Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation System Overview

Quote Originally Posted by AssertnFailure
    hmmmm.....so basically, my rep's are the second most valuable in the forum.....

good to know =]
    Welllll, that sounds kind of ominous. I bet you'll have people kissing your ass all day long now

All Hail Assertn.

Noooo! Does this mean that my awesome post count doesn't matter since I'm an admin when it comes to reputation hits? Cruel fate!

(It's okay though, I can live with the trade )

That place over there........ahh never mind
    Quote Originally Posted by IFingHateTonTon
    Welllll, that sounds kind of ominous. I bet you'll have people kissing your ass all day long now

All Hail Assertn.
    I'm pretty sure we call that begging

R.I.P Captain America.

lol It was a joke as reference to the ass kissing part of my post lol. I don't beg, rep isn't important enough to me to make me look like an ass kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Terracosmo
    Noooo! Does this mean that my awesome post count doesn't matter since I'm an admin when it comes to reputation hits? Cruel fate!

(It's okay though, I can live with the trade )
    Ohh.....that's true.......

In that case, I DO have the highest rep value
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

well use, but technically so do other posters, who are also up there. for instance i see that post count seems to be a high factor in one's rep power.

took the time to calculate my rep power and in 2 days i'll have 18 rep power. thats pretty close to yours. so for anyone who's been here a 2 years and has over 2400 posts has 20 rep power. becuase 20 is the highest...right? (am i getting this right?)

2 years=4 6-month periods=4 rep points+2400posts/150=4 rep points+16rep points=20 rep points.
    Last edited by ChaosK; Tue, 03-14-2006 at 07:53 PM.

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

wow, i'm finally back from my trip back to Hong Kong. And now the whole forum's changed and there are reps. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoskiddo
    well use, but technically so do other posters, who are also up there. for instance i see that post count seems to be a high factor in one's rep power.

took the time to calculate my rep power and in 2 days i'll have 18 rep power. thats pretty close to yours. so for anyone who's been here a 2 years and has over 2400 posts has 20 rep power. becuase 20 is the highest...right? (am i getting this right?)

2 years=4 6-month periods=4 rep points+2400posts/150=4 rep points+16rep points=20 rep points.
    does that mean you and I "have the power"?

Edit: if you couldn't guess the quote above is a He-man reference
    Last edited by Knives122; Tue, 03-14-2006 at 08:12 PM.

R.I.P Captain America.

Cool Take heed

hm, hm, I wonder what kind of awesome repping power I might have?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh XYZ
    wow, i'm finally back from my trip back to Hong Kong. And now the whole forum's changed and there are reps. Pretty cool.
    Strange, I didn't know Chaoskiddo had been in Hong Kong...

In fact, he's been quite active recently on the forums, as usual.

Is this a reemergence of his split personality, Teh terrible XYZ? Or is it someone else accessing the forums from the exact same IP address?

We see you.

P.S. Give rep to yourself from your alternate accounts, or to your alternate accounts, and your Rep will be playing limbo.

"How low can you go?"

GotWoot Moderator

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoskiddo

Close, you got the math right, but your interpretation is wrong.

Rep power isn't capped at 20. Admin rep power is artificially pinned at 20. Reputation power is uncapped, so theoretically someone with ... say, 150000 posts would be laying out 1000-point reps.

I can arbitrarily tweak the power factors ... so if I think it's too unbalanced one way or the other, I can tune it to correct what I think's wrong with it. So far I'm pretty happy with the balance I've been seeing though. I might shift the influence a bit away from post count and toward age in the future, but I'm undecided as of yet.
    Last edited by complich8; Tue, 03-14-2006 at 08:57 PM.

I feel kinda like Naruto. I have the highest post count around and theoretically the highest power, but I'm like sealed from using it because of being an admin.

I feel like young Naruto, no power and unliked even though I'm trying my best...

My 10 reputation points just went down the drain pipe.

Commnet : you have too much power

Who is it? You coward. Show your face.

There were three people watching this thread when it happened.

well at least you still have a rep

when this thread got started someone(I know who but I'm not saying ) brought my none existent rep down to zero.

I was devastated

R.I.P Captain America.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Knives122

I just realized Black Cat sucks...took me long enough
    It took me 12 episodes to realize that.

This is a blatantly off-topic post. Get back on the subject and go post your opinion in the right place.

GotWoot Moderator
    Last edited by Gotwoot Moderator; Wed, 03-15-2006 at 09:27 AM.

Okay, I really like this system and like how it motivates people not to spam and make bad posts. However, I see a major flaw. I'm not only saying this because it has happened to me a few times, but because it's true. I've gotten like 3 down reps simply because people disagreed with the contents of my posts. They weren't just spam and thoughtless comments. And someone decided to down rep me for what seems like spite for disagreeing with them.

how do you tell if its a +rep or a -rep?

@xDarkMaster:

i agree that it kinda sucks, but i dont really see much choice. No system is perfect, so just hope that people wont be dicks and give out negative rep like that.

On the other hand, the rep is a way to show how other people feel about you....so technically its not a downside .

just remember, its not meant to be taken too seriously, as long as it encourages good posts, we can count it as a win.

Yeah, I know what you mean but I figured it was for useless and stupid posts, not for mere differnece of opinion...

Anyways, when you click on control panel if the button thing next to the comment is green it's + and if it's red it's -
    Last edited by xDarkMaster; Wed, 03-15-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Fine-tuning

I'm revamping the power system a little bit. now that we've got some basic reputations established and people seem to be getting used to the system.

Basically, I'm changing the weighting from emphasizing post count to more balanced representation of post count, forum age and accumulated rep.

Same formula to calculate your rep power: (age/age factor) + (posts/post factor) + (rep/rep factor).

I've changed it like this:
    age factor from 1/2 year to 30 days.
    post factor from 150 to 400.
    Finally, reputation factor from 50 to 25.

This gives many older posters a significant power boost, and gives newer people a bit more of a voice, particularly if they're good posters.

Further, I've increased the max rep hits per day from 20 to 30, decreased the fanout factor from 15 to 12, and lowered the "you don't count" threshold from -20 to -100 and the min post count from 25 to 20, and I've re-pinned admin hits at 25. This ease in restrictions means that people can join the rep system sooner (albeit with very little impact), and it's harder to be dropped out of the game. It also means that people can rep a little more often and on a slightly smaller subset of people.

Questions? Comments? Post them here!

awesome work as always compy