Page 59 of 143 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 3180

Thread: In the news today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Les Paul dies at 94

The guy basically invented modern-day recording methods. He also designed the guitar named after him, and was a pretty great musician as well. I watched a documentary on him some time last year, and he really seemed like a great person. Classy dude.

Les Paul, whose innovations with the electric guitar and studio technology made him one of the most important figures in recorded music, has died, according to a statement from his publicists. Paul was 94.

Paul died in White Plains, New York, from complications of severe pneumonia, according to the statement.

Paul was a guitar and electronics mastermind whose creations -- such as multitrack recording, tape delay and the solid-body guitar that bears his name, the Gibson Les Paul -- helped give rise to modern popular music, including rock 'n' roll. No slouch on the guitar himself, he continued playing at clubs into his 90s despite being hampered by arthritis.

"If you only have two fingers [to work with], you have to think, how will you play that chord?" he told CNN.com in a 2002 phone interview. "So you think of how to replace that chord with several notes, and it gives the illusion of sounding like a chord."

"The world has lost a truly innovative and exceptional human being today. I cannot imagine life without Les Paul," said Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar. "He would walk into a room and put a smile on anyone's face. His musical charm was extraordinary and his techniques unmatched anywhere in the world."
    Clip from aforementioned documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5z1...eature=channel

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

I knew it was a Japanese story as soon as I read your post.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Wow. I like how they place the word valuable between inverted commas. I wonder what I would do if some one throw my stuff away.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    Wow. I like how they place the word valuable between inverted commas. I wonder what I would do if some one throw my stuff away.
    Would you burn your own house down? I'm sure your wife knows how important they are to you, so no concerns there. Unless you piss her off REAL bad.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Would you burn your own house down?
    me: Losing models is bad. There's no point in losing a house with it. I need it more anyways. So "no" is my answer.

However, if someone thought it would be funny to wash my computer in a bathtub for example, expect some broken pieces of valuables[1] belonging to said "someone".

[1] Indicates something that is important to the offender, either monetary or otherwise, but is not or less important to me, and the destruction or damage of which will not cause great hardships to the defendant.

aka I will not burn the house down.

----------------------------------

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    Make sure those figures are away from the prying hands of your little one now. Some of that high quality PVC may just suit her teething needs.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 08-15-2009 at 11:17 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    Mints Believed To Be Crack Land Man In Jail

so dude goes to jail for 3 months for having mints when he got pulled over.

user posted image

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadice
    Mints Believed To Be Crack Land Man In Jail

so dude goes to jail for 3 months for having mints when he got pulled over.

well, he learned his lesson, he won't be pulled over again. because the cops sold his car (what? can they do that?).

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Woman yells "Heil Hitler!" at Jewish supporter of Health Care

Stay classy, America.
    A. I think I recognize this guy, he might be someone semi-famous.
    B. His English is terrible, if not atrocious. doesn't he live in 'the states'?
    C. That woman has a point. Obama's man, who have been in office for the past six months, they are the ones to blame for the faults of the medical community (or whatever it's called). those damn democrats, always clinging to the chairs and never thinking of the people who voted for them. unlike the republicans. who are doing everything they can for the small man.

my my, thank you, mister common sense scientist . you say I shouldn't go off wondering around without a navigator-y aid? what a new idea! what are you going to suggest next? to always carry water with me while traveling in the desert?

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z
    my my, thank you, mister common sense scientist . you say I shouldn't go off wondering around without a navigator-y aid? what a new idea! what are you going to suggest next? to always carry water with me while traveling in the desert?
    Only if you're a wuss. Weren't you in the army for some years? Didn't they teach you how to find your way with moss covered rocks and how to survive in the wild? I guess your army doesn't have the high standards of ours. That's what you get with mandatory service, a bunch of goobers who don't even want to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Only if you're a wuss.
    yes.
    Weren't you in the army for some years?
    Three years, to be exact.
    Didn't they teach you how to find your way with moss covered rocks and how to survive in the wild?
    No. I know some of that stuff, but not from army trainning.
    I guess your army doesn't have the high standards of ours
    Might not, we have some good points though.
    That's what you get with mandatory service, a bunch of goobers who don't even want to be there.
    No shit, Sherlock. Mandatory service is a huge pile of steaming hot shit. and people like me are the better result of it. You do not want to speak to the others.

and on a general matter. what's with the poop slinging?

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

and people like me are the better result of it.
    Your CO would probably disagree.

and on a general matter. what's with the poop slinging?
    Gotta do something with all the poop.

those damn democrats, always clinging to the chairs and never thinking of the people who voted for them. unlike the republicans. who are doing everything they can for the small man.
    I laughed out loud.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    ^lol, i watched that video last night. it's ridiculous...

17 year old Brazilian girl kills 30, and turns herself in
    Last edited by Pandadice; Thu, 08-20-2009 at 01:53 AM.

user posted image

"Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

That squirrel reminds me of the one from Ice Age.

Study: Games are depressing...or are they?

The article isn't exactly entertaining or interesting, but "the average gamer is 35 years old" caught my eye. I was expecting something lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian

The article isn't exactly entertaining or interesting, but "the average gamer is 35 years old" caught my eye. I was expecting something lower.
    That's nothing new really, I've known that for at least 2 years.
    -----------------

That line certainly caught my surprise, as well, but the article itself wasn't that informative of what I don't already know.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Cell phone activates oven

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/147548

Mine's a good old analogue oven. My powerbox is in our garage (main point of entry/exit) in our house, and we have been trained to turn off the stove/oven power there when we leave.

There's this video that's been in the news a lot lately. It's a video from December 1984, that shows a karate student beating down a man in a dojo and possibly killing him while the instructor watches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zQi0aT_o0g

Warning: The video is pretty brutal.

KMPH News video about the case - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw9ai90Fa84
    Last edited by Marik; Tue, 08-25-2009 at 01:05 PM.