Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    I assume you've been watching Bleach and Naruto now that they're out of those horrible fillers...

best show on right now: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Death Note is also pretty damn good if you enjoy mystery, cat/mouse dramas. Not alot of action but a good amount of WTF-craziness to be had. And, if you like Death Note at all, I highly recommend Monster, the best mystery/crime anime I've ever seen.

I also suppose you've seen Black Lagoon (both seasons) and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, both excellent shows from 2006. Black Lagoon is straight up gangster awesomeness, Haruhi is a comedy, but it's zany and full of insanity that will certainly make you put some extra BBQ on your WTFs.

also a sci-fi/mecha mind-bender from last season: Zegapain

I'd also recommend Eureka SeveN: Psalm of Planets, but while that's a great show, It's not a show that you watch for shock effect, more for enjoying carefully crafted cinematography and awesome characters.

some classics, if you've never seen them, include: Hellsing, Gungrave, Berserk and Fist of the North Star.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Help everyone find a new anime series to watch!

Ive been reading gotwoot forums for the past few yaers but never joined I dont know why, I currently watch Naruto, One Piece, Bleach.

Ok So, my girlfriend who will definately not watch anime has agreed to give a series a test episode run to see if she likes it, oine episode she says and if she doesnt like it she wont watch it no more.

Im 20year Male and shes 17Years Old

What would be something she would fall inlove with after the first episode, cant be kiddish but has to be more on the mature end, not really an action series either and no hentai?

Hmm...

I'd say Mushishi. But I'm sure they're better choices out there.

Is this the right Section?
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

I just read about it and it seems alittle childish.. anything else anyone else recoomends open to opinions!

This should be in off-topic. And just forget your girlfriend liking anime. No good anime has 1 really good all encompassing episode. She has to agree to watch an arc at least, not just one episode. You can try a movie. Akira or Ghost in the Shell if she likes Sci-Fi or liked the Matrix. She can watch those dubbed if she hates reading subtitles. Kiki's Delivery Service if she likes fantasy.

How about Death Note? Seems to fit your general description pretty well.

One bit of advice, though, don't stretch yourself too thin searching for the "one" anime; you're taking a gamble, regardless.

KIMOCHI~II

Planet ES

AniDB info

noone really talks about it but everyone(who watched: liked it).

"Life is hilariously cruel" by Bender

Any Ghibli movie could be a good choice. While they are anime, at least over here they are vastly more popular and well known (among all the population) than any other form of anime made, having been in theaters and having very good dvd sales. And of course they are top-notch quality.

I'd be careful with animes like Death Note, unless you know for sure she likes live action series similar to that. People who have watched lots of anime instantly like it, but for somebody who has never seen any it might look strange and ominous. But who knows...

You should also consider good comedy series, if she likes comedy. They are vastly different compared to Western / American comedy in general, and thus insanely refreshing.

Gankutsuou. I think it is a waste to show this series to an anime newb because they probably won't be able to appreciate it as much, but it should do the trick. I agree that she must watch more than one episode, though. Why won't she watch anime?

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...anime&aid=1868
    http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=565

Kanon 2006
    Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
    Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
    Code Geass

Those series have hooking first episodes for diverse reasons.

Azumanga Daioh if she's out for comedy...
    Trigun or Berserk if action her thing..
    Wolf's rain can be nice as well...
    for drama, why not kimi no nouzmo eien? if i enjoyed it, i bet she will too.

I always make everyone watch elfen lied, but that's just me. lol. if she likes mystery/drama, watch perfect blue. that movie so rocks.

Hard to say... maybe one of these might be of interest:

Monster
    Hataraki Man
    Nodame Cantabile
    NANA
    Red Garden
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Serial Experiment Lain
    Paradise Kiss
    Gunslinger Girl
    Honey & Clover
    Someday's Dreamers
    Suzuka

Oh, and Suzumiya didn't have a hooking first episode... in fact, it was a real turnoff to most people.

Missing Nin
    An anime that will get a girl hooked after episode 1. Well I know of one anime that I hated but every girl who I know thats seen it has loved it so my suggestion is Ayashi no Ceres aka Ceres Celestrial Legend.

Perfect Blue is a good example of Anime doing things that would costs millions in CGI effects if it were live action. There's a anime movie coming to U.S. theatres about a machine that looks into peoples' dreams. I'd go check that out with her. It's getting good reviews for showing anime to be an artform of expression and imagination that could not otherwise be done without MILLIONS of dollars in CGI, not silly cartoons, to Americans. I forgot the title sadly.

I'd vote against Princess Mononoke. Too many weird strange things and the story is horribly slow. I fell asleep 3 times trying to watch it. Took tons of coffee to stay awake. It would scare away most anime noobs I think.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear but if she's gave you that schtick about only 1 episode and no more then she most likely has no intention of liking anything you show her. She'll be against it from the outset and thus will notice every flaws or faults with any episode you come up with. Your best bet would probably be to show her something with a first episode that's extremely gripping and makes you want to know what happens. However I'd stay away from anything too out there.

Death Note might be a good choice, all the girls in my college's anime club latched on to it pretty strongly, probably b/c they the main character is so sexy.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Thu, 03-29-2007 at 09:31 PM.

I stopped Ayashi no Ceres after five or six eps, so I'd vote no on that. I'd also agree Princess Mononoke might be a bit harsh. Mushishi is very good, but can seem slow to some people.

Instead get Spirited Away. Classic story about a girl trying to save her parents from an evil witch, but very well done with creative animation. Won a bunch of awards too.

If you must go for a series, well, it depends on what she likes. I liked Ghost in the Shell (sci-fi, more adult/complex themes) or Kare Kano for a good romantic comedy or Paranoia Agent for sheer weirdness.

I'd say go with trigun. Its a nice light comedy, with a bit of action. And lets face it, vash is a loveable character. Its also the only one i can think of where 1 ep is enough to get you hooked.

It mite help if you knew her tastes.....or if she knew her tastes. She could watch a really good anime and not like it cuz it doesn't appeal to her specific tastes.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    I'm usually fairly cautious about which animes I introduce to my friends who have never watched any before, because it can be weird and intimidating if you're not accustomed to it. One series that has worked really well as a first anime for a couple of my female friends is Scrapped Princess (although one said she spent a lot of the series being confused....she still loved it). If she likes drama, definitely go with Monster. A lot of people that are skeptical of anime are surprised by its lack of supernatural elements and giant robots, and then quickly become hooked on the story.