Page 52 of 159 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Brazilian Man Holds Woman Hostage For 10 Hours... With A Sega Light Gun

lol. Now I understand why they made the NES gun red/orange.

Hilarious article. That woman sure knew what to look out for.

Injured good Samaritan ticketed for jaywalking

DENVER – A good Samaritan who helped push three people out of the path of a pickup truck before being struck and injured has gotten a strange reward for his good deed: A jaywalking ticket.
    Seriously? Saving the lives of people is deserving of a ticket for jaywalking? Not to mention that you almost lost your life in doing so! Sheesh, these policemen are so troubling.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    This certainly seems absurd, but there's the question of "would the women have been fine if it wasn't for the bus driver's interference?" I guess the ticket is a bit overkill, but if the cop was watching the entire situation, and saw that the answer to the question was "yes", then I can understand how he'd be annoyed.

Nah, it does annoy me when people put themselves in danger and then expect to be considered a hero afterward. The two guys seem to be responsible for putting the old ladies in danger in the first place.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

3 reasons your workouts aren't working

Your time is valuable, and for each precious moment you put into your workouts, you want to ensure you get the best possible return on your investment. So, are you getting the results you want? If your body isn't as lean or toned as you'd like, it may be that you're committing some key training mistakes, which can sabotage the efforts of even veteran exercisers.
    This article was interesting because of the information it contains about the different errors of exercise and how to correct them or take note for future references. What do you think?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    'Dumb and Dumber' bank robber comes home

Boy, first I've heard of this case. It made me laugh.

So who was this guy? Dumb or Dumber?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Nadouku

This article was interesting because of the information it contains about the different errors of exercise and how to correct them or take note for future references. What do you think?
    Very interesting article. I gave it a try slowing down the workout and I definitely feel like I'm getting more of a workout. The problem is time. I work-out at the office during work and I'm usually pressed for time which is why I normally run through the reps.

Also, it's a mental factor that I feel like I've accomplished something just from completing the full number of reps, even if they were rushed and in poor form and I didn't realize maximum gains from the workout. Just knowing that I completed the routine means something. If I did a slow workout and couldn't complete the routine, it would hurt my confidence and ability to continue working out.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadouku

That article is pure gold, the first four reasons in particular. I've actually noticed that I'm getting in better shape than I was in highschool because of the fact that for any body part I'm working out, I have two different workouts. For example, I have two work outs for my biceps that I alternate. One day I do bicep curls, and the next, chin ups. The P90X guys term this type of thing "muscle confusion". The results really do seem to be everything they're clamoring about. I'm considering adding a third work out for certain muscle groups.

Also, I suggest training your muscles in antagonistic pairs. Staying with the above example, if you do a bicep workout, say chin ups, immediately, without break, you should do some kind of tricep exercise, like push ups with your hands placed close to your torso.

Ani: The end of the article is right. Don't focus so much on the number of reps that you do, so much as doing whatever number of reps you do, correctly. The feeling of satisfaction you mentioned is important, but you can get that another way. Spend a day figuring out how many reps you can do properly (i.e. slowly and with good form), and do 70% of those reps in sets. That gives you a goal to achieve, and achieving it will net you both a sense of satisfaction and a superior work out. The number of reps should turn out less than what you're currently doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    That was sure retarded of them to leave so many evidence for the police. I guess Dumber would suit them both very well.

Card Issuers: How Can We Make You Go Away?

Consumers who carried a big balance and made the bare minimum payment each month used to be a credit-card issuer's dream. Now, they are their worst nightmare.
    Looks like people with a huge balance are being pressured to "zero" it out and preferrably close their accounts. Wonder how this will affect the economy?

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    SMALL ASTEROID NARROWLY MISSES EARTH

A 200-foot wide asteroid zoomed past Earth today at an altitude of 40,000 miles - swerving far enough from our planet to avoid total destruction, officials said.
    whoa, that's just an unexpected story to see.

user posted image

That's interesting, though I doubt a "large nuclear blast somewhere in the Pacific Ocean" would cause total destruction of the planet though >_>.
    -----------------

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    That's interesting, though I doubt a "large nuclear blast somewhere in the Pacific Ocean" would cause total destruction of the planet though >_>.
    It's easy to underestimate the effect of tsunami, but lots of studies suggest otherwise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv_Jh...eature=related

Granted, that video is a little sensational, and the La Palma case probably won't turn out that way, but other studies show that Tsunami can have a greater impact on the environment than you'd probably assume.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Thats nice and all, but a nuclear blast in the pacific still wouldn't trigger a world destroying wave.
    -----------------

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Eh, I'm not saying that article wasn't poorly written. Just that, theoretically, a meteor crashing into the ocean isn't much better than it crashing on dry land.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

A meteor crashing on Earth wouldn't be any bit of better in any way possible. At least the meteor doved to somewhere else, saving us from a shockwave of horror.

The Worst Cars for the Money

No carmaker is perfect. Each has best and worst sellers, hits and misses. And while plenty of cars are generally good values, there are a few that don't make as much sense when you work out the calculations over time. That's where our new list comes in: the Worst Cars for the Money.
    Never thought some of the cars that I took a slight interest in would be critically judged. What do you think about the article?

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Federal Reserve Officials: US Economy not likely to recover until 2010
    Gonna be a long year folks. I know I'm glad I'm holding onto this job I've found.

Ruling Sets Precedent for Law Suits by Individuals Against Medicine Companies over Ill Effects
    This, my friends, is going to be the next big wave of law suits in America. You thought malpractice, injury, discrimination law suits were big? This is going to blow the roof off of those. Dumb Americans take drugs for EVERYTHING, and there are always, always, always some people who suffer ill side-effects. There was even an FDA approved warning label on the medicine about this particular application of the drug!

Overall, I can't help but think that there is something wrong with this...

New Vaginal Gel Stops AIDS Virus in Study
    Note, the "in study" I had to add on to the article title... But, this seems like an actual bit of good news!

Designer Babies on the Way?
    I do believe, whether or not the clinic in this case is full of shit or not, this will be an issue we'll be seeing a lot of in our life time. Allowing people to "shop" for their baby is already a problem adoption agencies have complained about, and this takes it one step further.

Personally, I believe abortion is a good and lawful option to have. If a person does not think they are able to bring up a child, they should not be forced to try to do so, risking both their well-being and the child's. (I also dislike one of the "cases" for giving up kids for adoption, that, if the natural parents can't raise the kid, "let somebody else worry about it"). The practice of pre-screening fertilized embryos for serious diseases and other problems is, I think, in both the best interest of the parent and future child. It's sorta like pre-emptive euthanasia.

But this! This is truly "playing God". Throwing together a bunch of potential life forms and then saying, "Oh, I like this one best, the others can die" is a selfish and disgusting concept that borders on private genetic cleansing, which before we had the term 'ethnic', was what they called race wars. I, for one, am completely against this kind of thing, as I believe it will lead to a value system that is even more warped than our current one.

FOR A PURE AND BLUE WORLD!

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    Federal Reserve Officials: US Economy not likely to recover until 2010
    Gonna be a long year folks. I know I'm glad I'm holding onto this job I've found.
    The Japanese are notorious about taking care of their own at the expense of foreigners in their midst. You should save and be ready to flee the country. To be honest in this time of harsh economic struggle, I think Japan should expel all foreigners and give the jobs to Japanese people.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Wii Fit tells 10 year old she's fat

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    does this mean american kids are more accepting that they're fat asses?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7928353.stm
    Cocaine Cast Man !

better idea than this guy they had on the homeland security show who was trying to smuggle cocaine inside of 4 wooden cabinet doors. He was taking a bus from mexico into the US, and his only luggage was 4 wooden cabinet doors.... filled w\ cocaine.

The Wii is so detrimental to every splastic flail that it's like playing any game on another console but with all the buttons randomly reassigned every now and then. Wii Fit's no exception either, and misjudging a small girl as fat shouldn't be a major problem; of course, that didn't happen.

7 best part-time jobs

The common perception is that part-time jobs have less to offer than full-time positions.

That may be true in terms of hours in the work week, but many part-time jobs pay just as well as a traditional 40-hour week ones and a number of positions come with health insurance coverage, paid vacation days and employee discounts.
    Interesting article about what good part-time job to look for when you're looking for extra cash. Sounds like a good deal to me.