Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Name Change

Can one of the Admins or Mods please change my name to Phoenix. I relize that Phoenix is already taken by someone, so can his account be deleted? My logic is this: I consider myself a good poster, and I'm involved in alot of the threads, where this guy hasnt showed up in over two years. I will be eternaly grateful to whoever can do this for me.

For all you awesome people, it's just Phoenix. The numbers are just the amount of times people misspell it.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

Name Change

i absolutely disagree with name changes idea

you got a name, i got a name, we both just arrived too late to get the exact version we wanted. Neither of us were smart enough to come up with a cooler sounding version of the name to work around the original already being taken. that's life.

besides, don't we already remember what happens when you just go deleting accounts? Whoever was Phoenix will have all his posts (and threads) deleted...

What if you disappear one day and come back two years later to find that someone else now has your name? (not that strong of an argument, but...)

besides, if I was a mod and gave you a name change, then can you imagine the number of people who would also come and request name changes? Granted, you do contribute a lot and I can't even recall the last time the original Phoenix was here... but I just don't agree with this idea...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Name Change

Well, its not like this hasnt happened before

http://forums.gotwoot.net/mess...GE=3&enterthread=y

complich8 had no preoblem giving name changes for a while (within reason). Anyway, the last time this guy showed up was September of 2003, and all the threads that he posted in were ether deleted by KRB's idiocy or just died over two years ago.

But I do understand a little about coming back and having a user name deleted and used by someone. How about sending him an e-mail and waiting about a week to see if he objects. That seems fair.

For all you awesome people, it's just Phoenix. The numbers are just the amount of times people misspell it.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

Name Change

at the same time as i see the point you make (about your name getting changed), i think that thread sorta shows how silly the entire name change process gets...

the problem really is that to just give you a name change and nobody else is pretty mean and unfair. If one member can do it, anyone should be able to. The problem is that people will start to change names so rapidly that there will be confusion in Quotes, older posts, quotes in older posts and whatnot. Besides, do I really want to go figuring out who is who after a radical name change? Not really...

guess we'll have to see what the GW administration decides on this one.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

Name Change

(1) Only admins can change account names, or alter most other account details. Currently, the admin staff is me, ciber, wilik, and terra.
    (2) I don't, as a matter of policy, delete accounts. Ever. KRB's fuckup should tell you why.
    (3) The account "phoenix" has 293 posts. Because this account has posted before (and fairly extensively, at that), they've earned the right to their name. Even if it is unoriginal and conflicts with your own.
    (4) I'm not opposed to name changes, as long as they're not frequent. If you really really want to change your name to something unique, I'm willing to do it. But just because you're a self-described good poster doesn't mean I'm going to kick someone else off of the name you want. As a matter of policy, I won't, ever. It sets a bad precedent that I'm unwilling to set. Even if the last time they showed up was ages ago ... it doesn't matter.

So, long story short ... if you want a name change, I'm fine with it, and I'll do it within reason. But I will never, EVER move a person off of their name to give it to someone else, regardless of the circumstances. Especially when it's a name with a high collision rate (such as ... well ... phoenix, which matches 11 names on these forums). Sorry, that's just how it is.

If you want to pick another name ... maybe one with fewer numbers tacked on the end? Or l33t-ified (ie: ph0enix)? I could do that for you.

Name Change

Originally posted by: complich8
    If you want to pick another name ... maybe one with fewer numbers tacked on the end? Or l33t-ified (ie: ph0enix)? I could do that for you.
    That's alright. Those numbers accualy has some importance to me, and I hate dealing with those numbers replace letters usernames. I'll just suck it up and stop my bitching.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    probably for the best :-D

comp is so democratic and just

<3

I want my name changed to RyougaZell
    its my old account, of which I lost my pass =p
    and the email it had does not exist anymore =p

IM pretty sure he is a mod and can do what he wants >> or at least Aone staff

If there is no law, who will police the police? If the mods/admins don't follow the rules, how can they expect us to (without some grief)?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    who will police the police?
    *shrugs* Iunno. Coast Guard?
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

Except it wasnt a worthless post? He said no.

It was worthless as far as I'm concerned. How about some elaboration? They ask me to turn over a new leaf, but refuse to help me in doing so.

So are you kissing mod ass trying to get KitKat's vacated mod position? Good luck with that.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

He does not need to elaborate. anyway I'm done here.
    P.S I did not even know Kitkat was a mod .. I havent posted on the forum for like two years :P

You give in too easily.

Maybe I'll create a new account instead. Thanks anyway.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    My post wasn't useless simply because it answered the question. I declined your request. I declined to offer justification for your request. That's all. I quoted you because the question was separated from the answer by a nonzero distance, so I felt it would be better to clarify what I was declining.

For reference, I'm an admin, not a mod. Mods can't do things like changing usernames. They also can't grant/revoke titles or make the sort of tweaks that I typically make. I try to keep my nose out of moderating in general unless there's some sort of staff dispute or obvious spam.

As far as making a new account: feel free. Heck, if you get it to a decent post count and end up somehow managing to get a positive rep with it, I might even consider merging your old one into it at some point in the future. But if you use it for ban evasion (ie: you get one account banned and you come back with the other), that's pretty good grounds for a permaban of both accounts and possibly an IP ban on every address you've ever posted from, if I'm feeling vindictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoskiddo
    Could you change my name to Spade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoskiddo
    fair enough. Done.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    name change request :

old : bbaucom

new : itadakimasu

Thanks

Sorry, no can do.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries