Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Help me!" Thread

I'm not sure whether this thread was the appropriate way to ask questions, forgive me if I’m wrong, but if I wanted to start a poem thread were members can start posting poems, haiku, e.t.c which off-topic section will it be consider in the category?
    "The End Justify The Means"

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    A quick search finds this old thread: http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=2243

It's been resurrected before, but apparently never stuck around. If you want to share some of your poetry with us, you could do it in there.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    A quick search finds this old thread: http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=2243

It's been resurrected before, but apparently never stuck around. If you want to share some of your poetry with us, you could do it in there.
    I didn't expect a reply so quick thanks Xan
    "The End Justify The Means"

I'm trying to make a disortion boost for guitar from this schematic:
    http://experimentalistsanonymous.com...on%20Boost.pdf
    but i have no idea where those +9V goes. Anyone got any idea?
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Quote Originally Posted by Xelbair
    I'm trying to make a disortion boost for guitar from this schematic:
    http://experimentalistsanonymous.com...on%20Boost.pdf
    but i have no idea where those +9V goes. Anyone got any idea?
    How do you mean? The 9+v attaches to the + terminal of a 9 volt DC power source
    (I'll bet a 9v battery) and the ground should attach to the negative terminal of the battery. Seems like a pretty simple circuit though it's non-linear because of the diodes so you can't directly apply Thevenin or Norton equations to it.

thanks - I'll try this combination. I'm much better at relativistic physics and newton's mechanics than at electric circuits.
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Nevermind.
    Last edited by LaZie; Wed, 08-05-2009 at 02:23 PM.

I need help identifying a song, I was at a club friday/saturday and I really want to know what song it was.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD17oIStLIE
    -----------------

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Ok, I need to find the tablature for the song "Great Ocean Road" by The Gathering. I can't find a song book for it, and the only thing I can find is the following:

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?947628

But the chords sound horribly wrong to me. Any help on this would be great appreciated.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm looking for a new phone, but I haven't really been keeping up with the market, so I thought it'd be easier to ask for recommendations and/or first hand experience.

One main problem I've been having with my current phone is that I can't hear it ring when I'm listening to my ipod. Vibrate isn't very effective at alerting me, and my phone has jack all music functions (eg playlist and organisaion), as well as all of 10MB of unexpandable memory. It has enough to store my custom ringtone and one more song.

So in my new phone, I'm looking for something that has a well-developed music playback system with things like playlist, artist, album, random shuffle capabilities etc. Probably something that has music as its selling point. Something that is more like an ipod + phone rather than phone that can read .mp3 files would be great.

I'd also like something with enough memory to hold my songs, whether it be expandable memory or fixed. I suppose 4GB would be a good minimum, but the bigger the better. Figuring out which songs to purge to make room is always a pain.

Other than that, I don't care much for other features. I can't care less about the camera or social networking function. I particularly hated my friend's phone that had facebook/skype/MSN/Y! all in its messed up menu.

I'd like it to cost no more than ~$400AUD ($370USD), so not something terribly expensive. I don't fancy leaving a $1000 iphone on the bus or falling into a pool with it. (None of that has actually happened, but I have all but defaced my phone when it slipped out of a shallow jeans pocket as I stopped abruptly after springing on concrete.)

If you have any first hand experience on a phone that fits the music and price requirements that you like, or know of one, I'd love to hear about it.

edit: It should have a 3.5mm headphone jack for my current headphones, or a model that comes with in-ear headphones (with or without mic is fine). Once you try sound isolation & deep base, you can't go back.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 12-03-2009 at 06:11 AM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Since you are on a budget, I can only recommend something from the xpress music series from nokia, or the nokia n97 mini

My N97 failed to replaced my creative zen vision: m at first, but then I got this third party music player called PowerMp3, and my zen hasn't been in use for months , I needed an add to playque function, which the standard player doesn't have.
    -----------------

I've used my friend's N97 for a while - it was a great experience, it was easy to write sms, talk and play some games. music playback was great too, but from what i heard from him(he is a nokia-maniac) N97 mini is not as comfortable as N97.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    I am looking to buy a new laptop before the New Year. I am not sure what kind is out there. Hell, it's been so long since I bought my old lappy I don't even remember what I'm supposed to be looking for in a computer...

I need it to be able to handle alot of programs at once. Firefox with butt loads of tabs open while playing music, with Photoshop open, and downloading torrents at the same time.

I need it to be able to handle live streams. I like to watch sports, and it sucks that I have to go to a bar to get HD, when I could be getting it on my computer.

I need it to be able to play mkvs (or whatever the fuck), maybe even Blu-Rays.

It would be good to have the ability to play a few games on it too. I'm not looking to play the latest games, just something like Age of Empires, a basic MMORPG. I don't need crystal clear graphics, I just want to be able to run the game smoothly.

Help???

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

I doubt I'm the best source of help regarding the matter, but there's some details that I'd (and perhaps other more useful helpers) would like to know:

- Your price range
    - Hard disk size (will you store lots of vids etc)
    - You mention HD video. Are you looking at a Full HD (1900x1080) screen? Budget and portability would factor into this.
    -Blu-Ray vid would require a Blu-ray player.
    -Other peripherals you might want: wireless n or b/g, card readers, mic/webcam, media keyboard, bluetooth.

-----

HD/mkv/BD ability would imply an above-average processor, not your 1.66GHz budget ones. Same with the screen. You'd be looking at something 17" or bigger I suppose.

I suppose your biggest issue is budget. We'll need a range to work with.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    true, Bill. I was very vague...

My price range is, all told 1.5K (including a good carry case and probably a virus protection).

I have an external HD that fits about 220GB on it, and I figure I can always burn DVDs too. But I really have no idea how large the files I'd be downloading would be.(I've seen single episodes almost 2 GBs big!) I would store videos of the anime I'm watching, of course... I figure it would be cheaper to buy another external further down the road.

I would like a Blu-Ray Drive, I think.

Basically, though, I just want to get an idea about what brands out there are good, which ones to avoid, stuff like that. If there are any specific features that have come out in the past 4-5 years that I should look at. Thanks for the help

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    true, Bill. I was very vague...

My price range is, all told 1.5K (including a good carry case and probably a virus protection).
    You're looking at a mid-range laptop then, from my price-lookup. Midrange is subjective term though, I should add.

I have an external HD that fits about 220GB on it, and I figure I can always burn DVDs too. But I really have no idea how large the files I'd be downloading would be.(I've seen single episodes almost 2 GBs big!) I would store videos of the anime I'm watching, of course... I figure it would be cheaper to buy another external further down the road.
    Most laptops in that price range have a decent sized disk at worst. I'd expect 128GB to be the minimum for that price tag. If you're given the option of lower HDD space for a better CPU or vice versa, I'd take the CPU. Space can be made (or bought later), processing power will haunt you for the life of the comp.
    I would like a Blu-Ray Drive, I think.
    At that price, I think a bluray drive would be really hard to find. It's considered a luxury item, generally reserved for full-on laptops with 19" screens or something, tons of processing power etc. (not that it necessitates those things to use bluray, but that's the trend.) Maybe you could customise it?

Basically, though, I just want to get an idea about what brands out there are good, which ones to avoid, stuff like that. If there are any specific features that have come out in the past 4-5 years that I should look at. Thanks for the help
    I'm no good with brands. All I remember is some article (I think it was a Yahoo! tech one), and according their info, Asus and Toshiba laptops had the lowest hardware problems (disregarding warranty status at time of notification). All I can say is to read some reviews about this.

Features....well things like webcams and mic may be convenient, depending on how often you use them.

More useful would be wireless N if you've got a home setup with a w/less n router for higher speeds. If you've got one (wireless router with n or draft-n specs, I'm sure you already know about w/less n stuff.)

The only other thing worth mentioning that comes to mind is bluetooth connectivity. If you like using a wireless mouse with your laptops, then this may be something to consider. Advantage over traditional w/less USB mouse is that it frees up a USB port. In some cases, these ports may not be very numerous. Your external HDD would use up one already, for example.

Have you ever considered a mac?

According to my observations something that costs 1500 dollars in the USA, costs 1500 euros over here (despite the big difference in the values of the currencies) and 1500 euros would buy a nice laptop over here already, considering most advertised laptops (excluding netbooks) range from 500 to 900 euros. It shouldn't be impossible at all to get at least 320GB HD (which is really starting to be the minimum Bill should have been referring to), a decent CPU, a decent video card, and a blu-ray drive.

Although I'm sure you'd need to get one of the cheaply produced bulk brands/models that could break pretty easily if you even once drop the carrying case. Or even if you didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    According to my observations something that costs 1500 dollars in the USA, costs 1500 euros over here (despite the big difference in the values of the currencies) and 1500 euros would buy a nice laptop over here already, considering most advertised laptops (excluding netbooks) range from 500 to 900 euros. It shouldn't be impossible at all to get at least 320GB HD (which is really starting to be the minimum Bill should have been referring to), a decent CPU, a decent video card, and a blu-ray drive.
    I did a currency conversion, then looked at the Australian market. I guess, along with Kraco's observations, there seems to be a great international variance in what money can buy. (The Australian market can hardly be said to be the international leader in early technology introduction).

For anything less than 2500AUD, I have not seen a single BluRay drive.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Considering the price range, I would opt for a dual HDD bay laptop
    Why?
    So that I can upgrade to a SSD for the system and a fat HDD for storage.
    I'm talking big money here, since SSDs are awfully expensive... and it's not their only problem. This is a rather new market and buying the wrong one is a high risk.
    But when you have the right one, you really wonder why they had to torture us for years with processor MHz when it was obvious the limiting factor was the harddrive.
    OCZ vertex and clones is a first choice, Intel Postville too when they solve their firmware troubles.
    There's hope with SandForce controller SSDs coming in the first semester, they should really start the reliable SSD era.

For all other options, there's not much to say, except you'll probably choose Windows 7, either the 32 or 64bit flavor... the latter being the right choice for ram hungry uses like you seek since you can go over the 3.2GB limitation of a 32bits system.

Regarding blu-ray, be sure there's a HDMI out, more convenient.
    Regarding blu-ray software for blu-ray playback, it's not always bundled... so be careful, or even try it with a low price br (Home is very inexpensive I think)

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    For anything less than 2500AUD, I have not seen a single BluRay drive.
    It's true you don't usually see them. Even great many of the so called gaming laptops that cost ~2000 euros (/dollars) don't have them. However, you occasionally see a decently speced laptop with a blu-ray drive for a sensible price. Might take a little bit of browsing and ad hunting to get it, but they are there.