Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manga: Vinland Saga

Manga: Vinland Saga

I just started reading this, and I find it very good so far. The characters are great, and the action is good. It's from the mangaka of Planetes, so some of you might be interested. I wonder if any of you has given this a try.

Series is being done by manga-screeners, hopefully some of you will check it out.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1568
    http://www.mangascreener.com/project.php?id=90

Easiest way is probably downloading them from #lurk

Bumping this thread to see if anyone here gave it a chance. MS recently released five new chapters, and they were darn good.

I'm really liking this manga, the art is very clear, and the character designs are pretty good... especially the facial expressions.

I've been liking it, but the chapters are released slow enough that I've started to lose where the series started from. The flashback is great, but I've somewhat lost the connection with the present where the manga started.

Good Viking badass action, especially from his father.

Oh. Planet ES? Ok.. I'll go download it now.

Holy Cow. It's damn good. Why no one noticed this series before?
    Last edited by Stoopider; Wed, 11-08-2006 at 08:46 PM.
    MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopider
    Holy Cow. It's damn good. Why no one noticed this series before?
    No one noticed it before because no one listens to me.

When you first posted it I needed to hear only two things to read it, Vikings and that there were more than 5 chapters released. Nothing major really happened until MS released this new batch.

Yes this is a nice manga I been following with it since Bud first posted about it really liking the Viking action and art and yeah it was slow releases but that five chapter release was great!
    Last edited by Zati; Fri, 11-17-2006 at 05:46 AM.

I decided to take a look at this series and just finished reading volume 2. It seems like most people aren't reading this one, so I'll also echo Bud and Stoopider and strongly recommend it. I ended up reading all 16 released chapters in one sitting - the manga is that good, it'll draw you in. Berserk fans will definitely like this series, just to give it a point of reference.

It's a bit of a shame that the releases will come slowly. A Question: When MangaScreeners writes that the author switched to the monthly seinen magazine, does that mean one chapter per month and therefore about 8 months per volume release? How much material (approximately) is inserted into a monthly magazine?

-Story stuff- :

I'm really liking Askeladd's "strong guy who jokes around" personality even though it's a formula that's been used many times. The guy's pretty evil, but the charm he has helps the reader root for his group.

Thors has also made an impression on me. He really seems to have the wisdom of an old man coupled with the strength of a top warrior. Thorfinn's inability to understand what his father was all about is what will drive the story. But before he reaches that point, we get to see him kicking ass and decapitating heads =)

Eagerly looking forward to chapter 17 and beyond...

Yeah, I like Askeladd as well. Funny guy, good fighter. This manga reminds me abit of "13th Warrior" and "Eric the Viking". About crazy vikings going off on their ship to the unknown seas for happy plunder.
    MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii

New chapter is finally out, 17:
    http://64.62.145.165:6969/torrents/V...5D.zip.torrent

It's an awesome chapter, so check it out as soon as you can Thorfinn is great as always.

Awesome. If only it's faster! I can't wait for me! Got me blood boiling!
    MmmMmm. Ooiiishiii

Indeed, this is really shaping up to be a great manga with awesome characters... But MS really does too many projects, which is nice, but this manga is one of their slower released series.

This manga is absolutely astonishing. Unique in setting, good action, story, characters. I'm a fan.

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Trolling around, I've noticed this for some time, but the slow release thing has put me off a bit.What I am doing is DLing all the chapters and saving them for when the series is finished, if its one of those series that ends reasonably quickly, or until a big enough batch is out. It's named and themed after one of my favorite records...hehe, of course I'm gonna read this.

Mmm finally a new chapter.

Volume 3 Chapter 18

I just love this art, it's so unique and detailed imo. This series doesn't get enough attention as it should, it is a fairly new series (4 volumes in raws) though. Can't wait for more.
    Last edited by animus; Sat, 03-17-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Yeah, this was another great chapter. I like how Thorkell kept throwing logs at the ships down bellow. The King looks like he'll be a kickass character, I bet the Askeladd group will go against him at some point in time, and that'll be a kickass arc. I bet the Thorkell and Thorfinn will be good, now the wait for chapter 19.

I don't have my early chapters with me, can anyone check where does this chapter take place in relation with the first arc?

I just love how the mangaka makes the faces of some of these character look so eccentric, examples Askeladd and Thorkell. I'm not sure, but I believe it's after they land back home, he meets that hawt viking slave chick and have their duel.

Hehehe, I was mainly wondering because of that Viking slave chick, I was hoping to see her again soon.

Yar, would be nice if we saw her again. Hopefully she won't just be some random character just for the first arc, and develops into a real character. Possibilities of romance are there, but judging by Thorfinn's character maybe not. He might soften up, though I wouldn't mind if he stayed with his same cold, one tracked mind personality as this manga is just so superb.

I'm just jumping in to say this shit is awesome, now to put it in the queue.

There isn't anything to really dislike with this series, I just need more chapters out.

Thorfinn is a good character, and I see Askeladd sacrificing himself for him in the end and not be done in by a duel.