Thread: Customized computer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    scct has SM3, Tomb Raider legend REQUIRES sm3 just to enable the next gen mode, basically every game that has hdr ( thats basically every game from now on) is on SM3, or the devs must have been extra nice and include a sm2 path ( which is highly unlikely ), oblivion requires sm3 for hdr also

and no, if your videocard doesnt support hardware decoding of h264 it doesnt do SQUAT when watching it, it just displays the images rendered out by the cpu, and no its pretty stupid to ask if the 6600gt is future proof, since its now of the previous generation, the 7600gt is a lot faster then the 6600gt, has sm3, has h264 decoding, and is of the latest generation, i call that future proof, even at its price+ the 7600gt has an hdtv out, the 6600gt doesnt have that.
    saying something like "even counterstrike doesnt support sm3" is pretty dumb since css is pretty old already, + valve had a deal with ati, which led to the development of an sm2 path not sm3 ( sm2 and 3 are VERY different from each other )

and btw how do you know if i dont have a 40 inch lcd that i use as monitor ? :P

scct has SM3, Tomb Raider legend REQUIRES sm3 just to enable the next gen mode, basically every game that has hdr ( thats basically every game from now on) is on SM3
    Uh, no. There are genres out there other than 1st person or 3rd person, and those games certainly will not support HDR.
    if your videocard doesnt support hardware decoding of h264 it doesnt do SQUAT when watching it, it just displays the images rendered out by the cpu
    So everyone that has an ATI card right now is pretty much screwed when it comes to watching movies?
    saying something like "even counterstrike doesnt support sm3" is pretty dumb since css is pretty old already
    Pretty dumb? My whole point is that CSS has been out for a long time, and it STILL doesn't support SM3.0

im not bashing you or anything :P but yeah it is still pretty dumb, cause valve is not gonna make a sm3 path, and seeing how nvidia are lazy bastards too, dont expect a patch from them, css will remain sm3-less for ever, and for hdr supporting games:
    adventure - TRL
    action adventure - Lost Planet
    rpg ( bioware type rpg, like mass effect)
    fps - PDZ
    rts - WiC
    racing - PGR3

the only stuff left are like.... puzzle games o_O or games that have been ported from xbox or ps2 ( condemned is the only x360 game that made it to pc which supports sm2, nfs most wanted doesnt count, seeing how it was multi platform )
    world in conflict might be the first rts with hdr, that or cnc3
    the games in the above list are all next gen games, and there are much more that support sm3, i cant see how future games wont support it, or even REQUIRE it, like TRL

i mean would you rather play in ps2/xbox style gfx or x360 styled gfx ( this is the case with TRL)

edit:
    oh and no, the x1000 series of ati support hardware decoding, its just the x100 series that dont, so if you have anything lower then x1000 then yes you are screwed, same if you have anything lower then 6000 series ( i consider lower then 7000 series still screwed, seeing how lower doesnt have a hdtv output )
    Last edited by darkshadow; Sun, 04-23-2006 at 12:51 AM.

well I for one am not about to install counterstrike or any of the other games you mentioned on my computer. I just want a card that is competent and will support avi files etc.

this is my first attempt at a sig... wait, actually it's my first attempt at using photoshop completely....

Uh...if you put it that way, a $500 machine will be enough.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    Quote Originally Posted by naruto=pwnage
    well I for one am not about to install counterstrike or any of the other games you mentioned on my computer. I just want a card that is competent and will support avi files etc.
    And you are building why? there is no point in building if your going for basic. Buy one from a local electronics store, it will be easier on you and us
    image fail!

I wonder what darkshadow has to say about this now. I mean...wow.

I just want a card that is competent and will support avi files etc.
    I give up on the X850XT

i really dont have anything else to add, but since 7600gt accellerates h264, then yeah give up on the x800gto