Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: The "I'm Going on Vacation" Thread

Hay peeps, tomorrow I am going to NYC for like a week, but maybe I will have access to a computer so I can spam you guys some more~! <3
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Freshman orientation or something?

Have fun!
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Wed, 07-09-2008 at 06:39 PM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Pictures please, Sapphire. And ammo, lots of ammo.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I'm staying there for a while. Si, orientation por NYU. Getting kidnapped and sold into a drug chain today, I guess.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Thu, 07-10-2008 at 07:29 AM.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    NYU aye?..What did you get into?

I'm trying to figure out whether the drug reference is to NYC or your degree itself...

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Just answering DB's question from the 'Where are you from' thread...

What part of Canada are you looking at? Because it's a pretty large country, and unless you have a lot of money to fly around, you're probably going to stick to only one or two provinces. It also depends on what sort of activities you want to do, urban vs. wilderness, and what time of year you're coming. Because, if you want to go hiking or rock climbing in May, you're going to end up covered in mosquito and blackfly bites. Or if you want to go skiiing in the summer, you'll have to go to the mountains in Alberta or BC.

Well I'd like to give the mosquitos and stuff a miss if possible.

I guess I don't really want to just go to from one big city in the UK to another. I'm looking for something scenic, some place with good views and maybe something interesting to explore. How's the interstate rail service? I was thinking of maybe taking the train to go from state to state if it is cheap enough.

One thing I was thinking was taking a drive up the rockies, I heard they have something called 'drive to the sky' or something which sounded interesting.

So I had these things in mind so can't really decide!

I've been to Vancouver in the summer, Niagra Falls in the summer (for the stereotype touristy vacation), and Montreal/Quebec City in the mid-late winter.

I honestly had the most fun in Montreal and Quebec City in the dead of winter. My friends and I accidentally arrived in Montreal on the final night of Festival Montr&#233;al en Lumi&#232;re and had a blast, got late night food/alcohol from a depanar (probably spelling that wrong, a convenience store), and stayed for 3 nights in a 3 bedroom apartment for like $150 (USD) per night. Hit up a couple stores, musuems and bars the next days (going to the Biodome in the winter was neat too) and set off for Quebec City.

On the way there we dropped by the Ice Hotel (site), and stayed in the Old City a street or two from the Citadel. Again, about $150 USD a night in this really old kickass hotel on the square across from the Hotel Chateau Frontenac. In Quebec we got the true Canadian experience of -40&#176;F wind chill. We hit up a few shops and ate at some local diner places before we made way for the States.

Going in the off-season was one of the best ideas. We got super cheap deals on lodging.

Vancouver was a pretty typical city, though my folks and I dropped by the Museum of Anthropology at UBC while we were there. It was really interesting.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Well, if you're coming sometime soon, you could do some of the fun wintery things Ryllharu talked about in Ontario and Quebec. I believe VIA Rail (the highway robbers of all rail companies) have a pretty good deal for travel within the southern parts of those two provinces if you want to see a lot of the country. Definitely stick to the cities this time of year. Ottawa has a really cool hostel you can stay at that used to be a jail, which is fun.

If you want to visit some of Canada's warmer climes, Vancouver is about equivalent to England in the winter. Cool and rainy, but not really too cold. I think you were referring to the 'Sea to Sky' highway perhaps in your post, which goes from Vancouver up to Whistler. It really is a gorgeous drive, and if you do any skiing or snowboarding, Whistler is a top-notch place to go. You can even just get a pedestrian pass or whatever they call it, and ride the gondola up the mountain to look around, and then ride it back down.

Jumping on the bus to go on "vacation" in around one hour from now. Well it's actually the compulsory Finnish military service i am going to. Hopefully i'll be done in 6 months instead of 12, so this means i'll be even less active and lurking a whole lot less from now on

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    thailand in a week, for a week. any recommendations? besides not to wear yellow or red?

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by Sandldan
    Jumping on the bus to go on "vacation" in around one hour from now. Well it's actually the compulsory Finnish military service i am going to. Hopefully i'll be done in 6 months instead of 12, so this means i'll be even less active and lurking a whole lot less from now on
    I think we have enough soldiers in the forum to overthrow a small country... let's do it.

well, at least it's summer now, maybe you'll finish it before the cold season starts.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    thailand in a week, for a week. any recommendations? besides not to wear yellow or red?
    Buy a wife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP0O8TPAdhA

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

I'm off to Japan for 3 weeks, I fly on Wednesday (24th). I've never been overseas before as I always said I'd leave traveling until I was more established in my career with more money.
    Because of that I'm not particularly bouncing-off-the-walls excited, there's so many unknown factors and I don't really know what to expect.

The tour I'm doing is pretty free and easy, from what I can gather they recommend things for you to do but you're free to go wherever you like. Possibly the same as all tours? I'm not sure.
    I've heard there's a big metal scene over there so I'll be trying to get in on that if I can.
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

If you're going to Tokoyo, there's a metal joint in Shinjuku called Club Wire. You can find it in the basement of the Hanazono shrine building. The music doesn't really pick up until almost midnight.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    I'm off to Japan for 3 weeks, I fly on Wednesday (24th). I've never been overseas before as I always said I'd leave traveling until I was more established in my career with more money.
    Because of that I'm not particularly bouncing-off-the-walls excited, there's so many unknown factors and I don't really know what to expect.

The tour I'm doing is pretty free and easy, from what I can gather they recommend things for you to do but you're free to go wherever you like. Possibly the same as all tours? I'm not sure.
    I've heard there's a big metal scene over there so I'll be trying to get in on that if I can.
    Are you white or yellow or other?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    I'm off to Japan for 3 weeks, I fly on Wednesday (24th)
    hope you have a good trip. ironically, i'm going back to the US for 3 weeks, on the 25th.

if you have any questions, set them down!

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    I'm pretty sure he's white.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    No matter what I reply with, I know what you're about to say based on the other thread. Anyway, Bill's right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    i'm going back to the US for 3 weeks, on the 25th.
    Nice. Forgive my ignorance though, but where are you normally if not in the US?
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

No matter what I reply with, I know what you're about to say based on the other thread. Anyway, Bill's right on the money.
    Nah, I'm over that, it's a losing battle. Fortunately there's attrition on both sides. Just wondering for wondering's sake.

Nice. Forgive my ignorance though, but where are you normally if not in the US?
    Last I heard he's been living the otaku dream (some would say nightmare) in Japan teaching English.