Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

July 22nd is when Intel are dropping their C2D CPU prices and introducing a few new ones.

Great, then I just need to wait one more week, then QX6700 might be in range.

Any word on why DDR2 RAM prices are so low right now (2GB PC6400 is around $130)? Is there a DDR3 coming out, or is there a glut of memory in the market? I'm a little out of the loop on technology.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

There is DDR3 memory out already but they can't overclock as well as DDR2 right now. So they are basically the same performance wise if you can manage to tighten your timings on your ram except DDR3 is more expensive. Best bet is to go with DDR2 as they are cheaper and better performance wise.

Sweeet, QX6700 for $530!! Thanks for the chart and explanation. Gonna go nuts at newegg in a week, then play Stalker:SoC at highest settings.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Don't get QX6700. Not worth the money when Q6600 is half the price...

Yea I almost shit myself when I saw the Q6600's price.

I think Im going to wait till next summer to get a quad-core thought. I like my C2D just fine atm.

the q6600 and e6850 have a totally awesome price, i might just yet build a new pc soon.
    -----------------

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    i'm an amd guy, so all of the c2d doesn't really make me too excited. relating to the price drops though, i got my x2 4800+ for 129.99 and it was close to $600 when it came out march / 2006. and i cant plug zipzoomfly.com enough, newegg does have better selection in some areas, but when most things i find on newegg are cheaper on zipzoomfly w\ free shipping.

Lazie : i think i may end up buying that x1950 xt sapphire card you suggested i will decide here in the next couple of weeks and hopefully it will make a huge difference when i'm playing cs:source

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    Don't get QX6700. Not worth the money when Q6600 is half the price...
    Everyone else where I work has QX6700s, so I have to keep up with the Yamadas, as they say. I usually don't play that game, but we'll see when it's time to click "submit order".

If noone else at your work knows how to, you can OC your 6600 and make better than their 6700's.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage
    If noone else at your work knows how to, you can OC your 6600 and make better than their 6700's.
    Actually after comparing price to performance like BoC said, I probably will get the Q6600 and maybe OC it.

I was thinking of the Cool-it peltier system which one of the guys has:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835227001

but it probably won't fit in my case with the 8800 I plan to get, and I'm not looking to get a new case.

That's overkill unless you're going for insane overclocks, in which case you should be building your own cooling system like the real "hardcore enthusiasts" out there. Good air cooling will do just fine.

Nah, I'm strictly softcore. I know too many people with super duper hardware specs and zero skillz. I just want to play games at 1680x1050, full AA, HDR, etc that will support 1000 units in combat. I can't go frankenstein on my PC because it's hard to get parts here, and shipping from the states takes too long for replacement parts.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    ok ok... this guy i work with today was telling me that he would give me a mobo that he had bought for the one computer he uses there in the office (c2d) so... being gifted a free motherboard if it tests and works i may end up making an intel box. i'm wondering what kind it is because the one he is currently using is a fata1ity board blah $150 or so so maybe it will be a decent board.

well, I've ordered my PC today.

1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (S775, 3,00GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Boxed)
    1 x Asus P5W64 WS Professional, 975X (ATX, PCI-e, Sound, LAN, SATA II, RAID, 1394a)
    2 x Western Digital 500GB WD5000AAKS (7200rpm, SATA II, 16MB)
    1 x Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 (ATX/BTX, Geen PSU, Zilver)
    1 x Corsair CMPSU-620HXEU, 620W (ATX12V v2.2)
    1 x Asus GeForce 8800 GTX, 768MB GDDR3, 2x DVI, TV-out, PCIe (EN8800GTX/HTDP)
    1 x Zalman CNPS9700 NT (Socket 775/939/940/AM2)
    1 x Kingston 4GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 CL5 DIMM

total of about 1800 Euro,- and my gutt tells me I'm forgetting something important, so someone please point it out ^^ ( Not the soundcard ;D)

And excuse the Dutch in one of the items.

Sweet, I ordered mine today too (from Newegg and Mwave):

Intel Q6600
    Asus P5B
    EVGA 8800GTX
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB CAS4
    WD Raptor 150GB
    OCX Game X-Stream 700W PSU
    Asus 18X DVDRW

About $1450US.

Using an existing Ultra Grid case and WD Raptor 74GB and WD1200JB HDDs for storage.

Hmm also a nice system, but I doubt the use of a quadcore. Most applications don't use the extra two cores at all. But if you're into 3d modeling, definately a good choice.

Zalman CNPS9700 is a HUGE rip off. For the same price you can get a Thermalright Ultra-120 plus a nice fan.

Reviews say otherwise. I always do my homework.

why one stick of ram? you don't like dual channel?
    and what you are missing is an AUDIO card, and no onboard audio is just sucky and cheap, if you can spend 1800 on the other parts, the extra 100-200 euro wont be that much.
    Last edited by darkshadow; Mon, 07-23-2007 at 11:45 AM.
    -----------------