Thread: Major speed/router issues

Major speed/router issues

ok well, im back at home now on my rogers lite connection, which is 128kb/s max....pretty crappy just on its own, but even crappier when it doesn't work properly.

I've noticed major (MAJOR) speed issues while using utorrent. now maybe im wrong since i haven't really been home for 8 months, but the speed issues were never this bad before. First of all, i can't even get decent speeds with utorrent. im talking 5-7 kbps at most. 10 if im lucky. my ports are forwarded, im even set as the dmz host but the arrow on the torrents always stays red. under tracker status in "General Information" it says "connection closed by peer". I have protocol encryption enabled and the incoming legacy box checked.

whats worse is, when i have utorrent running, it seems to use all my bandwitdh, leaving my internet utterly useless. Im not talking slow load times here, im talking complete lack of functionality. not a single page will even load while utorrent is running. hell, i can't even access my damn router page when utorrent is running.

The router itself seems pretty fucked as well. it actually takes time to load the router page, and often it doesn't load properly (see picture below), with the layout all fucked up. im tempted to switch back to my 6 year old US Robotics router. i never had any problems while using that. my current router is Linksys wireless-G 2.4 ghz, 54 mpbs.

fucked up router page

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    One of the things I can think of right off the bat is that it is wireless. I'm thinking it maybe being used by someone else which is causing your slow down. As someone maybe using your bandwidth.

Other then that it may be best to look at a new rounter, or phoning up linksys and see what they have you do.
    image fail!

Eh, if you have one of those old routers, if you have a wide range of ports open, the routers will act gay like that. Don't know how, don't know why, it just does. If you do, close the ports and open open the needed.

Edit: Just checked the rest of your post. And I have the exact same router, even down to the firmware. Up to a week ago I had the same problem, I didn't have it before. Once I start torrents, I cant do anything else except let uTorrent run. It got decent speeds but nothing else, no internet/can't access router etc etc.

I also had to reset my router after I finished downloading to kickstart my internet again. The only different I could think of about 2 months ago when my uTorrent and router weren't gay till up to 2 weeks ago when its all gay is that I had opened "alot" of ports for Command And Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. Once I closed em, everything was normal again.
    Last edited by Lucifus; Fri, 04-27-2007 at 11:03 PM.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Check to see if anyone else is hooked up to it outside your household; if so, just make the router password protected and tell your neighbors to stop stealing your internet.

Otherwise, definitely go with what DF said.

master_me + dA = <3

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    To add another suggestion in the mix is update your fireware. so in order now

1. Make sure someone isn't stealing your wireless,
    2. Update your firmware thats in your router,
    3. If that still doesn't solve it phone up linksys and say what they have you do.
    4. Get a new one if they jerk you around or they don't know
    Last edited by Deadfire; Sat, 04-28-2007 at 04:19 PM.
    image fail!

no ones stealing my intarweb, its password protected. i've updated my firmware, but for some reason it wont update completely. it changed from v 1.00.09 to 1.02.00. but tahts not the latest update i think, cuz that update is jan 2007 and the latest is march 2007. the update file im using is the latest one, but after i update it, its doesn't give me the latest update. its kind of gay. also the update file from linksys is a .bin file, but it wont open with ultraISO. it says its an unknown image or file type.

You don't "open" the BIN file you get from Linksys. That's the firmware. You load it up in the router settings and flash with it.

Just because it's a BIN doesn't mean it's a disk image. The BIN extension is used for a lot of firmwares and BIOSs.

well i did load it up, but it doesn't update to the latest release, only to the jan 2007 release

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    "General Information" it says "connection closed by peer". I have protocol encryption enabled and the incoming legacy box checked.
    That is the message I get when my college is blocking torrent downloading.

Wait. You've looked at your firewall? I can't believe that hasn't been mentioned; that's almost certainly the issue.

master_me + dA = <3