Page 13 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: In the news today

Comcast FTL

Comcast's service has always been advertised as simply a maximum speed, with no stated limit on bandwidth. However if you're using too much bandwidth they will apparently send you a letter saying so. They don't tell you how much is too much, how to monitor it yourself, or even what things might be causing you to go over their mysterious limit, but if you haven't reduced your usage after a month they disconnect your service (and apparently won't give it back).

I think it's pretty shady to not mention in the Terms of Service that there's a bandwidth cap, and then enforce a bandwidth cap with no information about what it is.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    They've also got really shitty email service.

Not that I use it, but it's bugging the hell out of my mom. The damn thing freezes whenever you try and send attachments.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

and upload speeds.. they really suck too :/

They did have crap service in my opinion, and I would be getting everything i could out of it daily. I remember months where I mysteriously could not get over 300 kb/s download and normal crap 45kb/s upload. Right when that month ended though I would suddenly be downloading at 700-750kb/s again....

Comcast is a load of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by From the link
    To trigger a disconnection warning, customers would be downloading the equivalent of 1,000 songs or four full-length movies every day.
    That really only comes out to a few GB, which I probably download 5-10 of per day.

I feel sorry for all you US peeps, EU internet rox, I download at least 10gb daily, with the occassional 20+gb a day.
    Plus its cheap too ;o
    -----------------

You guys are fortunate. Look at the shit Singaporean anime lovers are going through now. Not the reason I've stopped watching Bleach though.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Yeah. I guess Singapore isn't quite as sunny anymore...

I hope something like that will never happen here. In that sense it's good anime is not a big thing here, at least yet. It's pretty marginal market and garners little interested from anybody.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...&type=politics

Looks like more fundraising scandal...

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...&type=politics

Looks like more fundraising scandal...
    Clinton campaign aides Tuesday refused to release the names of the 260 donors whom Hsu recruited to the campaign, preferring to wait until they finish their own research on the individuals. Clinton and her advisers want to be prepared if some of the donors end up having money funneled to them from Hsu, or have shady backgrounds like his.

The campaign is refunding $850,000 to these donors, viewing the money as tainted. Yet the campaign is also risking another public relations mess by saying that it would take back the money if it clearly comes from the donor's bank account, and not from Hsu or another source.
    This is the most interesting part to me, the part that made me go, "Wait, maybe it's not just her stupid mistake, maybe she really did get caught rolling like a pig in the dirty money. 260 donors could be big, and a nasty shock to her campaign. The fact that the public already knows they're even considering taking potentially tainted money is the real failure of PR in her camp.

So, yeah, I'm still hoping for McCain, personally...

And, more importantly, in environmental news:
    Judge Rules that States to Set Own Auto Emissions
    Autonomy ftw.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Wheel of Time fans, Robert Jordan died yesterday:

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=90

Never read any of that series myself, but I know it was really popular. I feel sorry for everyone who invested in it, only to have the author die on them after he stretched out the story with 7 or 8 novels of filler.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

I don't know what's more funny. The actual story, or that this story was posted by someone called GodsSon:
    http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/1..._he_is_Over_21

Of course, we couldn't do without our daily Vampire story:
    http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/1...Drinking_Blood

Meteorite Crashes in Peru, Causes Sickness Among Villagers

Canadian coverage of the same

shit straight out of a sci-fi movie...
    seriously, quarantine those fucker before they develop a taste for brains...

lol, well, not really... more like, crappy Peruvian pollution + meteor causes sickness...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Russian Military Intelligence Analysts are reporting today that one of the United States most secretive spy satellites, the KH-13, targeting Iran was 'destroyed in its orbit' with its main power generator powered by the radioactive isotope Pu-238 surviving re-entry and crashing in a remote region of the South American Nation of Peru, and where hundreds are reported to be ill from radiation poisoning.

Western media reports are stating that the US spy satellite debris hitting Peru was caused by a meteor, but which, according to these reports, would be 'impossible' as the size of 30-meter crater, if caused by a meteorite, would have hit the ground with about as much energy as 1 kiloton tactical nuclear weapon, and which would have been recorded by the seismic stations around the World.

at first i thought mage was just up to his old tricks... but indeed... the Russian source Pravada has exactly what he's talking about..

Russian Assertation that Peru Sickness Caused by U.S. Military Satelite Crash

the NY Times has also picked up on this... although they present it alongside other strange theories and seem to be quite skeptical (note, the article is quite poorly written)
    In Peru" a Crater and Questions - New York Time
    [url=

pravda is a BS news site, i was just trying to see if i could fool anyone

i find it laughable that nytimes would even mention them.

well, maybe you've already heard but...

Military Junta Continues Crackdown in Myanmar, Targets Buddhist Monastaries in Night Time Raids

if I recall correctly, Myanmar has a great deal of natural gas deposits... perhaps Bushie would like to... oh, wait. What? China would certainly take that as a sign we want to tango in World War III? Well then, you certainly can't expect us to be there.... Besides, Islam isn't involved, nor terrorism, so once again most of the U.S. remains oblivious to this event...

North Korea Disable Nuclear Facilities by 2008

I suppose this is good news... ... if in fact they're not full of shit this time, as they were the last time they signed an agreement to scale down their nuclear programme... Maybe they're content with whatever weapon they produced already? Or maybe they're hoping to just buy the goods from Iran?

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    well, maybe you've already heard but...

Military Junta Continues Crackdown in Myanmar, Targets Buddhist Monastaries in Night Time Raids

if I recall correctly, Myanmar has a great deal of natural gas deposits... perhaps Bushie would like to... oh, wait. What? China would certainly take that as a sign we want to tango in World War III? Well then, you certainly can't expect us to be there.... Besides, Islam isn't involved, nor terrorism, so once again most of the U.S. remains oblivious to this event...
    I knew there were energy deposits in/around Burma/Myanmar, wasn't sure if it was gas or oil.

I think its difficult to say who is doing what in Burma with just this information. I think it is safe to say the US has some role in this new flare up, though I'm not sure what. This is out of acknowledgment of the US being a global power which aims to control world affairs rather than US bashing, in case some of you get the wrong idea. China is another player probably, as is India.

I think Burma is important not just because of its energy reserves, but also its strategic value due to its location. China is currently pursuing a policy known as "The String of Pearls". Basically, around the entire Indian ocean coast from Pakistan in the West to somewhere near Burma in the East, China is building deep sea ports from where its own warships will be able to operate from as well. So if this policy is completed China will be able to project its power in a way like never before, thus not only increasing its own political power but also threatening that of the United States and also the other regional power, India (note obviously India is not where China is building its ports).

North Korea Disable Nuclear Facilities by 2008

I suppose this is good news... ... if in fact they're not full of shit this time, as they were the last time they signed an agreement to scale down their nuclear programme... Maybe they're content with whatever weapon they produced already? Or maybe they're hoping to just buy the goods from Iran?
    My personal opinion currently is that the US is full of shit when it says that it wants N Korea to drop its nuke program. As crazy as it may sound, it actually benefits the US to be seen to have a nutcase in that part of the world. Why? Simply because it justifies a military presence again on China's doorstep. If the two Koreas have peace then there will be no reason for US troops to remain in South Korea, and that would be a strategic loss for the US.

As for the danger to the US from North Korean nukes, I don't think there is a danger of a strike in reality. N Korea is hostile because it is essentialy a cornered animal, which desperatley needs things like oil and food. It is trying to survive, not start a war.

As a side note, the US has agreed to turn over control of their bases here (in Korea) to the Korean military...

Quote Originally Posted by DB_Hunter
    If the two Koreas have peace then there will be no reason for US troops to remain in South Korea, and that would be a strategic loss for the US.
    How would that be a strategic loss for the US? It's not like we would lose our alliance with South Korea the second our troops leave or anything.....
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07