Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Problem...

2003. That's way too old now. It doesn't even have dual DVI!

actually it's from 1999 if you read the bottom left, some douchebag just updated the names of the cores in 2003 apparantly.

So i recently uninstalled vista and switched to xp (crysis ran a whole lot better in xp). The only problem im having is that after i start the computer after 1-4 hours an error report appears. After i press "Dont Send" my sound disappear the user interface goes to windows 2000 design and internet stops working after a little while.

Been searching all over the web for an solution, found some with the same problem but were unable to find a way to solve it.

What the error looks like:

Any suggestions?

I don't really have any suggestions but I used to have that same problem, I wouldn't recommend what I used to do to work around it, so I'll see if anyone gives us an answer. anyway I plan on switching back to Linux in the near future.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Yeah i'll be dual booting linux on this comp in the near future, a lot of fun to play around with. But im keeping xp in order to be able to play the newest games

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    I'm trying to get this lap top up and running that my boss brought to me today...

It is a Dell Inspiron 9400 w\ an Nvidia Go 7900 GS... It will boot into safe mode, and if I uninstall the Display drivers then it will boot but it then proceeds to automatically install the nvidia and then the screen cuts out.

There was a driver release 12-9-07 and that may be where it stopped working... but i tried an older driver and it still does the same thing, has the windows XP boot screen and then when it should be loading up a desktop there is a power cut out / fan cut out and the screen remains black...

a while ago i thought maybe it was just hot but now i'm really not sure. Help !

use some dell driver.
    -----------------

ran more tests and then tried out a dell diagnostics cd which showed errors reading and writing to the video memory... we're guessing the video card is fried (Go 7900 GS) so maybe this coming week I will be taking this baby apart and replacing it... idk

Meanwhile I've been buse buying my ass off on computerparts (christmas coming up and all).
    Crashed the 3200+, think it was the PSU again, although it was a new Coolermaster 480W. It still works but slowly, even the bios boot. Prolly fried the mobo (MSI K7N82-Delta) but bought a new one (Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe) and a new PSU, dunno the brand name anymore but it was highly recommended everywhere I checked and I got the 500W one. Also bought a new cooler to keep the the CPU temp lower then 60 Celsius. Got me the Thermaltake Big Typhoon... too big actually, won't fit into my case, even worse, hardly on the mobo... I bought a friend of mine a new case. Think I'm gonna use that one, and lend him the one I got till he get's himself a new one.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

ok, i just got my first apartment and of course the first thing on my list was internet service... i dont really want dsl so i went w\ time warner cable 5.0Mbps yada yada 29.99/month for the first 6 months. it was the best i could find so i went with that instead of dsl..

I'm just wondering if they have something set up to throttle my connction.

I run speed test @ speedtest.net and comes back @ 5800 down 450 up which is actually a little faster than my verizon FIOS i had at my parents house (5800d 250 up)

But when i'm dl'ing something w\ Utorrent it doesn't want to go past 60kbps which is weak.

Roadrunner got bought out by Comcast, who has been in the news recently for bandwidth throttling of certain traffic, namely bittorrent. There's a public outcry against this practice, and some people are even suing Comcast, but we'll see what happens.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Ouch! So they're gonna play it like that huh? I guess we need to do our homework better. Will they also do this with newsgroups?

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Technically they can do it to whatever form of traffic they deem hogs bandwidth. They could do it to SMTP, HTTP, pretty much whatever they feel like. It's called traffic shaping, and unfortunately I don't see how the courts can stop them from doing it, except to make them advertise that they do it, as a disclosure to potential customers. It's like any service you pay for: if you don't like their service, find someone else. The problem is, in a lot of areas, Comcast is the only choice you really have.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

ok... picked up a seagate TB hard drive... put it in my system and its showing up as 32mb....

any ideas? Im about to see if there is a bios option for me but idk.

**Nm... there was a bios setting that i switched from "auto" to "large access " or something like that.. .reboot and bam its there.**
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Sun, 01-20-2008 at 12:42 AM.

I wonder about the sagacity of using a TB drive. If it craps out, that's a lot of data to lose. I'd prefer two 500GB drives, or possibly three 320GB drives.

you're right about that, would suck to lose that much data if the hard drive dies.
    (crosses fingers)

I had 2 250's and a 200, i got one of the 250's emptied last night and pulled it out, going to do the same w\ the other 250 and leave the 200 in since its set up as my boot drive for now.

When you have that much data, you need RAID5.

But then you have to get a standalone RAID controller card, and those aren't cheap.

Some motherboards will have onboard RAID5-capable controllers. ICH9R supports RAID5.

Performance is another story though. You'll need a dedicated RAID card if you actually want good performance.