Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JDrama: Recommended and Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JDrama: Recommended and Discussion

Ok, so since last week I made a complaint about the lack of Jdrama threads, I am taking some initiative to change that right now. The following is a list of the Jdrama/live action which I have enjoyed (basically everything I have seen) and Where to find it (that is right I am going to do most of the work for you). Most J-drama is kept in soft subs format and uses the re-encoded raw. Each episode is usually 44/45/46 minutes to an hour( There are occasions where two hour specials and the like appear). Instead of giving a brief description I will just link it to D-addicts wiki site. They do a much better job then I will ever do. A lot of J-drama is available on You Tube... or Crunchy Roll but unless you pay at crunchy roll, the quality suffers. So, my preferred method is actually downloading it. Due to its lack of popularity/market J-drama is usually never released internationally or subtitled /dubbed.. Anywho, without further ado ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nobuta wo Produce - Nobuta wo Produce
    Download
    Stand Up!! - This series is kind of old so it's is difficult to locate but Should be on Youtube
    Stand up!!
    Nana - This was released in two movies I believe -- I will update this when I ask my friend Ling where she got it
    Kimi wa Petto - This was unbearably hard to hunt down -.- I ended up only being able to get the rmvb through some backwater IRC channel - When I get some more free time this too I will see if I can procure for you folks ^^
    Kimi wa Petto
    Death Note- Live action move parts one and two Were subbed by Sars-Fansubs and mishicorp coop.
    Death Note Part 1
    Death Note Part 2
    Hana Yori Dango S1 and 2 - Great series turned Jdrama -- Stars Matsumoto Jun and other note worthy people.
    Hana Yori Dango
    Both seasons are listen on Sar-fansubs site, unfortunately there is no BATCH file, so I am not sure of the health on the individual files.
    Sars-Fansubs
    Dragon Zakura - I actually just finished watching this last night after much putting off. Great show though.
    Dragon Zakura
    Download
    Gokusen - I was only able to make it through season 1 of this series.. Season two just made me miss season 1. Gokusen
    S1: Sars-Fansubs
    Season 2
    Densha Otoko: Great series from Open till close. Even it you are not a fan of J-drama, I recommend you watch this.Densha Otoko
    Torrent
    EDIT: I forgot Kurosagi
    Kurosagi
    Download page

Haven't seen:
    1 Litre of tears
    1 Litre of Tears
    DL page

-- I am not sure on the health of these releases they may need reseeding

If anyone else has seen something they really enjoyed please feel free to add to my compilation~ If you want to discuss, that is cool too ^^
    Last edited by Hikyuu; Wed, 08-22-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: addition

Some recommendations from me:

Orange Days - young adults try to find their way in the world after college, great cast and story
    My Boss, My Hero - hilarious comedy about a yakuza that has to graduate from high school in order to be the next boss of his group.
    Densha Otoko - agree with Hikyuu, really good series about otaku culture
    Hotelier (Japanese version) - remake of a Korean series based on a Japanese manga. Ueto Aya is a babe
    Attack No.1 - sports drama about girls high school volleyball. Ueto Aya is a babe
    My Little Chef - cute series about a chef with the ability to make people happy through food (Ueto Aya is in a supporting role, but she is a babe)
    Attention Please - basically an advertisement for the airline industry trying to recruit stewardesses. Ueto Aya is a babe
    Tiger and Dragon - a comedy about a yakuza who tries to learn the art of story-telling by retelling classics with real world current events
    1 Litre of Tears - sad story about a young girl and how she deals with a debilitating illness, puts the drama in j-drama
    14 sai no haha - a cute story about a 14 year old who gets pregnant and how it affects everyone around her

Others I've seen:

Anego
    Ace wo Nerae
    Shimokita Sundays (seen the first 4 eps)
    Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003
    Hana Yori Dango
    Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu
    Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
    Taiyo no Uta (movie)
    Honey and Clover (movie)

Other I have but haven't watched:

Dragon Zakura
    Kimi wa Petto
    Nodame Cantabile
    Taiyo no Uta (drama)

If anyone wants links to direct downloads of most of these, pm me.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Do you have the good quality of Kimi Wa Petto I would love it for my Collection.. I was going to put 1 Litre of tears on my list but I couldnt find a torrent for it and I also Have not seen it. I have only heard great things about it.

Yeah, I have both. Check your pm in about 5 minutes.

How do you typically figure what series you want to watch, suggestions from friends, chatter on d-addicts or another forum, or what? I tend to pick series based on chatter on this other forum I haunt, and based on which actresses are starring in the series.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Nagase's an awesome actor, I love most of his roles. MBMH, and Tiger & Dragon was just great and funny, his facial expressions are priceless. Mukodono, and IWGP are two other great series by him.

And don't forget GTO guys.
    Last edited by Zati; Wed, 08-22-2007 at 01:28 PM.

I decide by actors/actresses and Friend recommendations.. If you noticed there is alot of Matsumoto Jun and Yamapi (Yamashita Tomohisa) stuff on my list as I <3 them both XD

Well, if you like them, *cough* like the countless number of fangirls.

Try :

Bambino (Jun)
    Kurosagi (Yama)
    Proposal Daisakusen (Yama)
    Ikebukuro West Gate Park (Yama)

@Zati: definitely agree about Nagase, love his roles in T&D and MBMH. Have you seen Yan Papa? I was thinking of checking it out, but I don't think it's a comedy and I don't know what he'd be like in a serious role. I also like Tsumabuki Satoshi (Orange Days). I seek to emulate either one in order to score with the cute Japanese girls.

I'm completely opposite form Hikyuu about guys like Jun Matsumoto and yamapi. I'll pretty much not even bother watching series with them, especially yamapi. I can't see his appeal to girls, beyond a vague pretty boy quality that annoys me.

I actually am about to try Bambino.. and I FORGOT TO PUT KUROSAGI IN MY LIST ><

I couldn't find active torrents for the last two... or subs I forget which..
    EDIT: Im a fan boy though so it's all good.
    Last edited by Hikyuu; Wed, 08-22-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Lol, I use to be like that too. I just didn't like to watch these pretty boys trying to look good and cool, it pissed me off. But nowadays, I don't mind as much, because some of their series that they star in are pretty good, if you can just get by their pretty boy thing.

I haven't watched Yan Papa, so can't suggest anything there. And believe it or not, I'm still watching Orange Days right now. I just never got to watching it before, even though I had it stored. And it's one of the classic great series out there, so I need to get on that, heh.

I need to get to that point too, because a lot of these guys star in so many shows that I'd normally want to watch if they weren't in it. If they happen to be in a series where I like the female lead, I'll watch it, but there haven't been many of those.

Here are some female actresses I follow:

Ueto Aya
    Ayase Haruka (Sekai no Chuushin de, Tatta Hitotsu no Koi)
    Yamaguchi Sayaka (Anego, Shimokita Sundays, 14 Sai no Haha)
    Sawajiri Erika (1 Litre of Tears, Taiyo no Uta)

I'd like to see more series with Horikita Maki, Toda Erika, Shibasaki Kou, and Uehara Misa.

Yeah, most of these guys star in like every other series, so you probably will encounter one of their series sooner or later.

Yup, you already know that I love Maki-san. I also love Itoh Misaki (my first crush, was dling like all her series before, she's from Densha, but I think you know that already),
    Aragaki Yui, Nagasawa Masami (was most desired, there was this survey or something, like who men would want to marry, and she was #1), and Sawajiri Erika, round up my top five, lol.

Inoue Mao is pretty popular too, I only watched HYD with her in it, though. I need to start her latest series First Kiss soon.

I'm still watching Attention Please with Ueto Aya, like I told you before Dling Attack No.1 still.

I forgot about Itoh Misaki, who was awesome in Densha Otoko like you said and hilarious in T&D. I hear she'll be starring in the live action of Maison Ikkoku but I haven't seen it available anywhere except maybe torrents, which are blocked by my company firewall. I also want to see more of Aragaki Yui, who was great in MBMH and is so damn cute.

I wanted to like Nagasawa Masami, but I couldn't stand her in Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu, so I stopped watching that after 2 episodes. I'll finish it sometime hopefully, as well as Dragon Zakura. I thought she was good in the movie Nada SouSou, but I only saw half of that on an airplane trip. I'm trying to find the non-bt download of Proposal Daisakusen, maybe I'll learn to like her and yamapi in one swoop .

Heh, I never got the chance to watch Sailor Fuku yet, but I know about it. Yeah, I only watched two of Nagasawa's series which was Dragon Zakura, and Proposal Daisakusen. Proposal Daisakusen is pretty popular, there was lots of discussions about it.

Ito Misaki is also currently starring in Yama Onna Kabe Onna. And yes, there was a Maison Ikkoku SP that was released by SARS already. It was only a Special though, I think.

By the way, how about KDramas? There are some nice ones out there too. I am only watching one currently, which is Coffee Prince (one of the hottest, and popular Asian dramas right now). Full House, and My Girl are the two other KDramas I've watched.
    Last edited by Zati; Wed, 08-22-2007 at 03:31 PM.

I think the real question is does he play a scumbag well...

I've never seen Kou Kou Kyoshi 2003, so dunno anything about that.

Oh yeah, Abe Hiroshi is another great actor, IMO, just like Nagase. He's been in a lot of great series, like Trick 1-3, Dragon Zakura, My Little Chef, At Home Dad, Hero, and Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (I loved it, was hilarious). Sorimachi Takashi is another one too, he did a great job as Onizuka.

Kimura Takuya is also another one of these guys (like Yamapi) that lots of fangirls like, because he's in all these romance series. Most of his series gets high ratings.
    Last edited by Zati; Thu, 08-23-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Bah >< I have so much stuff tooo wwaaaatchchchch I really need to make a formal list so nothing jumps

Great Teacher Onizuka
    A great JDrama based off of a hard core dude getting a job teaching a bunch of gangsters who basically want to kill him. WTF why does that sound like Lean on Me? Oh well, It's a great series and I pretty much watched it all in one sitting.

The Imperial Household
    This is actually a KDrama. It's very unlike most KDrama in that it's not all sappy and tear jerky. It's about some random commoner who has to marry a prince, who is in love with someone else. I didn't really watch the last few eps, but DEFINITELY worth the watch. (Very original, humorous, funny)

Autumn Tale

Another KDrama. A total sappy tearjerker, but something that draws you in with all it's twists and turns in the plot. It's about some girl who got swapped in birth, and has to go live in a worser place with harsh conditions.

It started with a Kiss

Canto Drama. CDrama. A funny show about a chick who falls in love with a genius and finally confesses it... only to be turned down and become the laughing stock of the whole school. ohshi-!

Nana was amazing, I've seen the first movie. Sort of sucks that they replaced Hachi for the sequel though. I've seen 3 eps of Densha, which was only cool because it had Oguri Shun, who is ultra hawt and also in HYD. I loved HYD, but didn't have the chance to watch the last 2 eps of the second season. The girl (Tskushi/Inoue?) from HYD was also in the live action Grave of the Fireflies, but I think the animated version was better.

I DEFINATELY want to see the Nodame live action, since the anime was simply a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Fri, 08-24-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Good lord, people on here really, REALLY don't watch JDrama here, huh?

Just finished Kazoku Game, which was pretty awesome, though I felt a little sick from it when I woke up in the morning.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Good lord, people on here really, REALLY don't watch JDrama here, huh?
    Well...that's because k-dramas are better.