Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Problem...

Exclamation PC Problem...

I've got an old PC from around, uuhm let's say now, 2001?
    It's a 1 Ghz AMD Athlon system with an A-bit KT7A mobo.
    It has 3 modules of 256 MB Ram in it and an ATI Radeon 7000 VGA.
    Also containing a Creative Soundblaster 16 bit sound card, a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI ethernetcard, a Maxtor HD of 40 GB and 1 of 300 GB.

So here's the deal.
    I push the power button, the power led burns, the hd led stays out, nothing happens.
    After a couple of minutes I press the reset button and it reboots with both the power and hd led burning only making a cracking noise, kinda like those old harddrives do.
    In the beginning of the boot, the cracking starts real loud and rapid.
    After a couple of minutes the tempo slows down, and eventually it'll boot showing the Microsoft logo (WinXP MCE) and then make a crack noise and reboot again. This will go on for about an half hour before the system somehow stabilizes ( ) and stays on for a unkown amount of time before it repeats (hoping it doesn't happen while writing this). It also tends to stay on functioning properly for days and only display the problem when I start watching a video.

I thought it is was the harddrive at first but after disconnecting both drives it'd still make the noise. I later found out it was the pc speaker (internal) making the noise, thus concluding (with my usually sufficient knowledge) it's probably an electronical problem.
    Now I don't know this, and also doubt if anybody else even heard of such a problem, but please believe when I say it exists, as it's rooting deeper and deeper into my frustration. Knowing a lot of the Gotwoot members know a lot about problems in this area, I humbly await those opinions on this matter as to point out some of the possible causes. Thank you in advance.

I've tried to include as much info possible in this 1st post, but please do not hesitate to ask any.

(PS: My 50th post! Genin! )
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Wed, 11-17-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

hmm, well the first clue would be the pc speaker then, got some sort of manual that describes what the speaker signal errors are?
    -----------------

Do have that somewhere, buried.
    But speaker signals usually have a beeping sound, don't they?
    And do you mean signal errors or error signals? Cause I doubt there'd be any info about speaker signal errors...
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Wed, 08-22-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.

yeah, but i was hoping on that 1% chance that the manual would describe it ;o
    cause i really can't think of anything, i think something simply broke.

Sorry this is the first time ive heard of this, can't help you much.
    -----------------

Yeah, found the online manual, and it had nothing.
    Thanks for your help though.
    Since it is a old mobo it could be that the voltages aren't regulated properly.
    Seeing as the GPU obviously uses more when displaying a movie or some sort of game then just the usual, it could be some other component(s) is/are not getting the right amount causing system instability and eventually rebooting. Or something like this.
    Don't know if it's possible, just guessing, but it's been on my mind for a while...

this is probably going to sound stupid, but have you tried taking a can of compressed air to it?

Aaahhhhmm, no? Why?

to blow out the dust in it? maybe your computer is just dusty. just a suggestion.

Used a 2000W vacuum cleaner the other day, dunno if that counts. But if ya really think it could help, I'll try...

well, you never know. i work at staples and the first thing our tech guys do when someone brings in a computer that's having problems is dust it out. sometimes it helps

Darn it, the thang just rebooted again!
    But yeah, I'll try that. Any idea where to get a can of air spray?

...You took... a vacuum... to the computer. No offense here but what kind of moron are you? Seriously. You do NOT take a vacuum to your computer... EVER! >.<;;;;;;

Go to Wal-Mart... a computer store... anywhere and ask where the cans of compressed air are... And gently spray things clean. Then give things a try. It sort of sounds to me like you've got faulty RAM somehow but I'm not sure unless I'm actually dealing with the machine at hand.

*Twitches* A vacuum...
    ~The imprint is always there... Nothing is ever really forgotten...~
    ~Seduce my mind, and you can have my body
    Find my soul, and I'll be yours forever...~
    ~Signature made by Deadfire~

Yeah the vacuum effect creates static and that's bad for PCs. I once vacuumed out my PC with a standard house vacuum and saw sparks and then afterward the system wouldn't boot up. Replaced the motherboard and it worked fine after that. If you're going to use a vacuum, get one that's made for PC repair work, but the compressed air is still the best solution.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

So no vacuums allowed, huh... OOPS!
    'Kay, I'll try the compressed air thing, a friend of mine just confirmed they are available @ a near by store, so... I'll let you guys know how it goes...

@Iridani: Take it to the flaming pit if you want to talk like that
    No offense...

What I still can't figure out is why compressed air bottles are twice or thrice as expensive as bottles filled with propane/butane...

Must be the bloody shops around here mercilessly ripping off stupid customers.

It's more expensive because ethane derivatives (the gases in compressed air) are harder to contain and package than propane and butane. Also, they're harder to produce than pure propane/butane.

The cheapest I've bought compressed air for is 3 big cans for $10. Each can lasts quite a while if you use it properly (spray it in short bursts). So far I've only used up one can.

But if not used properly, you can have hours of fun of messing with your roommates. Everything from freezing the surface or water in a glass so they can't drink it.. to minor burns from the frosty propellant that comes out if you turn the can upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    It's more expensive because ethane derivatives (the gases in compressed air) are harder to contain and package than propane and butane. Also, they're harder to produce than pure propane/butane.

The cheapest I've bought compressed air for is 3 big cans for $10. Each can lasts quite a while if you use it properly (spray it in short bursts). So far I've only used up one can.
    Oh. Thanks for the information. I didn't know there were such complications. But still, the cheapest I've seen around here is about 10$ for a single can! Those propane/butane cans sell for 3 for 10 euros. I seriously don't want to pay 10 bloody euros for one can of air. That's why I'm thinking they are total rip-offs here.

Well, I don't want to derail the thread any more with my whining...

Quote Originally Posted by Killa-Eyez
    @Iridani: Take it to the flaming pit if you want to talk like that
    No offense...
    None taken... but no more taking the vacuum to your computer please unless you want to fry everything... or I'll be forced to bring in the big spork of doomy doom. No offense.
    ~The imprint is always there... Nothing is ever really forgotten...~
    ~Seduce my mind, and you can have my body
    Find my soul, and I'll be yours forever...~
    ~Signature made by Deadfire~

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Oh. Thanks for the information. I didn't know there were such complications. But still, the cheapest I've seen around here is about 10$ for a single can! Those propane/butane cans sell for 3 for 10 euros. I seriously don't want to pay 10 bloody euros for one can of air. That's why I'm thinking they are total rip-offs here.

Well, I don't want to derail the thread any more with my whining...
    To pick up the whining, over here they're € 8,99 too...
    I am gonna buy it though, cause I want this thing working properly again...

Couple of days a go my pc just wouldn't stabilize, it kept on rebooting.
    So yesterday I started a sort of cleaning with a tooth brush, brushing all kinds of dust away. I even opened up the old psu I got, damn that thing has a lot of dust...
    Now it's back to it's old habits (only rebooting after a amount of time and rebooting when watching video files). I'm gonna check my bank account to see if I already have my salary to buy the can with air.
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Tue, 08-28-2007 at 06:44 AM.