyo school. They believe in originality in Gunpla, while I try to make mine as closely as possible to how they are represented from the source material. Customized Gunpla looks nice and everything, but it's not something I've personally been interested in doing. I do like their philosophy though and the Master's taste in female characters.

It was a surprisingly entertaining fight despite the outcome being obvious from the start, for the sake of the larger story. So, instead the episode concentrated on building Mao's character still a bit more and give the fight some extra spirit, or purity, so that it would matter in other ways.

I never liked the whole Meijin Kawaguchi phenomenon, so I'm happy he actually needs to invest some effort in getting rid of his next opponent, apparently getting surprised once or twice during the battle.

But more than anything, I'm now wondering how the next tier in the upper left quadrant will end up: It's going to be Fellini vs Aila. This time they didn't even bother to show the first fights, but I very much doubt they could shrug off Fellini's next fight by only announcing the result afterwards. Fellini has been around for a long time now, interacting with Reiji a lot, but on the other hand they already met in battle. If Aila lost the fight, she would never fight against Reiji and Reiji wouldn't even learn she's one of the top combatants in the tournament, which would be more than strange all things considered. So, I guess she will win. Naturally that would make her all the more ominous opponent for Reiji and Iori in the semi-final, seeing how those two respect Fellini a lot.