Page 25 of 82 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    ahhh thx
    B]Berserk[/B].
    i like the manga, but not the anime :P

Basalisk is not a bad choice either. Ninjas with lots of powers, and it's all one big Team Deathmatch. As gory as Berserk, but with better animation to back it up. Some scenes are not for the weak-stomached.
    uhhh sounds very nice, especially the word "ninja" ^^

Elfen Lied.
    alrdy watched

Gurren Lagann Couldn't leave this one out. Not only do you get one badass, you get another after a timejump.
    ahhh nice, a timejump so that little boy in the beginning grows up later (just saw the first ep on stream)? i couldn't tell when i saw this fucking cool fan-made trailer a few weeks ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3GSMPAZhMU i like the "THIS IS SPARTA" scene very much :P so he actually IS a badass ^^? sounds good... VERY good.

Scryed. This serves as the generic badasses with super powers fight to the death anime of yesteryear.
    never heard of this before, i ll give it a try

Black Lagoon. If you want to dip a little bit into the more realistic side, you've got Revy, Dutch, and Balalaika, and a few assassins here and there.
    alrdy watched .

ok since all my animes i currently watch come to an end here is another question:

Fate/stay Night was a great anime, but when i saw Saber in her armor i always wondered if there are any animes which really involve knights in full(!)-armor.. i m not talking about something like Claymore.. i m a real fan of knights fighting with their swords wearing lots of heavy metal and a helmet and stuff... you know the movie "a knights tale" probably? ^^

i think its a waste that they the always show the characters without a helmet or mask since this is most fearsome part of the armor or suit when he actually stands before you in person.
    something like this

however if there arn't any i can live with animes which have fights like saber vs gilgamesh *g*
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sat, 03-01-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33
    Fate/stay Night was a great anime, but when i saw Saber in her armor i always wondered if there are any animes which really involve knights in full(!)-armor.. i m not talking about something like Claymore.. i m a real fan of knights fighting with their swords wearing lots of heavy metal and a helmet and stuff... you know the movie "a knights tale" probably? ^^
    Hey me too man! I always wanted to see an anime where it revolves around medieval times... The whole castle battles with knights, magic, and all that neat stuff. I think Record of Lodoss War was kind of like that, but that's really old. I've seen a few episodes here and there way back when I was small, but never really took the time to watch it all since it's so outdated.

Of course, it has to be good too.

I think Shining Tears was kind of going that direction, but when you want a serious anime, it doesn't help that the art is designed by a hentai artist... Because those scenes take away the serious feeling... And then when the show also has like birdmen and all those fantasy creatures, mixed with a hentai artist, you begin having thoughts about things you don't ever want to see..
    Last edited by Idealistic; Fri, 03-07-2008 at 01:07 AM.

I'm kinda new to the anime scene, and so far I've watched Kenshin and Naruto, and don't really know what else out there is a good anime.

I tried Bleach but it didn't work for me and so I'm wondering what you more experienced folks might recommend.

Shonen series are good for newbies. These include Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. They help you get accustomed to the common stuff that happen and the common things people say in anime.

I suggest you avoid comedy series for the time being. A lot of them use jokes that you can only understand after watching and understanding a lot of anime. In other words... otaku jokes.

What kind of series are you looking for? Any theme in mind? Genre?

I like samurai and ninja series..such as the ones ive seen, kenshin, naruto, samurai champloo...and one other that i cant think of right now.

Not too particularly fond of mech shows, other than transformers cuz I grew up on it ya'know.

edit:

you say shonen, i've heard that term before, what is it?

Afro Samurai is a decent ninja action series. It's in English voiced by Samuel L Jackson.
    Basilisk was another popular ninja series, although the term "ninja" probably isn't very fitting for that series. It's more like mutants and superpowers.

Shonen is generally action series targeted at children and young teenagers, especially boys. A lot of older people also watch them though (One Piece is a good example).

Shoujo is like shonen, but targeted at girls. They're generally not action series.

Seinen is targeted at older audiences. They generally deal with complicated themes aimed at a mature audience. Honey and Clover is a seinen series.

you probably like Karas (OVA)

its like transformers-ninja-samura in one anime!

best animation i've seen so far and awesome fights (the story is "so-so")

when it comes to action and effect this is my favorite anime so far..

here are some Yotube AMV's

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIWn5...eature=related
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=1FfzYg...eature=related

at some points its pretty brutal (demons eating humans alive n stuff but well its nothing compared to splatter)

here's a small fight (with bad sound though)
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou8-h77X9So

have fun

btw the music is pretty awesome...
    the animation is so good that even on youtube it looks good . (but its nothing compared to the real thing)
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Wed, 03-19-2008 at 07:57 AM.

KrayZ33, you were right about the animation in Karas, phenomenal. I've only seen this first one but it does look good.

Afro Samurai doesn't look bad either, and I always seem to like whatever Samuel L. Jackson does. Except for Snakes on a Plane.

Haven't been able to find links to Basilisk yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi
    KrayZ33, you were right about the animation in Karas, phenomenal. I've only seen this first one but it does look good.

Afro Samurai doesn't look bad either, and I always seem to like whatever Samuel L. Jackson does. Except for Snakes on a Plane.

Haven't been able to find links to Basilisk yet.
    [moo-shi] Basilisk 1-24 DVDRip

You can check out this thread if you ever can't find download links, you can also go to www.anidb.net to find out which groups subbed series you are looking for, it's also good for just browsing through animes to watch.

cool, thanks for the links

I'm looking for an anime with a dark story. A series with great music and awesome voices, preferebly around 26 eps or longer. Anyone got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji Ikari
    I'm looking for an anime with a dark story. A series with great music and awesome voices, preferebly around 26 eps or longer. Anyone got any ideas?
    thats rather difficult to find in my opinion

even though i havn't watched it yet

i hear alot of good things about Gantz... the story is interessting and its...well somehow disgusting

another anime which, at least, sounds interesting is Soultaker.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sat, 03-22-2008 at 02:05 PM.

I just wish Five killers would be released, that anime seems to have some potential... Tried out of a few Trinity Blood eps, but man did it suck, and what's with all the contradictions.

Will see if Gantz has what it takes

Longer than 26 episode "dark" series are very few and far between. Most run the 26 episodes, give or take.

ERGO PROXY - I never got particularly far into it, but it is one of the dystopian, post-apocalyptic series that you are looking for. Runs 23 episodes.

Gungrave - Story begins as a monster story, flashes back to a mobster story, and then returns to its dark roots as a monster story. Good action, the flashback has an excellent plot, and it runs 26 episodes.

Berserk - Again, monster story, medieval flashback this time, return to monster story. A true classic, excellent dub if you don't mind them, and all the darkness you can handle in a plotline. I believe you are familiar with this title, but it runs 25 episodes.

Chevalier D'Eon - French period mystery at its finest. Not to my particular tastes (delays in subbing combined with the slow plotline at the time forced me to drop the series). However, the series has fantastic music, excellent animation if you grab the HD subs, and a dark, vaguely satanist plotline. Zombies, possessions, and plenty of that fun stuff. Runs 24 episodes.

Gantz is up the alley you're looking for, but make absolutely sure you get DVD rips for the first half of the series, that part was censored on television. If you like it enough, but aren't so sure about the ending, read the manga instead up to the "Second Phase."

Noein - Don't be thrown off by the simple art. This series is a lot more deep than it appears. Sci-fi, dimensional travel, and darker undertones. Runs 24 episodes.

RahXephon - Towards the darker side of mecha without going emo (Evangelion), you will find RahXephon. Post apocalyptic, violent deaths, last hope of humanity. Look no farther. Runs 26 episodes, accompanied by an excellent musical score.

SaiKano - Alright, this series is only 13 episodes. You want dark, depressing, tragedy? This here would be the pinnacle. The be all, end all, lord on high of dark anime.

Bokurano - Can't say I've seen it, but this would be another darker series. Children in mecha, add in a bit of despair, and a high price for victory. Runs 24 episodes. I've heard the manga is even darker, and edits were made to the story.

Mahoromatic (seasons 1 and 2) - Billed as a comedy. Why is this a "dark" series? Could be due to the fact that every single episode ends with the exact number of days the lovely automatic maiden has left to run before she dies. Don't let the humor deceive you. 26 episodes total.

Basalisk - Ninjas, blood, gore, tragedy. In a fight to the death between families, there are no winners. 24 episodes total.

Witch Hunter Robin - Dark visuals, dark concept, another dark anime for this list. The title is fairly self explanatory, and the visuals are nice. I loved the OP/ED, and the music was also good. Runs 26 episodes.

Lastly, there is Monster. The only series in my suggestions that matches your criteria. 74 episodes total. Murderers. I don't know much else, but this series is loved by many who have seen it.

Now, if you want manga, I can provide that as well, there are plenty of those.

Like you guessed, kinda familiar with Berserk seeing as I'm the one who started the manga thread

Thanks for all the great tips though, I'm going for Gantz right now and I'm liking it so far. After Gantz I'll be checking out Ergo Proxy, awesome woman on pic from anidb presenting it.

So I just finished both Gantz (anime and manga) and Ergo Proxy. Loved them both, checked out a few others on the list but none of them was really good. Any other animes I might have missed?
    Last edited by Shinji Ikari; Tue, 03-25-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Kurau Phantom Memory, not really dark but it has plenty of deaths and dramatic. I love the music score.
    Key the Metal Idol
    Project ARMS
    Speed Grapher
    Blood+
    Elfen Lied
    Devilman Lady
    Gilgamesh
    Night Head Genesis
    Sci-Fi Harry
    Guyver
    Red Garden
    Infinite Ryvius
    Wolf's Rain
    Shigurui
    Shin Angyo Onshi
    (watch the movie, then read the whole manga)
    3x3 Eyes (watch OVA and then read the whole manga)

But I hope you really gave Monster a chance, the story is incredible.
    Last edited by Munsu; Thu, 03-27-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Yea, Monster is good but I preferred the manga to the anime version a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by animus
    Yea, Monster is good but I preferred the manga to the anime version a lot more.
    Lol, isn't the anime the same as the manga panel to panel?

It probably was, but I watched anime first, and re-reading it in manga form just felt so much more suspenseful (even though I knew what the story was about).

Blog Entries
    Hey guys, im watching naruto, bleach, one piece and have watched and enjoyed flcl, trigun, full metal alchemist, outlaw star, cowboy bebop (those were my favourites). based on that list is there anything you guys would recomend me?