Page 112 of 159 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    So, I woke up, and the world isn't over over here. Is it over any where else for you guys?

About the zombie apocalypse post: My neighbor bought me the "Zombie Survival Guide" for Christmas. I read the hell out of that book. I suggest that everyone buy that, if they really know how to be be ready for the next Zombie Apocalypse Invasion thingy.

Has anyone seen Children of Men? That is the ultimate apocalypse movie. In the story, no one has had a child in 18 years, so everyone is going crazy. The movie really brings on this feeling of hopeless condemnation. In the book version, the British government makes everyone learn animal husbandry, just in case they found themselves as the last humans on earth.
    I couldn't miss the subtle racial/ethnic undertones of Children of Men, like when they were arresting all foreigners. I think it reflects an underlying nationalism/racism prevalent in the UK and western Europe.

I haven't read the Zombie Survival Guide, but I have read How to Survive a Robot Uprising which wasn't as useful as hoped. What do we do when zombie robots walk the earth??

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

That sounds quite useful!!
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I couldn't miss the subtle racial/ethnic undertones of Children of Men, like when they were arresting all foreigners. I think it reflects an underlying nationalism/racism prevalent in the UK and western Europe.

I haven't read the Zombie Survival Guide, but I have read How to Survive a Robot Uprising which wasn't as useful as hoped. What do we do when zombie robots walk the earth??
    I saw the same things you did. I enjoyed both the movie and the book. Children of men was quite a thought provoking film.

Scotty Wins!

I think American Idolater is a bunch of crap.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Are you talking about American Idol? :O

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Are you talking about American Idol? :O
    Yes. I watch Simpsons on Fox at 6:30 every evening, then fall asleep (old man needs his evening nap). AI just happens to come on right after, so I woke up around 8:30, just in time to see Scotty win. Blah, another country singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Yes. I watch Simpsons on Fox at 6:30 every evening, then fall asleep (old man needs his evening nap).

Remember, country singers represent the "Real America". Not that fake one with all those urban people with their godlessness and hippity-hoppity music.

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post

Remember, country singers represent the "Real America". Not that fake one with all those urban people with their godlessness and hippity-hoppity music.

This face and those words........ don't match....
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

My point exactly; I am obviously not a "Real American" in the eyes of some (although I believe my niece enjoys country music), which I find to be very humorous.

Me thinks the American constitution shares a different opinion, along with all the other genres of music Americans has spawned that has become synonymous with being an American. The people you are noting are people with very limited views that has very little interaction urban society or just are ignorant of others or just damn arrogant. Throughout the years I have become less of a fan of Hip hop and rap music because it has been degraded in content. But i see your, point good sir.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

In AI's defense, Carrie Underwood is one of it's greatest products. I don't care for her music, but she is good people. Can't really say the same for Fantasia.

Wow, I was just being sarcastic and liken Ani to Abe Simpson, and it led to this. I like when these sort of things happen.

Holy fucking shitting fucking shit.

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon View Post
    That's beautiful. Also prompted me to do a little google search about people immune to the HIV virus, at which point I ran into the following:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0505133250.htm

Basically, about .5% of people infected with HIV have a gene (HLA B57) that produces high numbers of T-cells that actually kill the HIV virus including any mutating form of it. Once a killer T-cell binds to an HIV virus, it becomes activated and sweeps the body for more HIV. Almost everyone has these T-cells in their body but they exist in low concentrations for those who do not have that HLA B57 gene. This means that research in creating a vaccine designed to activate these T-cells is very promising. I think things might be looking up in the fight against HIV-AIDS.
    Last edited by Uchiha Barles; Mon, 06-06-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

They are also making progress in potential treatment for cancer with methods such as laser surgery. It's very possible that there will be an effective cure (althought expensive) for these diseases in the next 10 years.

Things move slowly but each step is closing on the cure of the worst 21st century diseases.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2048195/
    Last edited by Edort4; Mon, 06-06-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Edort4 View Post
    Things move slowly but each step is closing on the cure of the worst 21st century diseases.
    There will always be others to keep us on our toes.

But I think it's was actually Magic Johnson who was the first person to be cured of HIV/AIDS. He did it by getting enough blood transfusions to replace all of his own infected blood with other peoples' blood.

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Naw, what happened with magic is that the medication was successful at keeping the concentrations of the HIV virus in his blood at undetectably low levels. However, the virus still hides in his lymph nodes and its necessary for him to continue the medication lest the blood virus concentration re-surges. This guy takes no HIV medication, yet his blood virus concentration seems to be 0.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

I heard from a definitive source that he had the blood transfusions to clear his blood. It's a little known fact, not widely known by the public because it's selfish and kind of disturbing.