Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    You guys are assholes >_>
    Nah, I've just never priced out a budget system before. At that point you should just get a laptop.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

DS's suggestion certainly looks a whole lot better, and I'd have nothing to add to it, save perhaps the fact I prefer pairs of memory modules for the dual-channel functionality. Although tests have shown it matters far less in practice than in theory, so you'd lose or gain very little, whichever way you went.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Nah, I've just never priced out a budget system before. At that point you should just get a laptop.
    For all the little i get about this stuff you still manage to be dumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    For all the little i get about this stuff you still manage to be dumber.
    You probably get a kick out of telling your doctor, "doc, I don't get much about this medical stuff, but heart surgery for my coronary heart disease sounds dumb."

You never answered the question about the purpose of this PC, which goes a long way to deciding what parts it should have.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Blog Entries
    How does this build look?

Caixa
    Nox NX200
    Fonte
    1Life 600W 120MM
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A97 EVO R 2.0
    Processador
    AMD FX 6300 3.5GHZ Six Core
    Memória
    DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz
    Disco
    1TB 7200Rpm
    Placa Gráfica
    Asus Radeon HD7770 1GB DDR5
    Drive
    DVD+/-RW Caixa
    Nox NX200
    Fonte
    1Life 600W 120MM
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A97 EVO R 2.0
    Processador
    AMD FX 6300 3.5GHZ Six Core
    Memória
    DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz
    Disco
    1TB 7200Rpm
    Placa Gráfica
    Asus Radeon HD7770 1GB DDR5

Around 500 euros

Hey guys Im thinking about getting an update for my pc, mostly for gaming, streaming and surfing the net. Here is what I have been thinking to get:

i5 4670k
    Asrock z87 extreme4
    2x4gb g.skill ripjaws ddr3 1600 cl7
    395€.

Im not too much onto extreme OC, looking for some soft tweaking, but I leave the door open (I have and old scythe ninja 2 with 2 extra fans). Also I have an old GPU HD 4870 that I plan on upgrading on jan-feb 2014. I have been reading that AMD CPUs may be better for next generation games what do you think about that?
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

Blog Entries
    Here's my build by the way

Why take the 1333Mhz ram one? 1600 is a bit faster (can be oc to 1700 without much effort). Also is the 8 gb only 1 module? are you planning on upgrading? I read that getting 2 modules is better cause most mobos have dual channel access that grant some performance improvement even if its marginal (1-2%) unless you are using an APU wich supposedly makes a huge difference.
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    What's the default MHz that matches up with a CPU's bus speed these days anyway? Or is that not a thing anymore?

I got my 1333MHz ram in 2009 because my computer only used that amount of throughput anyway (last time I checked). Higher ram would have only been useful if I wanted to increase the bus to gain higher clocks on the CPU.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I'm about to change my late 2008 laptop for an Ativ 9+ from Samsung.
    The only fear I have is with the ethernet adapter.
    There are no precise description of what it is exactly.
    My guess is that it's some kind of external network card. From what somebody told me, there are 11 pins. I know mhd is 11 pins too, but maybe it's different. After all that detail only tells me this is not a passive adapter and only increases doubt.

Why is that important?
    Well, I need a laptop to program some automatons. Said machines use protocols like tftp, netbios and other ways of communications all included in the standard network protocols. Thing is, since these protocols are seldomly used, I always fear some smart guys at Samsung decides to slash those protocols because he can save 10s of work and 1ct every 100 dongle...
    Maybe I should try to create an account at newegg and post my question there.

But I might be lucky and have some help here

Thanks

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Why don't you ask Samsung itself? I bet they have a good office in a country as big as France. Asian companies in general are notorious for arrogance and bad customer service, but since you would be contacting people in France, it might make all the difference. Assuming they would know or get the answer from their headquarters. But I reckon they would have more luck than you contacting Koreans directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Here's my build by the way
    Guru3D (the site I mainly browse for hardware news and excellent reviews) recommends 550W PSU minimum for 7870. For 7850 it would have been the 500W minimum. It will still work, of course, but you might not be anymore within the PSU's most efficient operation area (where it's that 80+ bronze).

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    I'm about to change my late 2008 laptop for an Ativ 9+ from Samsung.
    The only fear I have is with the ethernet adapter.
    There are no precise description of what it is exactly.
    My guess is that it's some kind of external network card. From what somebody told me, there are 11 pins. I know mhd is 11 pins too, but maybe it's different. After all that detail only tells me this is not a passive adapter and only increases doubt.

Why is that important?
    Well, I need a laptop to program some automatons. Said machines use protocols like tftp, netbios and other ways of communications all included in the standard network protocols. Thing is, since these protocols are seldomly used, I always fear some smart guys at Samsung decides to slash those protocols because he can save 10s of work and 1ct every 100 dongle...
    Maybe I should try to create an account at newegg and post my question there.

But I might be lucky and have some help here

Thanks
    I've got an NP900 notebook with that sort of adapter. I'm not sure what it is, but if I can perform some sort of test that will give you an answer, let me know.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    @Kraco:
    When I wrote that, I had already contacted samsung's french hotline. The questions and hotline process was so awkward with so many inconsistencies, unability to properly understand my question and failing to come with the right SKUs that I could get nothing useful out of the answer... I did try Now I know my question is a little unreasonable since the product is so young.
    I'm just a little mad at all those reviewers that do not think a dongle adapter is worth a little note stating whether it is fully compatible or not... I could take that these are mere infomercials.

@Buff
    Well, I've had a chat with customer who's got one and tried to take pics and follow my lead for some tests. It's nice because it seems ok, but since his technical level was average, I can't be 100% sure.

The more I write about it, the less I think it's a good choice in the end.
    I'll try my luck and go to the Samsung Store we've got in Paris. Lucky as I am, they won't have their flagship yet... We're in a country were smartphones for demo at stores do not even have a working wifi connexion available....

Thanks guys!

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I ordered a GTX 780ti yesterday. Been wanting this particular one and managed to catch it in stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487003

BF4 ultra at 2560x1440 will be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    I ordered a GTX 780ti yesterday. Been wanting this particular one and managed to catch it in stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487003

Ah, nice. I have to run BF4 on medium without ambient occlusion(?), but with high texture quality and filtering at 1280x1024 (my default resolution, currently sporting a HD5870). I was thinking about getting a Geforce 670 with the Asus DirectCUII cooler for quietness, but was also fearing that my CPU (i5 760) would bottleneck it all anyway, so I'm saying to myself that I'll make do with my rig for one more year before giving it a more complete upgrade.

Wow, did you save up for it or did you find some extra money in the budget? That's a pricey card. I've got the GTX 770 4GB and BF4 plays great with high settings. Bit of regret since I got it 3.5 months before the price drop, so I didn't qualify for the EVGA trade-up program.

Question: does anyone know if having a second monitor connected while playing fullscreen on your main monitor causes framerate drop and weakened gpu performance? That used to be the case with older cards, but I don't know if it still applies to the newer gen cards.

Nah I just happen to have a lot of disposable income. The second monitor shouldn't cause any difference. I've had two for the past 3 years with no issue.

Nah I just happen to have a lot of disposable income. The second monitor shouldn't cause any difference. I've had two for the past 3 years with no issue.
    Well it's not a critical issue, but previously it did reduce performance (framerate) of your GPU. Considering we buy nice powerful cards for the best quality possible, it would be silly to lose some of that simply because you have two monitors connected when you only play games on one screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Well it's not a critical issue, but previously it did reduce performance (framerate) of your GPU. Considering we buy nice powerful cards for the best quality possible, it would be silly to lose some of that simply because you have two monitors connected when you only play games on one screen.
    What framerates are you getting anyway? If it's higher than your monitor refresh rate then it doesn't matter.

The power required to simply display a desktop on a second monitor isnt enough to cause a drop in fps.