Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: The Official "Help me!" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    So I realized the previous cars are a bit over my projected budget, so I ask for a cheaper one and got offered this.

2015 Nissan OMSC Versa S+ Sedan 1.6L CVT.

Thoughts?
    Maybe look at some used cars. If you don't mind saying, what is your budget? Based on the Versa, is it around $14k? Do you plan to buy outright or pay monthly?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Well, I`ll be earning 5.4k minus taxes, I`ll be living in Montana, for that car I`ll pay 329 a month, the others were closer to 500. I want to spend as little as possible since I have a few tiny debts here and I want to deal with that ASAP. I`m not sure on an used car, since I`ll probably be traveling quite a bit and don`t really want to deal with changing parts and whatnot.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

$5.4k per month I assume? Montana is a cheap place to live. If you increase the down payment you can get the monthly payment down. But yeah, used cars are an option but not great if you don't know how to fix little things yourself.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Ya, per month.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

I don't know your finances, but you can definitely afford a better car on that salary living in Montana.

I`d have to send about 1k home per month for a while, then I can reduce it to 700 or so once I clear all the debts.

Get snow tires and you'll be fine.

You might need chains too.

You have all the time in the world for "upgrading" to a better car. Paying out debts and having some savings (for the times things go bad) are priorities in my book. If you get the Nissan and do what Ryllharu said you will be okay. Actually the "only" threats would be the ppl that buy those fucking monster cars and ride them as if they were rally pilots, when they are not.
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

Why not buy a good car that will last you 10+ years instead of an econocar that you'll tire of in a few years if it makes it that long? One of the few good things the Nissan has going for it is that it's front wheel drive which is preferable in ice and snowy weather. Add in the snow tires and chains and you should be fine, but that 109HP won't help you get out of snow banks or muddy roads. If he'll be traveling a bit for work as he says, it makes even more sense to invest in a vehicle that he can rely on and be comfortable in. Montana winters in a rolling box of sheet metal will be a pain. Also keep in mind that he'll be in Montana, where he'll be surrounded by a lot of those big trucks.

Because you can overpay on an econobox. That saves you a lot of money when you pay off the loans early. If money gets tight, you go back to paying the minimum.

As for getting out of snowbanks or mud, that's what the snow tires and chains are for.

Horsepower doesn't do jack shit in the snow. The more torque you have, the more easily you spin the wheels. If you're towing someone else out of a snowbank or up a hill? Sure, horsepower helps. Otherwise under your own power and on your own, you go slow and feather the throttle in an automatic. In a manual, you go up a gear. You want to reduce the torque and go gentle. Gradual acceleration, gradual turns, gradual braking.

You can pay off principal on any car and still have a good car instead of an econobox. If you plan and budget, money shouldn't be the main issue.

Snow tires and chains should keep you on the road and out of the bad spots, but you want some power to get through the bad roads, especially the sparsely populated roads in Montana. Also keep in mind the socio-anthropological factors. He's a gay Hispanic man living in Montana. At least he doesn't have to drive around in a foreign econobox.

You've never driven in snow, have you? The 1/8th of an inch Texas gets every four years and can't deal with because they have 8 plows in the entire state doesn't count. Snow tires keep you on the road, chains keep you from getting stuck.

He's not climbing rocks with a jeep ffs. You don't need power. Even the farm roads in Montana are in better condition than Michegan roads. What exactly would he ever need to "power through"?

When you get wedged in a snowdrift, you don't power out of it, you dig out of it and throw down some ash or sand or whatever. Ease out of it. Ash works the best for sure. When you attempt to "power" your way out of it, you make ice and hardpack that you can't get out of, and then you need to get towed.

I lived up north for a few years. Farms in Montana? A bit too cold there for farming. Lots of country roads and unpaved roads though. You need power to get through muddy roads but I guess not really for the highways and main streets. I think any car with 109hp just isn't right for any driving condition.

UPDATE: http://www.intlauto.com/showroom/

This site has a Build-a-car option, this way we can have a look at all of my options. I`m inclined towards the pathfinder, but remember, I know nothing of cars.

I know that most ppl would recommend you getting a pickup or huge 4x4, a range rover, land cruiser, forester, etc but I would suggest something like a Fiat panda 4x4. Small wheel, light, 4x4, perfect for snowed asphalt roads and pretty cheap.

I'm pretty sure they don't sell the Panda here in the US. Regardless buying a Fiat will mean higher maintenance costs, if there are even Fiat dealers in Montana. But a pickup truck, while useful, would be tough to drive in snow and ice due to poor weight distribution. You'd have to carry a few hundred pounds of ballast in the bed to keep from fish-tailing. A Subaru Forester or similar small SUV would be a good choice.

Uh yeah didnt think of that. Its a shame though. When we go to skii to the alps or pyrenees we rent cars, tried a few, and the Fiat is the cheapest and most amazing one in snow conditions. Suzuki Jimny and Subaru Forester felt really good too.

I`m buying a next (current?) gen console soon, last three generations I vastly preferred my playstations, last gen I got both the 360 and ps3 and the ps3 won by a tiny bit for me. It might seem like I`m a sony fanboy but I swear it`s all a coincidence. I like to keey my mind open so I`m listening to opinions, ps4 or xbone?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Who can help me: A person with an English, Retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

How you can help me: Enter your key into Microsoft's website to obtain the ISO download link. Send me the link.

Background information:

I've got some OS corruption and want to perform a non-destructive repair-install. My original disc is useless for this because it isn't Service Pack 1 like my OS is currently. Microsoft somehow thinks my key is for a Korean OS and only presents me that ISO. My OS is English and the Korean ISO will screw things up. MS says I need a new key but can't hand out W7 keys anymore. I don't see a W8.1 key (paid or unpaid) as a viable solution.

If you can help me, that'd be great. Otherwise I'll sit on this until W10.

Microsoft software recovery website: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Tool for retrieving your OS's key: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Microsoft somehow thinks my key is for a Korean OS and only presents me that ISO. My OS is English and the Korean ISO will screw things up. MS says I need a new key but can't hand out W7 keys anymore. I don't see a W8.1 key (paid or unpaid) as a viable solution.
    How about a Finnish version? According to the Americans, Finnish is easier for English speakers than Korean!