Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Problem...

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    SSL stuff
    Well, that depends.

Typically, an SSL proxy isn't really a proxy so much as a little firewall that passes your encrypted packets forward. This is the normal case, and unless you see something about a bad certificate, you will be okay.

It is possible to build a machine that decrypts the connection, actually scans and caches the content, and re-encrypts the connection using its own certificate (taking the place of the attacker in a "man in the middle attack" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack). In that case, the certificate will be wrong somehow.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfoxman
    I have a problem with the users because they show in the MySqL database but not in the administrator.
    Also when I log with a login/password of a user into the frontend site I get this Error message: E_NOLOGIN_ACCESS
    Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? or any possible solution?
    Thanks in advanced
    Your site isn't using the right mysql user when it opens its database connections. Either because the user doesn't exist, or just doesn't have permission.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Did anyone else recently got video-card induced BSOD problems on their XP-32bit machine? I've got a feeling a recent windows-update installation caused it.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    i had problems a couple of weeks ago but i'm running windows 7 x64. I uninstalled the video card driver and reinstalled the new one and that fixed it.

PC Problem

Hey there... So you probably havent noticed, but I havent been able to access the site for many weeks now. Ive FINALLY just used a proxy to get on, but other than that, Firefox or IE wont load the site. Any idea what the problem would be? Ive wiped the temp files, but still no access. I just get a "cant load/display site" error...

Help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by poopdeville
    Well, that depends.

Typically, an SSL proxy isn't really a proxy so much as a little firewall that passes your encrypted packets forward. This is the normal case, and unless you see something about a bad certificate, you will be okay.

It is possible to build a machine that decrypts the connection, actually scans and caches the content, and re-encrypts the connection using its own certificate (taking the place of the attacker in a "man in the middle attack" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack). In that case, the certificate will be wrong somehow.
    It does depend, and that's what makes web proxies' security less-than-clear to me. For my uni connection for example, it does through their proxy too. But as it doesn't modify my URL in my address bar, I can connect to gmail.com directly. My browser requests https://www.gmail.com, and it receives the certificate for gmail.com without a problem. The website and the certificate match.

With web proxies, you type into their webpage, and typically your address bark becomes a mess starting with the domain of the proxy.

eg https://sslproxy.org/?request=google.com&123u5890489032 ------ or something like that.

The site itself is SSL encrypted already, and it asks you to accept the certificate when you first connected, if there was a problem with it (out of date perhaps). Then you continue to go to your site via their webpage, but your url isn't that of the requested site, but of the proxy site. When you get your certificate, it could be identifying gmail.com or sslproxy.org. The second case would mean that reading of information could be possible.

--------------------------

MAIN PROBLEM

I've recently just moved a computer from the bottom of the desk up to the top. When I booted it, it would freeze during the Windows XP loading screen, with the bar freezing. This freezing is inconsistent, so sometimes it'll boot successfully, and sometimes it wouldn't.

Safe mode also suffers from this inconsistency, freezing sometimes when it's trying to load something.

I've performed memtest and it's given me 5 passes with no problems.

Next thing I've done is to unplug HDD2 and only use the master HDD for testing. Using the original sata cable for HDD1, repeated booting/restart/reset got me 13 boots : 3 failures. Swapping that out for sata cable #2 (the one that was used to connect HDD2 up), I got 28 boots : 2 failures. (the 2 failures happened at trial #28 and #29)

One other problem I've been having is that the screen blacks out on you after a while. I've swapped the graphics card and it hasn't happened since.

Right now, we can rule out gfx card as the source of error. As for the sata cables, they're either not the problem, or both are damaged. RAM is good. The next likeliest thing is the HDD itself or the mobo.

Guys got anything you want to add?

Make sure the backside of the mobo, or any other things, aren't touching the metal parts of the case. Also make sure any cards, cables, or other connectors didn't become loose when you moved the system. That happens and results in inconsistent problems. Remove dust just to be sure. Maybe you got a conductive dust particle into a wrong place.

I've gotten the mobo grounding suggestion a few times. I want to ask though, when that happens, does it specifically screw up the boot during the WinXP logo? or does it screw up anywhere? Because despite all that, this is one consistent factor.

Nah, if your system always halts at that one point of loading XP, regardless of if it's the 10th reboot or turning on a cold computer, then it's certainly not a grounding issue. I suppose it could theoretically be windows loading the drivers of a broken peripheral but I very much doubt that. Sounds more like corrupted HD data.

The grounding issue could create consistency only by thermal expansion, I reckon.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I would try to get a new sata cable, the one with the secure clip that clicks.
    It applies a little more pressure on the contacts and can save a drive...

My current drive, an old seagate, has the plastic supporting the contacts that is partly broken.
    It caused the same troubles you are experiencing.

By using one of the cables I mentionned, the contacts are well placed and don't move at all, and this box has been stable like that for more than a year now, until I can purchase a reliable and affordable SSD.

Also, when plugging and unplugging drives, be ultra gentle with connections.
    Be ultra gentle with SATA cables too, as you can pull on the connectors.
    For some reason, those connectors have been designed with a very low manpulation number in mind (something like 50 connect/disconnect)... eventhough you have now hotswappable options which is in contradiction with low connect/disconnect.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

hmm, well I'll give that extra secure cable a go. i've never seen one before though, so I'll have to hunt for one.

edit: wait...with clips...you mean like this?

In that case, I have SATA cables like that already. In fact, all my SATA cables are like that, and you can't unplug it without pressing/unlocking the clip. Because of that, I thought all SATA cables comes like that, and thought you were referring to something even more secure, until I saw some clipless versions on the internet.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 01-16-2010 at 10:05 AM.

If multiple normal cables all seem to be giving you problems, it might be a broken connector already, though. A thing as simple as a cable isn't too likely to be flawed. If you tried two sata channels (connectors) on the mobo side, then it could be the HD's connector. If you can, it might be worth it to test the HD with an external HD chassis. Let's hope there's nothing wrong with your southbridge chip, at least.

Yeah, I'll be testing the HDD next by swapping it with one from another computer and doing multiple boots with it.

Something else was funny too. Before, this computer also had a problem with the screen blacking out (it would do it sometime after memtest starts for example). I was pretty sure it was a video card problem. I swaped the ATI card with an Nvidia one from another comp, and it worked fine. But when yesterday I decided to confirm by running memtest on the second PC with the ATI card, that one also worked fine after 8+ hrs of memtesting.

Damn you inconsistent problems!

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    yes I was referring to those clips.
    As for my experience, all my cables were clip-less and the last ones I bought came with clips and saved my now system drive.

as Kraco said, it could come from the drive side, but I've already seen cables with connectors that were flawed after some connection/disconnection.
    If you've got other ones, from another config, just be gentle with them and try them.

then there's the mobo firmware update, although I highly doubt it comes from there.
    I also very much doubt you'd have to increase the HDD delay for the boot, because all recent drives should already be ready to launch the OS right after post.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Well, to update, I've connected a HDD from my (working) computer into the broken one, and I still get boot problems (with the broken PC's SATA cable). Then I tried again with the cable from the working PC, and I got the same results.

Bring the "broken" HDD over to my PC, and it boots fine (so far). I haven't had time to test it out extensively yet (24 successes so far, but in one of my previous tests, failures didn't start till ~28).

I'll see about the grounding issue, but since it's mounted using pegs, I'm having my doubts on whether that's the issue. (I think there may be extra (metal) pegs from my old installation that may be a possible path for grounding, so I'll see to that.

It definitely seems to be a motherboard issue (either that or the PSU/CPU), and bad thing is, I don't think I can find the invoice for it.

Update: Issue Resolved

-found the invoice for the old "faulty" gigabyte motherboard. Will return it soon to warranty.

-Since it takes so damn long for things to come back to warranty, I bought a DDR2 MSI board for ~$70. It's not as good as the one it's replacing, but it should hang in there for a 2 or 3 years. It'll probably get upgraded again by then anyway.

After the replacement board I haven't had the boot-freezing issue yet (we've done 75+ successive reboots to date), so I'm fairly confident the problem's gone. I don't care enough to put the gigabyte board back in to replicate the problem, so I guess I can't be certain as to whether physically reinstalling the board would have also solved the problem. It's using pegs though, and as far as I know, that all but rules out grounding problems.

Also sent back the ATI 4850HD to warranty as well, since it very irregularly (but surely) gives black screens randomly.

At this point, it seems like all known issues have been resolved, and I can finally resume migrating to Win 7 on my own computer.

Thanks to those who spent some thought on the issue.

Heya! I have a laptop problem. It shuts down after a while of playing music or having to many flash videos opened in tabs (IE). I think it has something to do with the processor being overheated, cause everytime I play songs the fan increases speed. I customized hardware when I just got it. I replaced it's processor to a slightly faster one and added an extra gig of memory. That's about 2 years ago and in the first year it worked flawless. Any thoughts anyone?

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Try running Coretemp (or any other CPU monitor temp monitor really).

Use that to verify whether the CPU really does run extremely hot before it shuts down.

-------------------------

Ran into a little problem of my own after I installed Win7.

1) Wireless connection: card drivers are all up to date, but it can't detect a wireless network. SSID broadcasting is off.

2) Wired connection works fine, but after 20hrs of (router/modem) updown, the router will freeze (no internet access, does not respond to ping commands). <- I'm still troubleshooting this by testing various settings / disconnecting various things. Progress is slow since I can only see the effects of 1 setting per day.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Fri, 02-05-2010 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killa-Eyez
    That's about 2 years ago and in the first year it worked flawless. Any thoughts anyone?
    Years ago when I had a laptop, the CPU socket cracked at some point and it froze the computer quite randomly but invariably after the CPU had warmed up enough. It was still under warranty, though, which was lucky for me. In any case even the repair shop had really tough time locating the problem, even returning the computer once to me with the dull "there was no problems" statement. The second time through they finally witnessed it and fixed the issue.

Well, I just typed this hoping it won't be the case for you.

Tried Coretemp: http://i48.tinypic.com/ngtyt4.jpg.
    Stopped playing music cause I didn't want to risk rebooting without making a printscreen.
    Seems it will gradually get higher the longer I play music or multiple youtube videos or use anything that takes a lot of processing. So I guess I found the problem but how to solve it?

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.