Page 2 of 159 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: In the news today

The twin wasn't alive for 36 years, it can only survive for so long inside his stomach.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by SK
    The twin wasn't alive for 36 years, it can only survive for so long inside his stomach.
    perhaps you didn't read? You seem to have missed the pertinent part.,,

Sometimes, however, as in Bhagat's case, the host twin survives and is delivered.
    They do not go into detail about the "twin's" condition, but it sounded like it had been living inside of him for some time afterwards, maybe even right up to the moment they removed it.

And thinking on it some more, removing the "twin" is the only ethical move possible. If you don't remove the twin, the man dies and the "twin" dies as well because it has been living off of it. There's really no other option and I can't imagine even the most staunch pro-Lifers arguing that saving one life should require sacrificing another.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

It survived past his birth and for sometime inside him, but it was not alive for 36 years...

Since you're sounding quite pompous, perhaps you need to take a biology course. The so called twin is actually considered a type of tumor, it develops tissue and in very rare cases can even develop organs, but is never actually an organism. Basically it sounds like in this case bits and pieces of foetus developed, even surviving past the birth of the host twin, surviving meaning the tissues developed using the hosts blood stream for nutrients etc. To think there was an actual twin surviving for 36 years inside of another human is stupidity. Where did you go to school?
    Last edited by SK; Sat, 04-28-2007 at 02:29 AM.

It survived past his birth and for sometime inside him, but it was not alive for 36 years...
    There's no question of it being alive. Some argue even viruses are living organisms. This thing inside the man was practically a tumor, but it was certainly living tissue. However, I didn't get the impression from the article it was anything more than a collection of permanently underdeveloped parts of a human. Removing it would rather equal to removing a mutated third hand than removing a human (or a fetus).

There's a difference between being "alive" and being "sentient"
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    or for that matter, sapient.

But some people who are considered alive and extended the same rights as humans are medically incapable of either sentience or sapience. On a deeper level, it's not clear that sentience or sapience is the property that confers independent moral status, and it's a fairly controversial stance to say that one or the other is necessary or sufficient for that -- if it's necessary, you can find infants and the mentally handicapped that don't pass the test. If it's sufficient, you can find animals that do.

The article describes the fetus-in-fetu as somewhat incompletely developed. I'd say, if it came out viable, I'd give it moral consideration. If it came out incapable of surviving outside of the host, I'd consider it dead and morally irrelevant.

Makes you think though ... if it came out viable, sprung from the belly of the host as a fully developed, viable adult human being, what would its life be like? Would it have an identity? Would it have acquired language? What would it be like? Could it adapt to life outside?

Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    Makes you think though ... if it came out viable, sprung from the belly of the host as a fully developed, viable adult human being, what would its life be like? Would it have an identity? Would it have acquired language? What would it be like? Could it adapt to life outside?
    Doubt it. Many case studies have shown to child psychologists that even the most basic forms of cognition and sensation must be developed within a child at various early stages of its life, or else it will become permanently impossible to obtain.

A person who spent 36 years inside someone's stomache, for example.....
    1) Would never have moved their body and would experience atrophy of their muscles.
    2) Would never have used their eyes and, even if they weren't blind, would have absolutely no ability to interpret anything that they see.
    3) Would have missed the cycle of one's life where their brain develops the most, where the brain is most prone to retaining knowledge such as math and language.

There's lots of great resources out there, where even less extreme cases of long-term isolation have shown irreversible signs of damage....I seem to recall for example this one girl who was hand-cuffed to her bed for like, the first 10 years of her life....I'm sure it'd be easy to google.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Think of the "twin" as a grotesque looking creature from a horror movie.

It's not human. It was human when they were still developing inside the mother but not anymore.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AssertnFailure
    There's lots of great resources out there, where even less extreme cases of long-term isolation have shown irreversible signs of damage....I seem to recall for example this one girl who was hand-cuffed to her bed for like, the first 10 years of her life....I'm sure it'd be easy to google.
    She was kept in a closet, I think. She was mentioned in a few of my classes last year.

Edit: Never mind, she was locked in her room to her bed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_%28feral_child%29
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Sun, 04-29-2007 at 03:39 PM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/2007042...t-a7ad41d.html

"LONDON (AFP) - A man stormed into a London restaurant and hacked off his own penis in front of horrifed diners, the Italian eaterie said Tuesday."

What...the...fuck....why....

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    What...the...fuck....why....
    Perhaps he heard they were out of Penne??

I can't help myself from laughing at that story, as gruesome as it is.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Mon, 04-30-2007 at 10:43 AM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)

Quote Originally Posted by Q-BeRt
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/2007042...t-a7ad41d.html

"LONDON (AFP) - A man stormed into a London restaurant and hacked off his own penis in front of horrifed diners, the Italian eaterie said Tuesday."

You lot feel disturbed... spare a thought for me, my office is less than 100 metres from this place.

Quote Originally Posted by DB_Hunter
    You lot feel disturbed... spare a thought for me, my office is less than 100 metres from this place.
    Go there some day, and order "a penis steak, but not as extra rare as the other day."

Quote Originally Posted by KitKat
    yeah they debuted something like that at cebit ( or was it gdc...), sounds really cool.
    -----------------

"In the popular action game Grand Theft Auto, players who become nervous or frightened would have worse aim than those who remain relaxed and focused."

lol jack thompson's gonna have a field day with that .

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

Lightbulb Crazy Political Day in the News

Conservative, controversial Sarkozy wins French election
    Christian Science Monitor

Turkish Islamist Presidential Candidate Withdraws Candidacy, faced pressure from military, political gridlock

If you ask me, I say that the fuckin military strong armed this guy into not running... That's some tyrannical bullshit to me...

CNN - Another Bloody Sunday in Iraq

All in all a very bad day, except for NYC sports news

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    Turkish Islamist Presidential Candidate Withdraws Candidacy, faced pressure from military, political gridlock

If you ask me, I say that the fuckin military strong armed this guy into not running... That's some tyrannical bullshit to me...
    Nah. After watching 30 episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes I can safely say that politicians are corrupt to the boot, and the military is filled with good, honest men who only think of what's best for the nation. That's how it must be.

Well, of course living in a Nordic country it's totally strange to consider that whole military issue in a democratic country as over here you hardly ever see anybody from the armed forces giving any kind of public statements (apart from the occasional we need more money comments that invariably fall on deaf ears).

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    may not be as far off as you think. Islamism is, at least to westerners and people not fond of sharia, a bad thing. An islamist (or, ostensibly former-islamist) candidate being pressured to withdraw is ... well, it's better than a moderate candidate being similarly pressured, at least.

I mean ... you'd hope the democratic process would prevail, but it often doesn't.