Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie Recommendations

Movie Recommendations

My idea is that instead of making a new thread for each movie we want to talk about. We could have this one thread and post short reviews, followed by a simple opinion if others should watch it or stay away. I think everyone would appreciate if the reviews are more than just one line saying "This movie rocks".

You may post reviews of old movies as well, but the main idea is to enlighten people about somewhat new movies. Also please discuss the movies that have been reviewed.

Use common sense regarding spoilers and such, especially when talking about new movies.

-----------------------------------------------------

I'll kick it off with a bang.

Movie: Kiss kiss bang bang (imdb link)

This is sort of a crime/detective movie but the atmosphere is so light hearted that you almost forget that part. I was genuinly shocked over grade of humour in this movie. I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a very long time. The thing is that the jokes are a little sneaky so you can't see them coming, and your caught completely off guard. And sometimes it even takes some time before the brain even comprehends the awsomeness of some jokes.

This is one of my favourite quotes from the movie, Harry (the main character) is at a party and a girl walks up to hi and asks.

B-Movie Actress: So what do you do?
    Harry Lockhart: I'm retired, I invented dice. What do you do?

Verdict: Watch this movie, you won't regret it.
    Last edited by el_boss; Tue, 03-28-2006 at 05:52 PM.

Movie recommendations

Tom Yum Goong with Tony Jaa is a amazing movie with fights that are so well done and awesome it looks like other martial art movies look like crap. Tony Jaa is the guy from Ong-Bak if you dont know his name.

There is a fight against a Capoiera guy that is done beutiful done,so fast,great camera work that me and bro did rewind to look at it again. I saw it last night and i wanna see it again.

The coolest action movie since 2003 Ong-Bak!

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

Movie recommendations

Friendly word of advice to posters: This thread is to make recommendations for movies. Now, would you ever recommend a movie to someone and then give away the ending or a plot twist? I don't know if spoiling movies falls under a violation of rules or not. Either way, let's use some fucking common sense and try not to do that...

Carrying on:
    "I want you to hit me as hard as you can."

The movie: Fight Club.
    1999, Directed by David Fincher, the same guy who directed Se7en. He got his start working Visual Effects for Lucasfilms (Return of the Jedi, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom). This and 7 are his masterpieces IMO.

Starring: Edward Norton and Brad Pitt. Also features Meat Loaf as 'Bob'.

Analysis: If you've never seen this movie you should do the following:
    1. Wash your hands. Use soap for once in your life.
    2. Find an open, somewhat clean space.
    3. Keeping your legs as straight as possible, put your hands on the ground.
    4. Stay that way until someone kicks you in your ass. You fucking deserve it.
    5. Go watch this movie.

Honestly, I know it sounds utterly cheesy, but this is one of those movies that "changed my life". No jokes. I saw this movie and it really got me thinking differently about life, my goals, the culture I live in, the deep shit. I believe every person should see this movie at least once, especially when they are young.

Also this movies has some really crazy shit in it. It's not just about fighting, that's just the surface. I quote this movie more often than any other. Excellent script, some stunning action and cinematography to die for. The dark humor and downright insane shit that goes on in some parts of this movie is unforgetable. This was also an awesome, and even more insane, book.

Warning: Link contains spoilers.
    Fight Club

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar

Movie recommendations

There are people who haven't seen Fight Club? What?

Meat Loaf's bitch tits alone are worth it.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Movie recommendations

You think that's wierd? I have actually met people that don't know what The Simpsons is.

Seriously, the only acceptable reason for not seeing Fight Club is being in a coma for the last 8 years. I'm really hoping that they will make a movie out of Chuck's book Choke.

Movie recommendations

Fight Club was a great movie,one of few movies Brad Pitt is good in.

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar

Movie recommendations

DONNIE DARKO.

Time travel, smurf philosophy, bunnies from outer space, paranoid schizophrenia

If these aren't enough reasons, nothing is.

Guess I should provide a link too
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Movie recommendations

Memento: one of the best movies ever.

If you havent seen it you have missed a masterpiece.

Movie recommendations

City of God.
    It's violent, but the film itself is so good.

More info: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d...1808439335&cf=info

Movie recommendations

Title: Good Night, and Good Luck

This is a story about a news anchor that fights the system in america back when communists where worse than homosexuals and muslims combined. It's kind of slow and uneventful, but I rather like these kind of movies. The entire movie is black and white (the color not the attitude) which really adds alot to the atmosphere.

On a side note: for this movie Gerge Clooney starred, directed and wrote the script.

As I said if you don't absolutely crave action packed movie, you will enjoy this movie.

Movie recommendations

george clooney is fucking awsome. I want him to be the father of my children

On that note watch Oceans Eleven and Oceans Twelve. Probably 2 of the best comedies out there. The script isn't just funny its smart and witty. Plus a star studded cast, and a great story.

The only reason not to watch these movies is if you follow a religion where george clooney is lucifer. In that case you need to switch religions and go watch these movies.

Movie recommendations

I think you would really like Kiss kiss bang bang. The humour is subtle like in Oceans 11/12 but you still laugh your ass off.

Movie recommendations

I just came back from watching Jet Li's latest martial arts film, Fearless, which is also his last in this genre. It's a great show, which had my wife crying buckets for the character he portrayed in the film. Based on true real life accounts, the movie was about the life of a chinese martial art master who defeated many westerners in the early 1900s. Great movie with lots of awesome fight scenes, and fitting for Jet Li's last. Highly recommended even for non Jet Li fans.

http://www.fearlessthemovie.com/

"Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Movie recommendations

Title: Waiting

As the title implies this movie is about the staff at a restaurant. You get to see what happens during one of their "ordinary" days. It's pretty funny at parts, but overall it isn't really that interesting. There's not much more to say, it's basically your run o' the mill american pie style teen comedy.

I wouldn't recommend this movie very highly, I guess if you have nothing to do it is an ok choice.

Movie recommendations

I just watched Saw 2. It isn't as good as the first but it's definitely worth watching. I bet they're gonna make a third one.

Awesome user with default custom title darkmetal505's Avatar

Movie recommendations

Originally posted by: Xollence
    I just watched Saw 2. It isn't as good as the first but it's definitely worth watching. I bet they're gonna make a third one.
    yea they are, next halloween i do believe

Movie recommendations

OMG are you serious? That just ruins the first one. They made a badass look like a pussy in the second one.

Movie recommendations

The Weather Man

It's about a Wheater Man (Nicholas Cage) who's divorced his wife, and he is trying to maintain a relationship with his two children. This movie feels very real somehow. The charcters and the plot feel really authentic. And the humor is very low key, but very funny. Seems like Nicholas Cage is doing a great comeback. First the brilliant "Lord of War" and now this little gem.

Watch this.

Movie recommendations

Originally posted by: el_boss
    Title: Waiting

As the title implies this movie is about the staff at a restaurant. You get to see what happens during one of their "ordinary" days. It's pretty funny at parts, but overall it isn't really that interesting. There's not much more to say, it's basically your run o' the mill american pie style teen comedy.

I wouldn't recommend this movie very highly, I guess if you have nothing to do it is an ok choice.

does that movie have the line
    Guy: when i look at you i wish i was a lesbian
    Lesbian: when i look at you, i'm glad i'm a lesbian.

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

Movie recommendations

Originally posted by: Assassin
    On that note watch Oceans Eleven and Oceans Twelve. Probably 2 of the best comedies out there. The script isn't just funny its smart and witty. Plus a star studded cast, and a great story.
    I LOVED Ocean's 11.... #12, though, wasn't great in my opinion. I felt like something was definitely lacking in the sequel but with Ocean's 11-- now that's a movie I can watch if I want to relax. Everything is done to near perfection. None of the cast needs to try too hard to play the roles they're assigned to and every cut, edit, and camera angle has a purpose that all eventually reveals itself at the end. I love it.

Well, I would recommend Akira Kurosawa's Samurai Seven but my Netflix DVD was a bum and became unplayable just after the intermission. But from what I've seen so far, that movie rocks. I can't believe I took this long to finally see half of it =P