Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: The Official "Help me!" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    Yep, 40 hours a week, it also increases on dollar on months 12, 24 and 30, then 3 dollars on month 36. Guess I`m signing the contract then :P
    Wow that's awesome. Glad things are looking up for you.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Wow that's awesome. Glad things are looking up for you.
    Yep, it will still take a while, since its a long process, but I should be permanently in the states next year.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Yep, it will still take a while, since its a long process, but I should be permanently in the states next year.
    I know this is pretty late, but good for you, brother!

This is also a pretty stupid question, but should I get two more Wii controllers to have a complete system? For some reason, I feel so empty inside only having two Wiimotes despite only two people in the household playing it regularly.

How many people total would play it? are the remotes for the wii or the wii u? which games spark your group`s interest?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    What UChess said. I'd ask myself "How often have I regretted not having more controllers?"

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

If it afterwards feels like you have too many controllers, you could try being like Ani for a moment and break a controller or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    If it afterwards feels like you have too many controllers, you could try being like Ani for a moment and break a controller or two.
    A big part of that was frustration about my skill at FPS on console (I'm much better on the PC). I knew I didn't suck, so why was I sucking so bad, routinely scoring ~.35 KDR with 6 kills/15 deaths scores? Turns out, I don't suck, just my internet connection at home sucks. I played on my college network and routinely had better than 1.0 KDR, with my best games being 24-12 and 24-6. There are caveats to that, but still a huge difference based solely on network speed.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

If you guys had to choose one of these, which would it be and why? Keep in mind the only thing I know about cars is that I drive one.

[Retail] 2014 Ford Focus (P3F) 4dr Sdn SE (36)

[Retail] 2014 Nissan Rogue Select (29014) AWD 4dr S

[Retail] 2014 Nissan Rogue Select (29114) FWD 4dr S

[Retail] 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan (1622J3) 4dr Auto S (30)

[Retail] 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan (5N2AV1) 2WD 4dr Auto S (19)

[Retail] 2015 Dodge Journey (JCDH49) FWD 4dr SE (5)

[Retail] 2015 Ford Escape (U0G) FWD 4dr SE

[Retail] 2015 Ford Fiesta (P4B) 4dr Sdn SE (3)

[Retail] 2015 Jeep Cherokee (KLTL74) FWD 4dr Sport (2)

[Retail] 2015 Jeep Compass (MKTE49) FWD 4dr Sport (2)

[Retail] 2015 Volkswagen Golf (AU12Q3) 4dr HB Auto TSI S

Can you get a hatchback version of the Focus, Fiesta, or Golf? The sedans versions are pretty crappy variants of otherwise great small cars. Fiesta will have best mileage, Focus will have the best mix of mileage and cargo space, with the Golf being a solid vehicle overall, but more pricey.

...but only the hatchback versions of each.

Otherwise go for the Ford Escape. You're sacrificing gas mileage for utility, but overall it's the best of the bunch in terms of usefulness and reliability. Jeeps are expensive to repair, VWs are expensive overall for what they are, and the Nissan Rogues are just bleh.

I agree with most of what Ryllharu recommends, VWs are expensive to maintain, plus stay away from the Dodge. I don't care for the Nissan Rogue but if looks don't matter it's a decent vehicle. The Escape is good if you need the utility but its bigger than most of the cars listed and Ford doesn't have the reputation for reliability. I'd say expand the list and see what else is out there. I personally haven't looked for a vehicle in the past 10 years and if I did it wouldn't be an econo-car. But for your first there are better options than what you have listed.

FORD - Found on the Road Dead, doesn't really apply anymore. Ford is one of the more reliable manufacturers out there these days. Their smaller cars are better than the rest of their fleet, sure, but they beat the pants off of Chrysler overall. Most of Ford's problem are from the Infotainment system (Sync or MyTouch), which doesn't really count, since the car still works fine and gets you from point A to B. It's not like the turbo blew (Mazdas/Subaru), the head gasket went (Chevy), or the timing belt broke and fucked up the valves (Honda).

Don't trust outfits like Consumer Reports, they and their readers have been biased toward Japanese cars for the past two decades. Specifically Toyota (despite their numerous problems recently). The "least reliable" vehicles are also least surprisingly the best sellers...because they are cheap, popular, or both.

More out there, more problems.

Hahah I hadn't heard of that one before. I always knew of "Fix Or Repair Daily." I guess reliability is somewhat subjective and relative these days, with even Toyota having a few recalls and that Prius acceleration scandal (which I recall might have been a hoax). But Ford definitely still has it's share of problems with a couple recalls this year alone for airbag defects (affected several makers) and a fuel tank leak issue.

I think Consumer Reports is fine for a lot of things, but I always question reviews based on use from most anyone. People just don't take care of their shit. *Knock on wood*, but products that people complain about or call garbage almost always work great for me. We've had Toyotas in the family and they've been amazing. My Dad still drives his 12 year old 4Runner with no issues the entire life of ownership. I'm also partial to Nissans and I've had a Subaru for 10 years completely problem free (that I didn't cause). Sure anything with a turbo or supercharger will be more likely to fail, but they do make the car more fun to drive.

Don't misrepresent the airbag recall as a Ford problem. Japanese autos are hit the hardest because, surprise, Takata Corporation is Japanese. Ford's umbrella of Makes was hit the lightest. Honda and Toyota the hardest. An order of magnitude in difference.

Honda: 5,051,364 total number of potentially affected vehicles (all of their best sellers)
    Toyota: 877,000 total number of potentially affected vehicles (most of their best sellers)
    Ford: 58,669 total number of potentially affected vehicles (just three models which are average sellers)

And the Toyota pedal issue is half design flaw, half hoax. The pedals were getting caught on the floor mats, and the first issue in the rental Lexus was the real deal.

The problem is that nearly all of the Runaway Prius issues were either people seeking attention (straight up hoax) or pressing the wrong pedal. A lot of drivers that are in the prius demographic are elderly, and they've been having that problem forever. Those people claiming the engines can overcome the brakes were full of shit as well. Most people never depress the brakes all the way to the point where ABS kicks in (and when ABS does activate they sometimes get scared and ease off). Hybrid drivers especially get accustomed to only using the regenerative brakes.

But the problem was ultimately pinned down to Toyota's terrible Electronic Throttle Control System software in subsequent court cases years later that were quietly swept under the rug via settlements. Car software is a huge mess, and Toyota was found to have allowed for a couple of failure modes where the car will just accelerate. NASA ran out of time and wasn't able to finish a few years earlier, but for the court cases another consultant group was brought in and given access and time to assess the entire source code.

Wasn't trying to make it seem like a Ford specific issue, as I stated it affected several makers. Not to diminish problems with the airbag (which typically only come into play in a frontal accident), but that's a lot less worrying than the recalls for issues with the gas tank (gas-tank-defect-forces-ford-to-recall-11-million-pickup-trucks/, ford-recalls-205000-suvs-fuel-tank-leaks-26541556).

Here are some of the various recalls Ford has issued recently:
    http://www.edmunds.com/recalls/ford.html

Remember, this isn't a discussion of which maker has more problems, as all makers have their share of problems, even the previous reliability stalwarts Toyota and Honda. Also remember that a lot of these "foreign" manufactured cars are actually designed and produced in the US. Ford still has its share of problems that make it a less desirable purchase in my eyes.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me what`s so good about Game of Thrones? I saw all of season one and have nothing but hate for most of the characters and dialog.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    words
    So what car did you buy?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Haven`t picked one yet, still a long way before I move to the USA

Can someone PLEASE explain to me what`s so good about Game of Thrones? I saw all of season one and have nothing but hate for most of the characters and dialog.
    I can understand this. Reading the books, the characters are more fleshed out so you have more empathy and connection to them so you take sides and are shocked when they die. In the show, it's hard to feel loyalty to any of the factions, particularly when they all seem either horrible or dumb and die off so suddenly. But I guess that's the attraction; the characters are very human and given to doing dumb stuff that gets them killed. Unlike in other shows, people actually die when they do dumb stuff.

Apartments & Stuff

Anyone know how I can get a cheap apartment and/or room in Brooklyn or Manhattan?

The CL roommate Russian roulette discussion in the bitching thread was enough to scare me off CL.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

So I realized the previous cars are a bit over my projected budget, so I ask for a cheaper one and got offered this.

2015 Nissan OMSC Versa S+ Sedan 1.6L CVT.

Thoughts?