Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Manga: Vinland Saga

Yea, it's been boring as fuck. I wanted to read about vikings fucking shit up in ruthless wars and battles, not some teenage boy farming with his new best friend.

I feel the same way animus.

With the talk of thieves and armies there should be something bound to happen within the next couple of chapters (hope so anyway).

Chapter 66 online viewing

We still have Thoreau writing about farming. Screw all this Walden Pond crap and get back to some head smashing and dismemberment.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell is going on with him... maybe these two thief kids will get some action going.

Chapter 67

Chapter 67 online viewing

No Thorfinn but at least someone got hit...

Yeah, no story progression but I thought it was a good chapter. I wonder how the whole Arneis angle will play out.

New Chapter 68 is out:

http://mangastream.com/read/vinland_saga/54508221/1

I'm seriously getting tired of this pacing.

Each time I think an event is going to set something in motion... nothing happens the next chapter.

I'm betting watching his friend get beat down by the servants triggers his memory... but if recent history has taught me anything... nothing will come of the wheat destruction.

Here's a download link:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VKVGX61O

I myself enjoyed the chapter, since we finally got Thorfinn talking, particularly of his past. But someone messed with his wheats, the sleeping giant is about to awaken I bet.

But yeah, the pace needs to pick up. I say within 3 chapters something cool will happen.

While I agree with the complaints made about the pacing, I AM liking the new characters.

Sure, while it's no replacement for Askeladd, I am finding the interactions with members of Ketil's family, Snake and his mercenaries, and Einar to be pretty entertaining.

KIMOCHI~II

I hadn't read Vinland Saga for ages and now when I got back, it has turned into Vinland Saga - The Tales of Agriculture.

While it's been quite hard to predict where this manga is going, I can't help but wonder how we are ever getting back to action. The recent chapters are all about Thorfinn reforming - but reforming into what? They haven't exactly made the path of a warrior an overly glorious one of late. So, will he nevertheless become one again? How would he do it so that it won't render this whole farm episode meaningless? Obviously it can't be by going to kick some freemen's ass. Not that he'd care enough to do that anyway, unless it was to save his buddy. But even so a slave fighting against freemen wouldn't be any salvation.

Well, whatever the case, I hope this stuff ends soon. Surely we have already learned everything there is to learn about medieval farming...

It seems like this Manga should have ended a few chapters ago or something. Where do they go from here?

Nah, it couldn't have ended. If this is Thorfinn's story, then it means it's now only beginning. He never did anything for himself during all of these chapters, except learning how to fight.

Seeing how the name of the story is Vinland saga, you'd expect the dude eventually sails west. And we all know how that ended up for the Vikings, so perhaps that's going to be the end of this story.

Makes sense. All this farming and development of new land is going to be the foundation for Thorfinn when he ends up living a peaceful life, although I think most of the people reading this are more interested in war and conflict.

The first part ended with text saying that it was the end of the prologue, so Thorfinn appearing as a slave is actually the start of the story.

Imagine if Vinland Saga started out from that point... it'd suffer from lack of popularity and get axed before anything interesting happened :P

So you're saying the original story is just going to be about agriculture and this whole war + conflict thing is just some marketing scheme to get us interested?

No, I definitely think Thorfinn is going to be fighting again soon, but without revenge as a sole motivator. But I think that if this story runs to its conclusion and Thorfinn survives, he'll want a peaceful life where these skills that he's currently learning will help him.

I'm thinking it's leading up to Thorfinn finding either a girl he truly loves or maybe a very good friend he truly cares about. He'll decide to leave the warrior life behind him and just live it simple like his old man. Then, something will happen to that person he cares about. Then the action will commence again.

Maybe its just slow build-up.

69 is out:
    http://mangastream.com/read/vinland_saga/92780160/1

Really enjoyed the chapter, I laughed my ass off at one point too.

I liked this one, too. It looks like they might get in trouble for this and then they'll have to escape. This whole farming thing will probably be over after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam98034 View Post
    This whole farming thing will probably be over after that.
    I pray you are right. Thorfinn has got too rusty anyway, to allow a farmhand to sneak behind him and strike.