Thread: Keeping your PC safe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Doesn't this belong in the general support section? Good stuff anyway.

I would recommend using some sort of virus shield. Avast and AVG are free anti-virus programs. Can't say much about them though since I have McAfee.

Hmmm, not sure if this goes here or not and it's random, but nice info man. This would really have helped me out awhile ago when I didn't know much.

Blog Entries
    Yeah i think it does belong in general support. But I'm going to use this thread to link people who ask stuff on the IRC channel. Plus everyone is getting sick of my security speeches as they put it

That place over there........ahh never mind
    you'd think Common sense and not using IE would be one in the same. I mean everyone should have that knowlege.

R.I.P Captain America.

thanks for the info....
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

I only use my router's firewall because it has proven to be pretty secure. I used to run Sygate firewall alongside my router's firewall but Sygate has never picked up anything (whereas it used to before I got a router), so to save some RAM I just use my router's firewall. (D-Link DI-624)

I tried installing Spybot a while ago but I think it doesn't like Win XP x64 very much... I'll give it another shot some time.

For Linux people who need a firewall try out Firestarter it works great for me and its easy to set up / configure.

Most of the best programs have already been mentioned. Firefox and Spybot are definite must-haves. Another good program to have in your article is Hijack this. When you're having trouble finding out what's causing trouble in your computer this program will work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by BOARD_of_command
    I only use my router's firewall because it has proven to be pretty secure. I used to run Sygate firewall alongside my router's firewall but Sygate has never picked up anything (whereas it used to before I got a router), so to save some RAM I just use my router's firewall. (D-Link DI-624)
    Generally, a hardware firefall is a better solution. To make an analogy, a software firewall is like putting a security system in your home; a hardware firewall is like putting a deadbolt in your door. It's simpler, easier, and (usually) more effective. Just my opinion.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco