Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Bleach Dub Thread

I have to agree... much better than Naruto's dub, Bleach's dubbing is very well done, very natural.

sigh. tonight's episode made me cry against my will. twice. don't tell anyone though. but yeah, very well done episode.

Ahhh! yes re-waching this episodes is making me remeber why I stared to like tha anime in the first place now the last ones left hear is Ishida and Byakuya if those voices are fine that I wont mind any of the others

Signature by Lucifus

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Episode 6 is on Youtube:

Part 1/3
    Part 2/3
    Part 3/3

Notable new characters: Kon, Urahara, Tessai, Jinta, Ururu.

Anyone who's even looked at Metal Gear Solid 2 should recognize Quinton Flynn (a.k.a Raiden) as Kon. Personally I love his voice. He did a pretty good job as Kon inside Ichigo's body. We'll have to wait and see how he sounds as the hyperactive-lion we've all come to love him as, though. Next week should tell.

Tessai, Jinta, and Ururu all sounded ok I guess. Jinta sounds a bit young and shrill. Really childish and somewhat unnatural. Perhaps Maille Flannigan would have made a better Jinta. Ururu was perfect I think, and Tessai sounded pretty good.

Urahara...God. I can't accept Michael Lindsay as Urahara. His young, nasaly voice just does not fit Urahara at all. I can't say that enough. He was completely miscast. They picked the worst possible actor to reprise Shinichiro Miki's cool, cocky Urahara. The guy's not a bad actor at all. I love him in other roles. He just doesn't have the right sound to play this character. Major failure.

Ichigo sounded really funny in this episode. I lol'd when he was freaking in the warehouse out about Kon going around in his body. His Vash voice snuck through a bit. Good episode all in all.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

new credit and lyrics in this week's episode - arigatou by home made kazoku.

also, derek stephen prince is awesome as ishida.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    yes, super late on this, but better late than never, right?

wow, well i watched an episode of the Bleach dub today, and man did it remind how much I prefer fansubs... The Japanese VAs.... just levels better, more fitting of the animation style, the behavior, the characters...

I think it was Episode 15. The one where Kon runs away and Rukia decides to leave. It's the first episode with Yorouichi and Renji (at the very end), plus the minor characters at the school have tons of lines, as almost all the scenes are typical conversations between classes.

some of the dubbed voices sounded alright. Ichigo's was fine, Ishida's was pretty good too. Kon's.... I'm willing to accept it, Raiden (that's forever who this guy is to me) is obviously trying hard at it, and he's pretty zany, not a bad match. The one line of Yoro's cat voice didn't sound awful, but not quite distinctive or gravely enough.

echo what Xan said about Lindsey as Urahara, not a good match at all.

watching this episode was real tough, because it's so dialogue driven, and the english VA cast for the side-characters was less than stellar. For the girls I kept on thinking, "They sound so much alike!" and that was weird, since the Japanese VA's I can't actually understand their speech!, but the Jap. voices are all so different and unique... But every time the girls spoke, it was like listening to the same VA trying to pitch a slightly different character... Orihime, Tatsuki and Rukia obviously stood out as exceptions to this... Keigo's voice sucked particularly hard.

but what ruined it for me was Rukia's voice. This episode was the one where I really decided I liked Bleach, because I could watch a whole episode and just care about the characters! I found all the little conversations and hintings/foreshadowing in this not-action packed episode to be really entertaining still! Rukia is at center stage in this episode, hers is the plot movement. The Japanese VA did an absolutely fabulous job putting emotion into this episode.

the english Rukia just sucked. The whole episode I just shook my head everytime she tried to intone something. Half the time she just had a dull, level tone of voice, and that was probably the best part! Cuz every time she made an attempt to convey any sort of feeling or emotion she failed miserably.

and I'm not just a dub hater... I do like dubs and think they have a really difficult task to do, and expecting them to surpass the original production, which was the element the show was originally forged in, is ludicrous. But I was pretty disappointed with my first impression of the Bleach dub.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Oh dang, am I behind on the Bleach dub. I've only just now caught up with watching up to episode 20 on Youtube.

Before I say anything, I wanna say how hopeful I was when I saw episode #1. I loved it. Michelle Ruff has the perfect voice for Rukia, and Bosch's Ichigo is just so natural. Now though, I am gonna have to agree with Masa. As all the characters have had time to show what they can do, it's just become so mediocre, with only a few high points to note.

The dub has now ruined 2 voices for me: Urahara and Renji (played by Wally Wingert, of Family Guy fame - yeah, I said "Family Guy fame" so what? Wanna fight about it??). Renji's voice is just so terrible I can't stand it. He can't even pronounce his name OR his Zanpakuto's properly. Listening to him speak is like watching some shitty fan-dub. What were they thinking? Why does he sound so obnoxious? Based on the sound of his voice alone, I can't bring myself to listen to him for more than a minute. Like Urahara, he was completely miscast. Wingert should stick to American cartoons, 'cause he just sounds goofy as Renji.

God...Urahara. Y'know, I've ranted on several message boards about this on several different occasions, but I don't think it's quite out of my system yet: Urahara sucks. He has completely lost all the fancy in his voice, all his suave style, and just about everything else Shinichiro Miki brought to the role. Every funny scene is now devoid of humor, and he's got 0 energy. In particular, both of my favorite Urahara scenes were utterly butchered. They're just not funny anymore, and that's a real downer. .

There have also been several really strange changes made to the script that I can't get my head around. Why did they not fuzz out Zangetsu's name when he first introduced himself, like they did in Japanese? Why do they call Ishida "Uryuu", when everyone should refer to him as "Ishida"? Kon's "nice angle" line was also taken out completely earlier on. The scene when Orihime summoned her fairies, only to be attacked by them was just dead. These are minor quibbles, but they all are pretty jarring after having watched it in Japanese first. There have been other awkward script changes that I can't bring to mind at the moment, and they are few and far between, but each one just makes me scratch my head.

Anyway, here's episode 20:
    Episode 20 part 1
    Episode 20 part 2
    Episode 20 part 3

Wow. All my complaints aside, there are still several saving graces from this episode alone. Zaraki Kenpachi's voice is made of growls and win. I love it. He sounds just like a hulking tough guy should. Spot-freaking-on. Cat-Yoroichi is a great actor, destined to play the "sensei" character. I particularly liked his lines in part 3 at the 2:10 mark. It just flowed so damn nicely, like he was some sort of motivational speaker. I sat there, nodding my head, saying "yes sir, yes sir". The dude's got talent. Richard Epcar's rich voice was a great pick for Zangetsu. He's deep, forceful, and commanding. He lets his naturally powerful voice do all the work and I love it.

The best voices, in my opinion, all come from the Ichigo-gang. I've found I MUCH prefer Ishida's English voice to his Japanese one. He's had some moments of sincere depth in his readings thus far, and overall just has a fitting voice. Chad and Orihime are great. They work well of each other, and are decent actors too. Chad in particular is just hilarious every time he opens his mouth. Perfect voice for the role.

So yeah. A combination of the "pretty awesome" with the "exceedingly terrible" makes for a mediocre dub in my opinion. I like it, but I don't love it...
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Sat, 01-27-2007 at 05:40 AM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

omg...

Everytime time i watch the dub, my ears bleed uncontrollably. It's like watching a parody of the show, everything is pronounced wrong, people talk like idiots. only ichigo, gin, and zaraki's voices are decent. Byakuya, renji, and urahara (the most dissapointing of all) sound like they are short half a brain.

I was watching tonight, and when Ichigo was talking to Zangetsu, there was a song playing that I hear all the time in the series, but there were these soft english lyrics over it that I never noticed before. Was that always there, and they just don't play that version very often, or is that new to the dub?

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Every funny scene is now devoid of humor, and he's got 0 energy. In particular, both of my favorite Urahara scenes were utterly butchered. They're just not funny anymore, and that's a real downer.
    Really? I can't recall a situation where Urahara was anything but completely deadpan with maybe a half-a-smirk on his face.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Sun, 01-28-2007 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnder
    I was watching tonight, and when Ichigo was talking to Zangetsu, there was a song playing that I hear all the time in the series, but there were these soft english lyrics over it that I never noticed before. Was that always there, and they just don't play that version very often, or is that new to the dub?
    It's always been there. It really reminds me of a Yoko Kanno-type song, actually.

Really? I can't recall a situation where Urahara was anything but completely deadpan with maybe a half-a-smirk on his face.
    I'll assume you're talking about the Japanese version. In which case, you've got to be shitting me. Deadpan?? You and I must have different definitions of that word, or you've never actually listened to Urahara speak in Japanese. Part of the reason I love Shinichiro Miki so much is because his voice is so distinctive and his acting style so unique. I don't speak Japanese very well at all, but you can hear when it's him. He's just got "it".

Example: the episode that was on last night. There's a scene in this episode that is a great example of Urahara's quirkiness:
    Japanese version at the 4:15 mark.
    English version at the 4:45 mark.

To me, the difference in those performances is like night and day. Michael Lindsay just sounds like one of the adults from Charlie Brown. I can think of a handful of actors that could have pulled off the role so much better. I'm just disappointed in the wasted potential I guess...

Ah well, but at least it gives me a chance to rant about something I love .

Edit: and for the record, here's one of the scenes I was referring to as my favorite:
    Japanese version at 00:43
    English version at 1:30
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Sun, 01-28-2007 at 05:07 PM.

Haha, Mayuri sounds like Starscream.

JESUS Christ that was like major overload of horrible dubs... Okay so maybe that's being a little dramatic, but I was highly disappointed with a significant amount of the characters who were introduced. Or I should just wait until I hear them again, and not only for a second or two.
    I do my killin' after breakfast.

Haha, Mayuri sounds like Starscream.
    I'm pretty sure Mayuri is being played by Quinton Flynn (also playing Kon). Not too sure. In any case, he sounds great! You can tell they were going for an emulation of Mayuri's JP VA and I think it worked.

The rest of the new voices were also great. With the possible exception of Hitsugaya...who sounds much older than Romi Paku's version. I also think it might be Steve Staley playing him. And I fucking hate Steve Staley.

JESUS Christ that was like major overload of horrible dubs... Okay so maybe that's being a little dramatic, but I was highly disappointed with a significant amount of the characters who were introduced. Or I should just wait until I hear them again, and not only for a second or two.
    It's being extremely dramatic. None of the voices were bad at all. Why were they horrible? Because they sounded like normal people? I don't get why you're complaining. They didn't sound corny or forced or anything. .

In particular, I love Kukakku and Rangiku's (so damn sexy) voice. They're absolutely perfect.

Edit: A Youtube link to the episode if anyone's interested:
    Part 1/3
    Part 2/3
    Part 3/3
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Sun, 03-04-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo

It's being extremely dramatic. None of the voices were bad at all. Why were they horrible? Because they sounded like normal people? I don't get why you're complaining. They didn't sound corny or forced or anything. .
    Ever heard of something called an "opinion"? If not, you might wanna look it up.

the dub sounds pretty good to me

The one voice I didn't much care for was Kenpachi. He just didn't seem scary enough. He sounded almost uptight. Very serious. He needs more savagery!

Quote Originally Posted by knifecrew
    Ever heard of something called an "opinion"? If not, you might wanna look it up.
    Opinions are like assholes. They all stink, and knifecrew's has a dick in it.

So...your opinion stinks, too? *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by knifecrew
    No one's invalidating your opinion. I just asked why you thought they were so horrifically bad, when honestly, Bleach has one of the better anime dubs in recent memory. There are no glaring flaws. Almost every character speaks naturally and 90% of the terms are pronounced spot on. Also, in my opinion, most of the voices fit the characters just as well as the JP VA's.

It's cool if you don't like the dub. Just be ready for me to defend it, 'cause I think it's pretty decent.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Bleach has done well with some characters, such as Ichigo, Rukia, Kon and now I'm getting used to Renji. Orihime's VA is alright, I don't exactly have any beef with her. But Ishida, Chad, Urahara, and some more that I can't pull off of the top of my head right now, are where I start to have some problems.

However, I do recall saying that, as it was my first time hearing some of the other character's voices (Captain meeting scene), I would have to give it another try. And maybe I could get used to hearing them after a while.

Some evidence to point out:

Quote Originally Posted by myself
    So don't jump on my case just yet.

We're two different people with different tastes. You think the voices sound fine, but to me they weren't all that great. I don't think I need to say much more.

Opinions are like assholes. They all stink, and knifecrew's has a dick in it.
    Stop the unecessary flaming....no one cares what you think of someone elses opinion, or opinions in general. Consider this a verbal warning.