Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    lol.

^ That's all I can say right now.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

You should have seen it coming, though, with an interior design like that. That perforated metal plate completely and nonoptionally blocking that part of a case was a sure sign of doom. I'm never going to buy a case like that. In my current one a HD slot was rendered useless by the video card extending so close to it but at least that was it. Nothing prevented me from installing the card (and I could throw the other HD to a 3.5" floppy drive slot since who would have such a thing anymore anyway).

My VGA card blocks a HDD slot too, but I really don't need that when I have another 5.

The only real issue I have with making sure hardware fits in the case is with CPU heatsinks. I can't ever be sure enough that the case isn't pushing down on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    My VGA card blocks a HDD slot too, but I really don't need that when I have another 5.
    My case is actually a mini tower, I believe, but it does have a few of HD slots. I just didn't want to stack the HDs right next to each other. They heat up enough as it is. I wanted to leave air between them, so you could say the video card removed two of the three HD slots in practice.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    not "custom" but... I saw this Dell XPS 710 "AS IS" on ebay a couple weeks ago and I won it for $357 + 50 for shipping. It was supposed to have 4gb ram but it came w\ none... so i'm waiting on a partial refund or something from the seller for that. But, anyhow...

It works perfectly fine. It's got a QX6700, the H2C ceramic + liquid cooling, and 768mb 8800GTX's. I was just trying to get an idea of value... they have 2 of these in the dell outlet. one is new for $1659 w\ 1 8600GTS video card, and the other is $1939 scratch+dent w\ a 500g hd, 4gb, and the same video card + cpu setup.

The Bios has automatic overclock settings to set the cpu either @ stock 2.66, 2.93, or 3.2ghz. I put a 150gb raptor x in it and I'm gonna load an OS later tonight if I have time and see how she runs!

i9 6-core cpu's "leaked" on ebay.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/int...mere,9200.html

Somebody posted a link in the comments to this story : somebody has had one already and overclocked it past 6ghz w\ liquid nitrogen.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...light=gulftown

So on boxing day futureshop is having 200$ off this computer for 599

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0134700&catid=

do you guys think its a good deal

ty psj for this sig

bumping the thread for 2010!

I was on newegg and they have the Antec 900 on the main page for $59.99 after rebate.. so I clicked it, and they also have a combo deal w\ a dvdrw too.

So, it's $79.99 for the case, $19.99 for the dvd burner, $22 instant discount for the combo, and $20 mail in rebate for the case.

Shipping is free too. I went ahead and bought one even though I for sure don't "need" it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.399036

I decided to switch from my cosmos to the 900. I'll post pictures later in the weekend. I'm also going to use my AIO H2o cooler. I've been using the stock AM3 cooler on my athlon II 620 and it gets pretty loud when the fan starts revving up.
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Fri, 05-28-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Nice looking case. A little too flashy for my tastes though. I'd like something that stood out less as a computer case.

So my mainboard is dead, won't boot. I can either get a new motherboard and continue using my Q6600 and DDR2-800 RAM, or I can get a new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo.

Does this seem like a decent build?
    Intel i-7 920 2.66GHz CPU
    Intel X58 LGA 1366 Motherboard
    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 RAM

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

That's more then decent.
    -----------------

If I only browse the internet and type up Office documents, it's probably a bit of overkill right?

I guess it's better than not having the power in case some game comes out that I'd rather play on the PC than on X360. I'm a little wary of Intel motherboards, but Asus kind of let me down (last motherboard failed) and their boards seem a little pricey.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    If I only browse the internet and type up Office documents, it's probably a bit of overkill right?
    i7? DDR3?

Of course, lol.

You could even opt for a netbook if you feel like being cheap or portable

Well I have a laptop that I'm on now but I definitely prefer using a desktop for speed and capacity. I also play games when something worthwhile comes out, and do a little audio and video encoding. I've always been of the mind to overdo it rather than under-do it when it comes to power and I like to future proof so I won't have to upgrade again for 2-3 years.

The 3 parts I listed come out to $629 on Newegg.com and that's all that's keeping me from buying them since that's not really in my budget. The alternative is to buy a new motherboard for $120 and continue using the Q6600.

It's not that intel's mobo seems a little pricey, ALL X58 mobo's are pricey, since it's a crazy high end chipset.

I think that if you want decent, yet futureproof, get a P55 mobo and an i5 750.
    -----------------

Would you recommend the i5 750 over the i5 650? The 650 is 32nm vs 45nm with the 750 and the power consumption is lower on the 650. The 750 is quad core though.

I wouldn't anymore get anything but a quad core for a desktop if you intend to ever do more than word processing and web browsing. But maybe that's just me.

When you consider i5 750 it's good to keep in mind for some weird reason 750 specifically does not have Intel's famed hyper-threading. Most of the other i# processors sport it. But if you never paid attention to that technology, then the surprise omission shouldn't bother you.

Yeah I noticed the absence of hyperthreading on the i5 750 but assumed it was implemented in another form. If that's not the case, then what's with the lack of ht support in the i5 750?

I'm also a quad-core only kind of user, but I think it's unnecessary for 95% of what I do. I might revert to dual cores if the rest of the feature set makes up for the lack of extra cores.

There is no hyperthreading, because it has 4 physical cores. The whole quad + HT is reserved for the high end; the i7's and higher.

The 650 is a dual core with HT, so even though you wind up with 4 logical cores, it won't have the dedicated performance of the 750.

This is also why the die is bigger and why the 750 uses more wattage.
    -----------------

Here's a pic of a bare HD 5870.

Where would the "voltage regulators" be (that I have to attached heatsink/fins to?)

I have a fair idea, but would rather get an educated opinion. My searches have been all but definitive.