Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Rules on Spoilers

Not to mention that we have the naruto open discussion section precisely for that reason, as far as naruto is concerned. And our only other big anime, bleach isn't quite as popular as naruto hence theres no need for an bleach open discussion yet.

Like bud said, these forums are for fansubbed anime, not random info you mite find from other sources. And even then, we have open and manga discussions where you can spoil to your hearts content.

I'll go on the record saying that I'd like spoiler tags, or the ability to change text color to the color of the background like we could do two forum revisions ago.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    It's possible to implement in vbulletin (in fact, there's already mods written to do just that). It wasn't possible to implement in a sane way in Fusetalk, which was why they went away.

I'm not philosophically opposed to spoiler tags. I see a lot of other potentially good uses for them -- like hiding giant layout-breaking images in the desktop thread, for example.

However, I am opposed to the idea of spoiler tag abuse -- if we were to install such a mod, I'd expect that discussion rules would mostly stay the same: manga spoilers still wouldn't belong in anime discussion threads, and vice-versa. I'd also expect that there wouldn't be large stretches of threads wrapped in spoiler tags. However, I'd personally be a more active poster in a couple of threads (series discussions for series that I'm not quite current on) if I knew that clicking on the discussion thread didn't necessarily assume that I'd already seen the latest speedsubber-release of the series.

Take, for example: utawarerumono. I'm watching yesy's version, and don't really approve of your-mom's approach to subbing in general (they're sort of ... spitesubbers), so I don't intend to watch theirs. Since I'm waiting for a relatively reputable group to release, and there's discussion of your-mom's episodes in that thread, I can't really participate meaningfully in the thread anymore. By the time yesy twitches again and releases another couple eps (or, I guess if Static does underground releases), most discussion will have already happened about your-mom's version, meaning it'll still be pointless to even try to participate in the thread anymore.

Spoiler tags make enforcement of spoiler rules a bit muddier, and make discussion moderation in general a bit tougher. But with some sane rules, they can help prevent that from happening by letting people watching the speedsubber versions of things stay in the discussion while not spoiling and giving a generally bad time to the non-speedsub-watchers, and I'm all for that.

So, really, I'm on the fence. I'm interested in seeing how much interest there is in this ... it's really not particularly hard to make happen, just a question of whether we want it or not.

The only reason I was opposed to spoiler tags is because I don't want any sort of spoilers permitted in the Anime forums. Even if we make the policy as you explained above, I bet you that 100% of new members will not know of them and will see the spoiler tags as a means for them to discuss spoilers without knowing any better. The end result will be giving incentive for spoiler discussions and anime only watchers being spoiled.

The other problem about speed subbers, who here will decide which subs are ok to discuss and which aren't? There's really no logical way to go about it. I find myself in the same situation as you. I'd be more active if people would just stop watching and discussing speed subbers, but that isn't going to happen. So I just watch till the end of the series at my pace, and just post my comments on the series when I finish watching it.
    Last edited by Munsu; Fri, 09-29-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Budweineken
    So I just watch till the end of the series at my pace, and just post my comments on the series when I finish watching it.
    Ya, thats what i do as well. I dont really think there are alot of people in the same situation as comp, so theres no need for spoiler tags to be implemented.

All in all comp, stop trying to be different and just conform

Edit: lol bud, can of worms?
    Last edited by Assassin; Fri, 09-29-2006 at 07:12 PM.

I can certainly understand the "can of worms" notion, and I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea how much work it would be to implement spoiler tags.

That being said, I'd like to suggest a compromise. It may possibly be controversial, but I think it could work. To avoid said "can of worms" effect we introduce a two-tiered system. "Senior" posters have access to spoiler tags, different fonts and colors, deleting their own posts, etcetera. "Junior" posters have no such abilities. This is based on the notion that any "senior" members have contributed enough posts to this forum that they probably won't abuse the system (much). The line between "junior" and "senior" members can be post count, join date, reputation, or anything else the admins deem appropriate. Alternatively, "senior" status may be given or taken away on a case-by-case basis by mods.

I understand that this may raise many concerns. Any two-tiered system is inherently prejudicial. There is no doubt that some "junior" members will complain about their status. I believe that the benefits still outway the costs. The gains (real or egotistical) of becoming a "senior" member may entice more people to become regular posters. This may also give a feeling that responsible members are rewarded on GotWoot.

Again, I admit that I have no idea how much work this would require.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonlonghair
    To avoid said "can of worms" effect we open a can of angry hornets instead
    ... I don't like it.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    implementing spoiler tags does seem to have some support, and if regulated properly would only stimulate manga and open discussions.

also, spoiler tags could be a great asset in the General Anime section, like comp pointed out. People could discuss different subs of the same show, especially if people were smart enough to pick up on the fact that some of the speed subbers might not be preferred and watched by the majority of those following the anime. Show like Eureka7 and Uta show that lulls in releases by highly favored groups creates a problem that I only see spoiler tags as holding the solution to.

And I've also often wondered about how much the lack of spoiler tags holds back the Fanart section... All those beautiful images going unused...

And so far it seems that the majority of the openly voiced people here favor this idea, especially if its implemented correctly on the anime only/open/manga levels. So perhaps we can get more specific on the rules IF we do use spoiler tags?

and sorry samson, i really don't care for that idea. fuel for animosity

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

I don't like spoiler tags at all, but I can certainly see the point Complich was making. Wanton use of spoiler tags would make reading threads really annoying; I have witnessed this often enough over at some subbers' forums, where everything that concerns the plot and certain details of the episodes have to be in spoiler tags.

So, if there weren't really strict rules, it would mean new people especially might place all episode discussion in spoiler tags, because if you haven't grasped the traditions of this forum, that could seem logical. And then people only trying to avoid speed sub discussion would also skip those posts even if they didn't contain any speed sub spoilers but just normal current ep details.

Moderating this kind of thing would be really hard. But of course, in the end, such use of spoiler tags wouldn't actually hurt the threads, only cause people to skip posts automatically.

I agree with Kraco... plus I really don't see how you guys can expect to implement more specific rules for the spoiler tags usage, when members can't even follow the basic simple rules like "don't double post" and "don't ask when xx episode will be released".

And as I said before, who here will have the authority to decide which subs are OK to discuss and which aren't?

And also as I said before, I really don't want this forum to become another animesuki. There's a reason why I'm active here, and the lack spoilers and spoiler tags are the main reason.

The main problem with the spoiler tags is that you don't know what is being spoiled. You often think that what is included in the spoiler tag is a discussion of the current episode (as many posters seem to like to use it for this) then you click on the box and what do you find? A fucking spoiler from 3 episodes ahead.

Mods don't watch all the animes that are released, and we don't have enough mods around to go about checking all the spoiler tags too see if they are following the rules, especially if the mods themselves are risking getting spoiled.

Heck, to give you a perspective on how episodes discussions used to be handled:
    In the early days we could only discuss a fansub release 24 hours after the release. If AonE was doing a series, you could only discuss up to where AonE had released. That would mean that you would've only been able to discuss Fate/stay night up till episode 22.
    Last edited by Munsu; Sun, 10-01-2006 at 12:50 PM.

I would also say no to spoiler tags, what good would they be? Bud's points basically explain it all. The tags either lull you into a false sense of security, destroy the discussion, or do both at the same time.

On to my point, a question just popped into my head. How will people in the Naruto anime section know when the fillers are over? Are manga readers actually allowed to tell them ''Hey! This arc was in the manga the fillers are over!!!!"

When the fillers are over, believe me, you'll know. For one thing, the episodes wont suck monkey testicles. The plot will also make sense and wont be just random 'adventures'. Plus, im sure someone will post something along the lines of "Wohoo fillers are finally done" or "yes, finally back to the original story line".

I didn't think my idea would be too popular.

I just thought of something that I should have thought of earlier. I was really over thinking it earlier. There's a much simpler solution that won't piss off a bunch of people: make spoiler tags available by typing the word "spoiler" in brackets, but don't make a button for the spoiler tag.

To phrase it better, there would be no button for the spoiler tags, but I could just type "[spoiler]Naruto gets bitten by a vampire in the next episode[/spoiler]" to conceal that text.

If there's no button the tags won't be overused, and new people won't even know the ability is there until they try to type it themselves.

Flaw in your plan...word of mouth. Eventually people will find out and then you'd be right back in the same situation that the button would have caused.

Not sure if it's been discussed, but just looking at the forum main directory, under "Naruto Open Discussion", it shows "last post" in a thread titled "Sixth Hokage". That right there is a possible spoiler to someone like me, who has not read the manga. Now I'm thinking, "sixth hokage?!? What happens to Tsunade? Omigosh! Who is this mysterious sixth hokage?? Will it be Naruto? Or some other super ninja we haven't met before? Maybe Jiraiya? Maybe Ebisu? Maybe Konohamaru?

What can be done about this blatant disregard for the rules???

I changed that threads name just a bit to "The Sixth Hokage?". I put a ? after it, so it gives an idea that it's a suggestion or possible truth and not an actual fact. That thread has been around for a little while now.

If you still believe this is a spoiler, come up with another suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Not sure if it's been discussed, but just looking at the forum main directory, under "Naruto Open Discussion", it shows "last post" in a thread titled "Sixth Hokage". That right there is a possible spoiler to someone like me, who has not read the manga. Now I'm thinking, "sixth hokage?!? What happens to Tsunade? Omigosh! Who is this mysterious sixth hokage?? Will it be Naruto? Or some other super ninja we haven't met before? Maybe Jiraiya? Maybe Ebisu? Maybe Konohamaru?

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=13748

Just know we keep an eye on thread titles, that's all you need to know... There's no blatant disregard for the rules, just paranoid people.

And kai, I removed your question mark... so now we are going to add a question mark to all the threads in Open Discussion? It's not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax

All that thread is is speculation on who might become the sixth hokage. There are some spoilers in the thread, but not relating to the thread title.

No, not all threads in there will need a question mark, but one can be added to this thread. I don't see why it couldn't.

without the ?, it's saying that it's a statement, with it it could mean it's true or not.

• Anything which reveals future, un-seen as of yet plot elements, thus denying the reader the proper suspense when reading the book or watching the movie.
    • Identifying whether a character is in/not in the manga, especially when the comment reveals whether a character will become important in the future of the anime.
    • Spoilers in thread titles. Remember, even if your thread is in the manga section, it can still be seen from the frontpage. Therefore all thread titles should not have any info outside of the anime.
    Last edited by kAi; Tue, 10-03-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAi
    No, not all threads in there will need a question mark, but one can be added to this thread. I don't see why it couldn't.
    Fine, if you want to be Animeniax's bitch... I'm all for it.