Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mae
    If you must go for a series, well, it depends on what she likes. I liked Ghost in the Shell (sci-fi, more adult/complex themes) or Kare Kano for a good romantic comedy or Paranoia Agent for sheer weirdness.
    Good God. Those are the exact same 3 series I was going to suggest after I read the first post. How eerie.

Ghost in the Shell and Paranoia Agent are akin to American live-action thrillers (one a cop show, the other a psychological whodunnit), so she'll be able to enjoy it without being "into anime". They're stylistically similar to any drama you'd find on American TV, in my opinion.

Kare Kano is a godly shoujo series (and actually my favorite anime series ever). It's got a great mix of comedy and drama, so it might be enjoyable to a teenage girl. The first episode isn't too heavy on Japanese cultural references or the viewer's knowledge of anime cliches, so it's a good gamble to start with that.

You can also never go wrong with Bebop. It requires little knowledge of Japanese culture, and is pretty realistic. That is to say, it's not too "out there" for a Sci-Fi series. It's perfect for anyone just starting to watch anime. Like others have suggested, any anime with emphasis on story instead of weird gimmicks would be great choice. I've only seen one episode of Monster, and I agree it seems OK.

Stay away from series with obscure Japanese cultural references like Azumanga Daioh (however funny it might be, I had to read a fuckton of info before I understood even half of the jokes). Those will bore her out of her mind. Stay away from anything an over-the-top Otaku would watch (laden with anime in-jokes or anything that would require an open mind to watch - Excel Saga, any Mecha series, Haruhi Suzumiya, any Magical Girl series, or any "Harem" series like Sister Princess, Love Hina, Tenchi, Maho Sensei Negima, etc) Also stay away from stuff that might freak her the fuck out, like Perfect Blue or Evangelion.

Good luck. I'm actually interested in what you end up picking.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Fri, 03-30-2007 at 01:13 AM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

I read her the plot outline for Death Note she thought it was interesting , and I will be showing her the first episode tonite. Thanks for all of your inoputs gotwoot community rocks!

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i'm glad you came to a resolution...

but this thread is quite repetitive, seeing as how there's a Stickied thread for exactly this kind of thing. I'm merging this thread with that one and suggest you read the rules. Consider this a verbal warning.

Merged

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Stay away from anything an over-the-top Otaku would watch (laden with anime in-jokes or anything that would require an open mind to watch - Excel Saga, any Mecha series, Haruhi Suzumiya, any Magical Girl series, or any "Harem" series like Sister Princess, Love Hina, Tenchi, Maho Sensei Negima, etc)
    This is the first time I've seen someone advice against Haruhi. It's not an "otaku series" by any means.

You have to see the context of his post... he's posting towards the person that wants to show something to his girlfriend who doesn't like anime, and for sure Haruhi is not something I would recommend for those purposes. Only people that really enjoy anime and such would enjoy something like Haruhi.

And sorry, but Haruhi is indeed something for Otaku galore... it plays off on many of their "fetishes" and stereotype.

Too bad I didn't see these sooner. There is absolutely no series safer for introducing anime to girlfriends or family members than the Slayers franchise. Good quality dub, no ecchi, nothing really confusing about it. Simple, stupid humor with some good action mixed in.

Oh well, what's done is done.

The Slayers manga has quite a bit of ecchi in it if I recall.

Well, if you only look at the main series (Slayers, Next, Try) and exclude any of the movies/OVAs with Naga in them, they are extraordinarily clean. Some blood here and there, but it's relatively late in the series.

i was wondering if anyone would like to step up and reccomend me an anime series thats easily obtained atm for me to watch, currently im watching the usual big three (bleach naruto OP) in the past i have watched and enjoyed;
    samurai champloo
    last exile
    FMA
    black lagoon

and others im sure i cant remeber right now, im not liking films so please dont reccomend me any of those, i prefer somthign that lets the character develop more.

im also watching gantz atm which now the protagonist has gotten out of his "bitch" namesake is actually getting good ( and i beleive its only 24 eps long or somthing ..... just as its getting good too). so yeah, please roccomend me a series that i can watch now, and if you can go one step further and link me a 1st ep torrent i would be very greatfull. also if the series is long, or is finished then thats a big boost to me too!

Readily accessible, hmm.

-Pumpkin Scissors just recently ended. Subbed by Eclipse. It's a post-war series with a good mix of action, plot, and character development.

-Utawarerumono is from a season or two ago, also heavily action oriented, most of the characters are what I'd call "beast-men" (not furries), so if that really turns you off, you might want to stay away from it. A period series more like Champloo. yesy subbed this one. Lots of development all around.

-Another series just started this season may interest you if you liked some of the serious parts of Champloo. Seirei no Moribito being subbed by Anime-Kraze, is a period series about spear wielding bodyguard who reminds me a lot of the blind woman from Champloo.

-El Cazador de la Bruja just started as well. No idea how it will turn out, but your preferences seem to give me the impression you might like this. Our very own AonE subs this.

-If you're not averted towards mecha, now would be the ideal time to catch up on Code Geass which just reached a season break in its story. Huge character development in this series. gg has the best subs for this series.

-Busou Renkin just ended. Kyuu subbed that. There's some good character development for the two main characters, and even the lead villain gets a lot. It's a series that pokes a lot of fun at itself (of the genre of Bleach, Naruto, other shonen series in general).

Well if you haven't already, you should check out the shounen Hunter X Hunter.

Watch the TV series, then the 3 OVAs, there should be plenty of torrents around.

The new spring series is really good, so you should check out some... like Seirei no Moribito, Claymore, Darker than Black, Gurren-Lagann, Romeo X Juliet.

u should watch

''AFRO samurai'' watch that one

I watched like 3 episodes of that, and was thoroughly bored.

DarkArcher101

OMG

ok like no 1 has said anything in like 3 years so ill say it watch Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho dude ill give u a summary cuz is that good XD (but Fate/stay night the best XD)

Plot Summary: In the night of Tokyo, mysterious deaths involving the 'Reborn Dead' occur. Mysterious transfer student, Tatsuma Hiyuu, and delinquent student, Kyouichi Houraiji, fight these undead every night. They, along with the rest of their group, soon realize that a greater threat, that involves even more powerful demons, is near.

there people how read this watch the show and BY THE HEAVENS IF U HAVENT WATCHED FATE/STAY NIGHT U ARE COMMITING A SIN !!!!AND SHALL BURN IN THE FIRES OF HELL!!!!!!(lol maybe im exaggerating but watch it! )NOW!!!!!

Other than butchered Grammar, I like this guy. As I'm sure the Fire of Death would as well. Fate Stay/Night chambers, though I'm not sure if you've seen it yet or not.

Mushishi. Project ARMS. GTO. Basically all the anime mentioned in my signarture. I doubt anyone of them could disappoint any anime lover.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Iriya no Sora UFO no Natsu

If your ready for a good cry in the end ^^

@Lucifus: Where the heck are you getting these ridiculously awesome C.C. Sigs and avatars im jealous >.<

lucifus makes his own sigs and avatars i think

ok i just finished watching eureka 7, beserk, zegapain, black lagoon and hellsing as masamuneehs suggested and i really enjoyed it. but i didnt really want to start deathnote or code geass as i dont wanna wait for releases because im the kind of guy who wants to mknow wat happens right away. anyone have any good suggestions for cool anime?

ty psj for this sig

After that action fest, I recommend Mushishi. Theres no way a anime lover wouldn't beg for more Mushishi. School Rumble as well, but thats basically no action. Funny as hell though

I guess you could try Getbackers for action. Thats always fun. You tried the Hellsing OVA's yet?
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Try Demon Eyes Kyo/Samurai Deeper Kyo. Feudal anime about a samurai and a healer inside one body. Yes, also try Hunter X Hunter.

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    How about giving me some recommendations?

Current favorites (and some reasons I like them):

One Piece - Good comedy, character development; interesting plot (especially involving the World Government and Poneglyphs)
    Naruto/Shippuudden - Same as One Piece, but I prefer OP.
    Mushishi - Didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it was exactly what I needed the second time.
    Berserk - Guts
    Trigun - Same as Naruto/OP, but only gets good when the Gungho Guns show up.
    Kare Kano - Hilarious, realistic romance; ADD style.
    FLCL - Serious ADD style, pretty funny.
    FMA - Interesting plot, good character development.

Others I've seen:
    Monster - liked it at first, got boring.
    Death Note - liked it at first, getting kind of boring. Hopefully it well end on a good note though.
    Escaflowne - boring
    Evangeleon - boring, kind of kinky and fun at times
    Lupin III - fun, but inconsistent
    Gantz - boring, seemed like a parody of itself.
    Kenshin - liked it, but it was too inconsistent.
    Shamploo/Bebop - waaay over-rated

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like comedy and action, I guess. Though I'm open minded.