Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    i don't really know what stream processors are but 4870 = 800 / 9800gtx = 128.

idk if all of the 4870's have gddr5 memory but thats kind of cool. i just bought 2 more 3870's off ebay for $185+15 shipping... i don't see myself getting another card for a while. My older x1950xt is still a very capable card.

anyhow... i think im going to put the guts back in the case sometime tonight. It looks like everything on my new system is running ok. I have it @ 3.4ghz and the ram at a little over 700mhz (highest spd = 752)

* I just got the 3870's in! I have to make a change or two to the water tube when I get home and then get everything tested w\ the 2 3870's.
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Fri, 07-18-2008 at 11:43 AM.

My Phenom 9500 is about 70% faster than my old X2 5200+ at x264 encoding. I love it. The best part about this is that I got the Phenom for free. Sure it's not as fast as Core2 Quads, but for free of charge, I can't complain. Now I truly have a dedicated encoding machine.

But the sad thing is... this is pretty much all a Phenom is good for. Multithreaded applications. My E6300 is still better for all day-to-day stuff.
    Last edited by Board of Command; Sat, 07-19-2008 at 12:12 PM.

i wanted to get a phenom but their low clock speed compared to the intel quads kept me away...

maybe if they bring out something impressive i will use it.

I got my system back together but the 2 video cards i put in did the same thing the first one did w\ drivers, i can boot to safe mode but then when i boot i get black screen.. i uninstalled and then installed the most recent driver but it did it again and i put it down for the night, but not before doing one more fsb increase to 450 putting it @ 3.6ghz and the ram @ 750mhz 7-7-7-20 timings idle temp 36-40 (per core) which is same as at 3.4

the cpu outside temp is 15-20c though, the cores are just more warm.

Here it is... got everything together today, luckily ati put out a new driver yesterday that fixed the problem i was having w\ crossfire.

LOL

is that why it was showing that I had 4 3870's in the catalyst software?

*feels stupid*

The box had two bridges in it so i just put both of them on

It should show four of them. Using two bridges has the same effect as using one.

i ran 3dmark and it scored a little over 15,000 at stock speeds. My amd 6400+ w\ 4gb ram and 3870 i think only got about 8000

The overall score means virtually nothing. It's the two game test scores that you should be concerned with if you're trying to relate 3DMark06 to real world performance.

Anyway, here's mine with a 4850 @ 700/1100

It's a very CPU-bound benchmark when you run it at the default settings.
    Last edited by Board of Command; Wed, 07-23-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Guys i cant choose:Amd x4 9950 , Amd x2 6000+ or Intel duo core e8400

which one is better for gaming?
    *€»~†ǁỐỮ|_ΓΡǁ†‼~«€* - ˜ή*»―†

E8400

Phenom 9950 runs hot like a nuclear power plant and it's not even that fast. X2 6000+ is old and not that great nowadays. E8400 is pretty awesome and I wouldn't mind having one in my system.

Has anyone tried SSD drives in a desktop environment, or is it still too expensive?

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

you could prolly buy a 32gb one for not that much, for like a boot disk, i think a 150gb raptor would cost more.
    -----------------

The OCZ Core drives are relatively cheap. The 32 GB one is under $200.

thx for mentioning that one, its only €139 here ( cheaper then a 150raptor), i might get it.
    -----------------

Check some reviews first. I've read a few that are discouraging. The performance gains with Windows are negligible for boot and shutdown times. From the couple articles I read, SSD are best for large file writes, and terrible for random read/write.

The Core SSD in particular suffers from data corruption issues related to ACHI features. Of course, you have some power savings and weight savings when used in a laptop. Like one reviewer said, "you get what you pay for". There's a reason OCZ can price their offering lower than anyone else.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

He guyz if you have 2 Gfx cards, can you connect them on one screen?
    *€»~†ǁỐỮ|_ΓΡǁ†‼~«€* - ˜ή*»―†

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachiru-Hirosaki
    He guyz if you have 2 Gfx cards, can you connect them on one screen?
    ......Pardon? You're saying can you connect two graphics card onto one monitor?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Yes, with SLI or Crossfire you can use two of the same cards to generate graphics in tandem on one monitor. An upcoming driver from Nvidia will allow multiple monitor support with SLI. I'm not sure if Crossfire supports multiple monitors or if it requires both cards to be the same or just similar.

crossfire supports multi monitors, since 8 months ago.
    -----------------