Page 1 of 159 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: In the news today

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)

In the news today

I'll admit it, I'm addicted to reading the news. I spend my lunch break every day at work perusing the CBC website to see what interesting things have been happening. A lot of the time, I'll come across articles where I think, "People at gotwoot might find this interesting" but I don't feel like creating a thread just for that one little article.

So, here we shall have a thread for all those news articles that are not quite thread-worthy, but still fun to post and share with each other. This isn't meant to encompass all news topics, since many do have enough discussion around them to merit dedicated threads. For everything else though, the random, silly, and interesting, let's keep each other informed about what's going on in the world!

Today, first up, we have the story of the ghost yacht in Australia. Watch out, Raven and kai! The ghost yacht is coming for you!

Next is an opinion article by a columnist named Heather Mallick whose articles I really enjoy reading. She's quite outspoken and often takes controversial stances, but whatever she writes is always an interesting read. This week, she writes about proposed surveillance cameras in Britain with the capability to broadcast audio messages to people within the camera's view. Her article is entitled, Big Brother Britain: What to do when the voices call your name.

Quote Originally Posted by KitKat
    Today, first up, we have the story of the ghost yacht in Australia. Watch out, Raven and kai! The ghost yacht is coming for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbc original article
    The crew — Australians aged 56, 63 and 69 — had set out Sunday, planning to sail around northern Australia to Western Australia state, according to Sharon Davidson of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
    I bet they were dirty old lechers, and they jumped straight into the sea without a second thought after sighting a group of mermaids.

Haha, the ghost yacht one got to me. Made me look around my shoulder.
    Hope they don't implement talking cameras at school....Really liked the Big Brother article. And I gotta agree the authors awesome.
    Nice Idea KitZ.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    So, here we shall have a thread for all those news articles that are not quite thread-worthy, but still fun to post and share with each other.
    Ugh, how embarrassing. If only this thread existed before I made this topic .

Anyway, I ran into this article this morning. Made me laugh: http://www.southflorida.com/news/sns...,2791677.story
    MANKATO, Minn. -- A jail guard has been suspended after allegedly thumping an inmate with a Bible.

James Lee Sheppard, 56, has been charged with two gross misdemeanors for allegedly swatting a Blue Earth County Jail inmate with the book, grabbing him by the throat and slamming him against steel bars on Feb. 8, according to the criminal complaint.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

OWNED

[21:48] * DO furiously masturbates to #gotwoot

Sheesh, way to make a guy feel edgy, KK. Still, it's closer to Kai so he'll get eaten first. When ghosts decide to start... eating people, that is.

Nice thread, 'twill be put to good use.
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Saskatchewan RCMP ask for public's help in finding stolen young gotwooter
    Published: Monday, April 23, 2007 | 2:27 AM ET
    Canadian Press

LASHBURN, Sask. (CP) - Saskatchewan RCMP are hoping to spot some thieves who made off on the weekend with a rare, wild breed of gotwooter.

The purebred Saber fanboy named Lucifus was being kept in a residential, detached garage in Lashburn, Sask. The thieves made off with him sometime between 6 p.m. on Saturday and 2 a.m. on Sunday. Lucifus, who came from the Czech Republic and was raised by a zoo until he was later purchased by his owners, is a male gotwooter, tan in colour, exhibiting acute withdrawal symptoms if he is not kept in close proximity to a computer with internet access.

He weighs about 12 pounds and is 8.5 months old.

The RCMP said Lucifus walks very low to the ground and will only become defensive if cornered.

One good bit of news for the crooks - his shots are currently up to date and he is vaccinated for anime-borne diseases.

The RCMP is asking the public for any tips they may have. Fansub groups, animators, photoshop developers, irc bots and moderators are also asked to be on the lookout for Lucifus.
    I couldn't resist

Here's the real article.

The banking business must have it tough these days, when even a horse can be a valuable customer.

Quote Originally Posted by CCN
    BERLIN, Germany (AP) -- An early-morning German bank customer had a bit of a shock when he found a horse in line at the automatic teller machine in front of him.

It seems the horse's owner, identified only as Wolfgang H., had a bit too much to drink the night before and decided to sleep it off inside the bank's heated foyer, police said Tuesday.

The 40-year-old machinist told Bild newspaper he had had "a few beers" with a friend in Wiesenburg, southwest of Berlin, and decided to hit the hay in the bank on his way home.

"It was late, it was already dark and cold," he was quoted as saying.

Confronted with the lack of a hitching-post, he brought the 6-year-old horse, named Sammy, in along with him.

When a customer came across the horse and sleeping rider in the bank at 4:15 a.m. Monday, he called police, who then came and woke the owner up and sent him on his way.

No charges were filed, but there might be some cleanup needed: Apparently Sammy made his own after-hours deposit on the carpet.
    -CNN

Thumbs up

Saskatchewan RCMP ask for public's help in finding stolen young gotwooter
    Published: Monday, April 23, 2007 | 2:27 AM ET
    Canadian Press

LASHBURN, Sask. (CP) - Saskatchewan RCMP are hoping to spot some thieves who made off on the weekend with a rare, wild breed of gotwooter.

The purebred Saber fanboy named Lucifus was being kept in a residential, detached garage in Lashburn, Sask. The thieves made off with him sometime between 6 p.m. on Saturday and 2 a.m. on Sunday. Lucifus, who came from the Czech Republic and was raised by a zoo until he was later purchased by his owners, is a male gotwooter, tan in colour, exhibiting acute withdrawal symptoms if he is not kept in close proximity to a computer with internet access.

He weighs about 12 pounds and is 8.5 months old.

The RCMP said Lucifus walks very low to the ground and will only become defensive if cornered.

One good bit of news for the crooks - his shots are currently up to date and he is vaccinated for anime-borne diseases.

The RCMP is asking the public for any tips they may have. Fansub groups, animators, photoshop developers, irc bots and moderators are also asked to be on the lookout for Lucifus.

I couldn't resist

Here's the real article.

Oh my dear god KitKat. xD
    That is the greatest. I read this during class and began cracking up! xD

KitKatZ, your the best!

I've got to find a news article now. xD
    Last edited by Lucifus; Tue, 04-24-2007 at 09:59 AM.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Several noteworthy/interesting things I caught in the headlines this morning:

Democratic Presidential Hopefuls Square Off in Televised Debate Tonight
    I'll be sure to watch this. Each will get only 11 minutes or so, but it's a good chance to learn about some of the longshots (who will still be active in politics even if/when they don't get the nomination) and to see how the actual front-runners conduct themselves.

Scientists discover Earth-like planet
    This makes me cream myself. Astronomy was my first passion outside of sports, and I've always been interested in space exploration, since it looks like we'll fuck Earth to death within the next hundred years or so. This kind of news, although very uncertain and without details, this kind of thing makes me all hopeful and jittery. There are many more articles out there, just search for the name of the planet: Gliese 581 C

36 Year Old Man Had Twin Living Twin Trapped Inside His Stomach
    And this is just freaky fucking weird shit...

edit - sweet! discussion about current events on this board makes me very happy!
    Last edited by masamuneehs; Thu, 04-26-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

The news about the earth like planet is really really awesome, astronomy is one of my big interests too.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    The news about the earth like planet is really really awesome, astronomy is one of my big interests too.
    Yeah, indeed. When I first read about that, I was pretty excited. The article I read also said more should be found promptly.

Well, I just hope, when the time comes, that we will have better mechas than the what ever creatures inhabiting those other planets...

That planet one got was pretty kool. Glad I read it.
    Now...that pregnant guy thing....that was disturbing...

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    OMG! just like on house!!

Scientists discover Earth-like planet
    This makes me cream myself. Astronomy was my first passion outside of sports, and I've always been interested in space exploration, since it looks like we'll fuck Earth to death within the next hundred years or so. This kind of news, although very uncertain and without details, this kind of thing makes me all hopeful and jittery. There are many more articles out there, just search for the name of the planet: Gliese 581 C
    This could be a huge breakthrough. Now, the next step is to put all of mankind's time and resources into developing lightspeed or near-lightspeed travel. Kids should start studying rocket science in kindergarten. Even then, it'll still take 20.5 years to get there unless we get into the sci-fi realm of "warping."

OH MY GOODNESS WHAT THE FUCK

I am at a loss for words... This honestly creeps me out.

Dude... did that thing inside him live after the operation?

Quote Originally Posted by DB_Hunter
    Dude... did that thing inside him live after the operation?
    No.

I thought Bush dancing and MC Rove was great.

If that had happened in America or Europe I wonder if some group would have opposed the inner twins removal as a human rights violation or something.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    If that had happened in America or Europe I wonder if some group would have opposed the inner twins removal as a human rights violation or something.
    i was thinking exactly that. earlier today i was telling this to a friend of mine, and then his friend came over and i tried to explain to them. and the friend asked me, "so, wait, he was like pregnant?" And I said no so she asked, "But if it was alive inside of him all that time, that makes it just like a child, right?"

And I found myself saying this: "No, no... You know, I wonder, I don't think so, no, no it couldn't be human. I mean... It just, it was alive and everything and grew up inside of him; but I don't think it's human. Not quite. I mean, all the parts are there like in a human, but something's missing. I don't think you can call that human."

I mean, it was as old as he, 36 years old. But it could not communicate, it could not interact with the outside world. Literally, that guy's "twin" is what I'd have to call a "sub-human". It's not another animal, but it's not quite human.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".