Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Help me!" Thread

Mkvs typically use text based softsubs, so you should be able to extract the subtitle file and then just copy-paste to the google translator.

I'd download mkvtoolnix to do the job. Use mkvinfo to check which track is the subtitles, then mkvextract to get it out of the container. Do the translation, pray the format remains as it is (I wouldn't count on that), fix the formatting, mux back in, taking also out the old subtitles. You might want to use the mkvmerge gui for muxing, which is so simple it's idiot proof (I know because I can use it).

Mkvinfo and mkvextract are command line executables. So, you gotta bring back the good 'ol memories from times before guis (assuming you have those, being so young). They give you help with the switch -?. If you install the packet somewhere (like under program files (x86), you need to path it for easier access when you switch to the working folder containing the actual video file. (It's just path "C:\Program Files (x86)\MKVtoolnix" or wherever you installed it (the quotation marks are needed because there are spaces). This is so that the cmd finds the exes without needing to write the whole fricking path in front of them every time.

Still, I'm nothing but an amateur. Somebody wiser might have a more straightforward solution.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I thought it would be pretty straight-forward too Kraco when I tried that idea this morning, but I got stuck at the extraction part when I tried to extract the subs.

mkvextract extracts the subs as .idx and .sub files. I'll have to look around to see what opens those (notepad opens, but displays a mess of unintelligible stuff - possibly because of the language), so I was hoping there was some other way to extract it into .txt or something copy/paste friendly.

I think Aegisub would open the .sub file to let me edit.. but it'll involve copy/translate/pasting every single line of the file, wouldn't it?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Blog Entries
    How about:

- Extracting it,

- opening with notepad,

- slapping it on google translate

- replacing the text in the notepad with it and save changes

???

- possibly profit!

Google translate is shit for long text though so it will probably still be unwatchable.

Ark, I just said that opening it up in notepad is unintelligible.

Google-translate should be alright since I'm translating from Simplified Chinese (as mentioned above, might be the reason it was unintelligible) to Traditional Chinese, so it just needs to change less than half of the characters without changing syntax at all.

Blog Entries
    Open with aegis and then export the subs to plain-text

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadice View Post
    edit: I've been informed that I am probably thinking of Myst
    I've played Myst and this doesn't sound remotely similar to it. Not only do you not time travel in Myst, but you also don't die in the game either.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Just recently, I found out one of my friends is homosexual.

I've only known him for the last three months and it was a bit of a shocker to me (I'm a bit dense with extrapolating hints because I never like to judge or mind others' business). I know we all live in a modern society that preaches that it's a must to accept homosexual people in our productive society. I haven't been living under a rock, though, as I've perfectly fine with other LBGT individuals on campus (talked, interacted, worked together).

In fact, a few months ago, I found out that one of my friends from high school was actually a lesbian and I was perfectly fine with that, but I don't understand why I feel so fixated on the fact that my male-friend is homosexual. I can't seem to reinforce the idea into my brain that he has always been the same person I've met and known before I discovered his sexual orientation. Is there something wrong with me? How can I fix this ordeal?

This friend is you, isn't it? Don't worry, you are not your sexual orientation. Look in the mirror and know you are still you, just that you like dudes. If it was a sin like the religious folks say, then God would not have created homosexuality.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by enkoujin
    In fact, a few months ago, I found out that one of my friends from high school was actually a lesbian and I was perfectly fine with that, but I don't understand why I feel so fixated on the fact that my male-friend is homosexual. I can't seem to reinforce the idea into my brain that he has always been the same person I've met and known before I discovered his sexual orientation. Is there something wrong with me? How can I fix this ordeal?
    I find guys accept lesbians more readily than gays because lesbians don't really have anything to do with them (unless they wanted to hit on her, but they wouldn't have gotten very far anyway). Do you think you might be trying to pick up cues that your friend's approaching you or other males?

If I had to rationalise it, I'd say it's because you're realising now that sexual tension may be present on his part, whereas you expected none between you and him and vice versa before.

I just had a lecture on disability and consent. One lady who talked was a social worker, and she revealed to us that she couldn't quite hack it at first when she had a baby with Down Syndrome (even though she would often say that the world can do with diversity and such before), and cried a bit that she feels shameful to admit that at one point she wasn't sure whether she wanted the baby dead or alive.

Blog Entries
    >2012
    >Taking anything that enkoukin says seriously

Really?

He's using the help thread.

I give him the benefit of doubt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    He's using the help thread.

I give him the benefit of doubt.
    Good luck with that.

By the way did you solve your own problem? The one with the sub text.

I haven't tried yet. I'm sort of getting by with the subs at the moment, but holidays just started so I might give it a go later.

It was labelled Simplified Chinese and some words looked funny, but overall it contained more Traditional text than anything..

I'm trying to get info on a Fox special TV show where celebrity impersonators acted out to troll unsuspecting fans and onlookers. I remember seeing it on Fox around 1998-2005. The only celebrity impersonator I remember is Tiger Woods, where they had a lookalike giving free golf lessons, but he was very rude and disinterested with people he was supposed to help who have never played golf before. It was a comedy show, and a one time deal. Does anyone remember seeing this and have any leads on finding information about it?

TIA.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome, thanks for the information. I was starting to think the show was just a figment of my imagination or I dreamed it. Sadly I can't find a video of it. If anyone gets the chance to see it, it's pretty damn funny.

Quote Originally Posted by enkoujin View Post
    Just recently, I found out one of my friends is homosexual.

I've only known him for the last three months and it was a bit of a shocker to me (I'm a bit dense with extrapolating hints because I never like to judge or mind others' business). I know we all live in a modern society that preaches that it's a must to accept homosexual people in our productive society. I haven't been living under a rock, though, as I've perfectly fine with other LBGT individuals on campus (talked, interacted, worked together).

What, specifically, is bothering you about him now that you know he's gay? Are you avoiding him, now finding yourself too weirded out by his orientation to interact with him? I'm going to guess it has something to do, as you implied, with the fact that he is a male homosexual. Rest assured he does not secretly have a crush on you and isn't going to molest you after a night of drinks. Talk with him about the subject and remind yourself that while it's been a struggle for you to come to grips with his identity (and there's nothing wrong with that) it's way worse on him.

There is nothing wrong with you, he's a guy and a friend that you have know from quite sometime I am guessing. In someways you shared a lot of common ground, but now you're beginning to question that since he is gay and you're not. I'm inferring a lot of things here, but the best thing is to talk it out with him like Y said. Depends on where you live and your family as well it can be extremely hard for him to come out, if you're his friend and want to continue being his friend, talk it out.

Also gay men are frisky just like any other guy out there when drunk, Y is just trying to get you to drop your guard, don't be fooled.......kidding/ maybe.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Y View Post
    What, specifically, is bothering you about him now that you know he's gay? Are you avoiding him, now finding yourself too weirded out by his orientation to interact with him? I'm going to guess it has something to do, as you implied, with the fact that he is a male homosexual. Rest assured he does not secretly have a crush on you and isn't going to molest you after a night of drinks. Talk with him about the subject and remind yourself that while it's been a struggle for you to come to grips with his identity (and there's nothing wrong with that) it's way worse on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrage View Post
    There is nothing wrong with you, he's a guy and a friend that you have know from quite sometime I am guessing. In someways you shared a lot of common ground, but now you're beginning to question that since he is gay and you're not. I'm inferring a lot of things here, but the best thing is to talk it out with him like Y said. Depends on where you live and your family as well it can be extremely hard for him to come out, if you're his friend and want to continue being his friend, talk it out.
    Thanks a lot, guys.

I found that the hardest thing about accepting someone coming out is that the image you had ingrained into your mind of them got shaken. An example of this effect (but not as extreme) would be similar to your long-time friend telling you one day that he's a necrophiliac. I've seen many works and been to workshops about accepting LGBT individuals, but I've never really dealt with a friend coming out before.

I think it has a lot to do with first impressions. When I meet someone, I'll learn their names and create an character class of them. If I interact with them quite a lot, I can easily adjust to any changes as I go along when I learn anything new about them. It's just the revelation that had a lot of impact.

I can see myself in an alternative situation where if an individual I recently met told me that he was homosexual, I'd just add to his data that he's homosexual. It wouldn't have had any impact at all and I wouldn't speak anything of it.

Sexual tension came to my mind at first, as Bill said, but I'm just adjusting to a more social setting in college. There wasn't a need to talk to him because I slowly learned to accept him for who he is.

Does anyone have any good websites to teach you how to argue effectively?

I've noticed that there's been a huge decline in my arguing and writing skills (maybe it's due to a changing personality or the fact that I'm getting dumber, I don't know), but when I was in my mid-teens, I was able to take down most adults in arguments and thought I was top shit when I aced my Social Studies written diploma in high school.

However, at this day and age, I find myself making lackluster arguments, hypocritical statements, poor examples and making general theses (i.e., correlation does not imply causation). My first rebuttal/riposte are often stellar quality, but as arguments drag on, I lose steam and I focus on nitpicking their words or examples due to a single technicality before I stop posting anything back. I should probably see my local campus writing resource centre for improving my writing, but I need to start with my basics first.

tl;dr: I suck dicks at arguing and writing now; does anyone have any websites for improving those skills?