Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Help me!" Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    Is plugging a laptop to an HDTV as simple as buying a cable or is it a "depends on wich laptop/tv you have" thing?
    Does your laptop and TV support hdmi? If so get one of those cables and you're done.

I swear Bill and the other techno geeks love to make this shit sound harder than it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    I swear Bill and the other techno geeks love to make this shit sound harder than it actually is.
    Indeed.

Even if you don't have HDMI, there's a good chance your TV will have a VGA plug and a corresponding 1/8" (3.5mm) speaker connector. VGA to VGA and headphone port to 1/8" (3.5mm) jack using a male-to-male cable and you're done.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 03-09-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added metric

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

See, it all depends on the plug in the laptop and the TV. >_>

If the laptop is old enough, it could well be sporting an S-Video output.

Maybe the TV doesn't have a VGA input but only HDMI, in which case a you'll need some active A/D converter. Or he's out of digital connections on his TV and wants to use component video.

You're free to take the "there's a good chance" approach, or take the "worst case scenario, things you have to consider" approach.. so I'll disagree about making it "harder than it actually is". It's more like highlighting how hard it CAN be.

Anyway, if unsure, pictures of laptop ports and available HDTV ports (or just their model numbers) would solve this.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Words
    If it has HDMI you'll need one cable, if doesn't you'll need 2 cables. There, done.

An HDMI cable should be all you need, if your laptop has an HDMI port. Otherwise most HDTVs have 15 pin VGA inputs (standard monitor cable with blue heads) plus an audio cable (some TVs don't have an 1/8-in audio-in jack, in which case you have to listen to audio via speakers on the laptop or connected to it).

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    (some TVs don't have an 1/8-in audio-in jack, in which case you have to listen to audio via speakers on the laptop or connected to it).
    There are 3.5mm-to-RCA cables available for that, but whether both the video and audio input will work simultaneously isn't certain.

Only if you're plugging the audio into the wrong source.

My television (less than a year old) has a 3.5 mm jack right below the VGA input. Most I have seen do the same. A lot of TVs for sale today don't have the VGA at all, because most laptops (and even a lot of tablets) have HDMI.

A shame, because VGA doesn't have bullshit DRM layer garbage that HDMI does. HDCP desyncs audio from time to time on my xbox360 when playing a DVD. Never did when I was using the VGA input on my monitor. I would use the VGA, but the damn TV mount blocks it because the xbox cable connectors are huge. Pause it, swap sources, swap back, and it restores it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryll
    Only if you're plugging the audio into the wrong source.
    Indeed, that was what I was meaning.

My precaution was to warn against anybody:

1) seeing a 3.5mm output on their laptop
    2) seeing no 3.5mm-input on their TV
    3) seeing RCA inputs somewhere on their TV
    4) learning that 3.5mm-to-RCA cables exist
    5) purchasing the cables
    6) find out after spending money, that the cables won't give him sound while playing.

I can not guaruntee that if a TV does not have a 3.5mm input, that it would automatically have substitute RCAs that would sync with the video input.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryll
    My television (less than a year old) has a 3.5 mm jack right below the VGA input. Most I have seen do the same. A lot of TVs for sale today don't have the VGA at all, because most laptops (and even a lot of tablets) have HDMI.

A shame, because VGA doesn't have bullshit DRM layer garbage that HDMI does. HDCP desyncs audio from time to time on my xbox360 when playing a DVD. Never did when I was using the VGA input on my monitor. I would use the VGA, but the damn TV mount blocks it because the xbox cable connectors are huge. Pause it, swap sources, swap back, and it restores it.
    How easily could you substitute HDMI with component video in those cases?

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Wow, this escalated quickly. My laptop has a VGA thing, my tv has hdmi AND VGA.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Blog Entries
    Then buy a vga thing and a sound thing, ask the dude in the store he'll know what i'm talking about.

People often have one or two VGA cables lying around from ancient times. They can cost surprisingly lot so check first your closets and boxes to avoid getting a new one unnecessarily. You might need to buy the audio cable, though, but that's pocket money compared to the VGA.

Then buy a vga thing and a sound thing, ask the dude in the store he'll know what i'm talking about.
    The "things" are:

1) Male-to-male VGA cable
    2) Male-to-male 3.5mm cable (also known as Male-to-male 1/8 inch cable)

Only guy the 3.5mm cable after confirming that you have such a sound input on your TV though.

I think it'd be better to buy a small PC sound system that you connect to your laptop. Audio through the TV is usually weak unless you have a nice HT system.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I've noticed this random behaviour lately when I play video games. BF3 in particular goes into a windowed mode, but the main thing is that there appears to be chinese input in the top left of the screen. It'll activate randomly somehow (I'm guessing some combination of space/alt or something like that), but I've already disabled (or I should have) the keybind that enables switching of alternative language input in the control panel.

The frame rate goes down, generally when this happens. Also, in some games it actually stops me from moving hecause WASD is being used for the text input as above. I've only managed to revert the behaviour once - I assume I pressed the same keys again that were responsible for activation/inactivation of this weird behaviour).

Leaving a game will definitely work, but sometimes that's not ideal since a party rejoin isn't possible afterwards.

Anyone else experienced this sort of thing before?

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9027/errorrq.png

So you've changed the keyboard shortcuts (alt+shift) in the Language Bar for the language input and the problem still persists?

Other than doing the above and temporarily uninstalling your keyboards while gaming, I'm not too sure what you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by enkoujin View Post
    So you've changed the keyboard shortcuts (alt+shift) in the Language Bar for the language input and the problem still persists?

Other than doing the above and temporarily uninstalling your keyboards while gaming, I'm not too sure what you can do.
    I checked after I made that post, and the language input was indeed cleared.

I checked again before posting this just to be sure, and I scrolled down to see that the last entry for Traditional chinese entry is Ctrl+Space. That setting seems persistent, and even though I click "disable hotkey" or something similar, it always turns back on immediately after an "Apply".

I don't need chinese input, only East Asian fonts for reading/displaying purposes (Japanese song file names etc), so I might think about uninstalling that sometime. Good to know that my troubles can be fixed with a quick Ctrl+Space in the meanwhile though.

Thanks guys!

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    I want to make a website for my college group, I want it to have a section to download and this section should have sub sections for every subject so I can upload doc and ppt files, A "news" section and if possible a mini chat, does anyone knows an easy way to make this?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

either forum with shoutbox + google drive/dropbox for files(quick and dirty method)... or you need to find it/write it yourself(rather write - because finding it would be a bit tiresome).
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Seems like you need a CMS, a friend of mine made one for me a while back and it seems like it's just what you need, but mine only works with uploading images.
    -----------------

my university uses moodle for that, (we switched over from highlearn). It's open source, so maybe you can find a version that fits your needs.