Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I thought it was always necessary to use either thermal paste or thermal strip when attaching a heat sink.

Well, the thermal transfer material layer should be as thin as possible yet still perfect so it makes sense, at least on paper, to have totally smooth and level surfaces to minimize the thickness needed.

The purpose of thermal paste is to fill the microscopic gaps between the two metal parts and nothing else. It has lower thermal conductivity than metal-to-metal contact, but many times better than metal-to-air-to-metal (i.e. air gaps). That's why you want as little thermal paste as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    I thought it was always necessary to use either thermal paste or thermal strip when attaching a heat sink.
    In a perfect world, you wouldn't need thermal paste. Try running your CPU without any thermal paste. The result won't be nearly as bad as you might expect.

Really you only need to lap if the surface is very uneven (relatively speaking) like on some Thermaltake heatsinks. Otherwise the thermal paste will fill in any small gaps created by imperfectly flat surfaces.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Generally it is a good idea to use thermal paste thou. When I was a tech and the custom people came in saying the the board kept shutting down, it was usually because the CPU was overheating, mostly from lack of thermal paste to help the heat transfer to the heatsink.

For all you awesome people, it's just Phoenix. The numbers are just the amount of times people misspell it.

That's probably due to crappy heatsinks, not thermal paste. Instances where there's a "lack of thermal paste" are extremely rare.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    why does the amd x2 6400+ not come w\ a heat sink?

because it runs around 70-75 celcius w\ stock heat sink + arctic silver!!! i felt a hot draft last night emitting from under my desk and my poor system had a fever going to try to find a good cooler today.

Quote Originally Posted by bbaucom
    why does the amd x2 6400+ not come w\ a heat sink?
    What are you talking about? It does.

no... it comes retail box like my 4800 did but there is just the processor and warranty info, no heat sink. Anyhow... part of my problem is having my computer in my desk and suffucating it but even after pulling it out last night it was running @ 50-55

I have a thermaltake cooler but i couldn't snap it on w\ the mobo in the case and i just used it on another system i built this weekend so i will have to find another cooler or maybe just get better air flow in my case.

A brand new retail version? Not second hand? Because all retail processors come with heatsinks.

6400+ black edition from newegg... its got the retail box but no heatsink.

* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103191 *

I re-enabled cool n quiet which brought temps down to 26-32 range, but i have a feeling that temps will jump back up when i get 2 hours into a team fortress 2 session.

Hmm...interesting. That's the first retail box processor I've seen that doesn't come with a heatsink.

boc i have a question thats been bothering me for awhile.
    How does that 3870x2 work? i mean its a dual gpu card but linked via crossfire, does that mean you still need to enable crossfire in CCC to actually use the second gpu? or are they always fully blasting at x2?

I need to know this since crossfire is incompatible with dual screen setups.
    -----------------

When I installed the driver, Crossfire was enabled by default in CCC. I'm not sure if disabling it will really disable one GPU.

However...the card does have 2 DVI outputs, so I'd imagine dual monitor works even with Crossfire enabled. I'll try to test it for you next week.

Heh, it finnally happened. My 500 GB of harddrive power went after 4 years. For a Custom, it had a good run. I've decided instead of replacing the drives, I'm gonna run from my laptop for a while and build a brand new system, since its overdue. Heres what I'm planning so far:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor
    ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
    GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit, PCI Express x16
    Patriot Extreme Performance Ram 2GB DDR2 800 (2 Sticks)
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
    ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe

As for the Case:
    Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower
    Just to make sure it doesnt overheat.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

For all you awesome people, it's just Phoenix. The numbers are just the amount of times people misspell it.

im not a fan of amd cpu systems, or nvidia systems for that matter, but if you are going for a 8600, got for the GTS, not the GT, since it sucks >_>
    -----------------

DS, I checked out the 3870 X2 today and found that CCC doesn't have the Crossfire tab. I guess I remembered wrong... Crossfire is always enabled. I didn't get a chance to actually test dual monitors, but I would assume it works.

thats pretty damn awesome news, that means i can have dual monitors with crossfire perfomance, wicked.

also, my mobo supposedly supports ati physics, having a third pci-e slot and all ( rd600 chipset).
    does ati still support this? would it mean that if i got the 3870x2, i could stick my x1950pro in the third slot to handle physics?
    Last edited by darkshadow; Tue, 12-11-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    -----------------

phoenix, That sounds good...

I just got a 6400+ a couple of weeks ago, did not realize that it is either 125 or 135 watts compared to my 65 watt X2 4800+ it replaced... It was running a little over 70 celcius before i pulled up mobo utility to check how hot it was.

My next upgrade aside from a good heatsink is going to be a better motherbaord... i'm running on a decent gigabyte -s2 series board w\ 4gb (4 x 1gb) Xtreme Patriot -800, a X1950 XT, and I really need to clean up my hard drives ( 2x 250, 1x 200) and have it in a Gigabyte Poseidon full case w\ ePower 520 watt psu.

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    thats pretty damn awesome news, that means i can have dual monitors with crossfire perfomance, wicked.

also, my mobo supposedly supports ati physics, having a third pci-e slot and all ( rd600 chipset).
    does ati still support this? would it mean that if i got the 3870x2, i could stick my x1950pro in the third slot to handle physics?
    Sorry for the late response.

I have no idea.