Page 27 of 82 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

For me so far it'd be;

Kurenai - A rather light and soft slice of life on one hand with quite a bit of mystery, darkness and other intricacies on the other.

Macross Frontier - Pretty awesome, not much to say besides that

Allison and Lillia - A good rather light hearted adventure series that can turn out to be epic, which you could probably watch with the family

Soul Eater - Produced/Animated by Bones gave me enough reason to start it. Had already read the manga a bit, but it's art style and action are rather awesome atm.

So far there haven't been much to interest me besides those. The Tower of Druaga I'm kind of on the fence, and been wanting to watch Toshokan Sensou but no subbers have picked it up as far.

Blog Entries
    Munsu, do you think i would enjoy any of the "series en fuego" ? I enjoy discussing episodes here on the forum so i was thinking if any of those newly posted animes would be fun to watch.

My list so you don't have to go back:

Naruto, bleach, one piece, kenshin and have watched and enjoyed flcl, trigun, full metal alchemist, outlaw star, cowboy bebop, death note (those were my favourites).

Quote Originally Posted by The Archangel
    Munsu, do you think i would enjoy any of the "series en fuego" ? I enjoy discussing episodes here on the forum so i was thinking if any of those newly posted animes would be fun to watch.

My list so you don't have to go back:

Naruto, bleach, one piece, kenshin and have watched and enjoyed flcl, trigun, full metal alchemist, outlaw star, cowboy bebop, death note (those were my favourites).
    All of the series in there. Though the Code Geass one is a sequel.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, a few new animes have premiered around here so i want to hear your opinion about them:

Corrector Yui (... sailormoon? )

The Law of Ueki ( not bad i think)

Detective Conan (old!)

Lupin III (older!)

Kochikame ( I have a feeling this one sucks...)

Well, Law of Ueki is really run-of-the-mill formulaic shonen. If you're into that, it's pretty good. I enjoyed it for the time I was watching it, but I've already seen nearly every iteration of that kind of show.

And you're right, Corrector Yui is run-of-the-mill formulaic shoujo.

Conan is more of a kids show, but the people who grew up watching it swear by it.

Lupin III is one of the most beloved series around the world. It's very popular, really funny, and actually a lot of fun. It's a real classic, and if you have the chance to watch it, you should.

I've never heard of Kochikame, and I don't remember much anime from around '96 other than Evangelion, Slayers Next, Armitage III, Hana Yori Dango, and the like.

For whichever douche bag neg repped me by saying "Give it a try before you recommend."

I have "tried" them, and they're currently on my watching list. Maybe whoever neg repped me should rebuke me first in a post how I haven't watched them. I have posts in all of those respective series I recommended.

Are there any well drawn Ninja-series that are serious and not too far from realism? Not like Ninja scroll and Basilisk or Naruto, those are waaaaay off base.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Hmm i think not...

But I remember a scene from "Ryon(dgaagdag) Kenshin" (sry, dunno how its spelled)
    there was a scene where he walked through a forest and got attacked by 2 assassins... that was pretty much cool and well at least a bit realistic. The assassin did even eat snow, because his breath was visible since it was very cold and attacked him after that.

Hmm, does anybody know if it was the OVA/Movie or if it was Kenshin at all?? I want to see that again, that was a pretty cool scene.

But a series with real ninjas (or focussed on ninjas)... hmm i don't think there are any which are "realistic", yet I could be wrong.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Mon, 04-21-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji Ikari
    Are there any well drawn Ninja-series that are serious and not too far from realism? Not like Ninja scroll and Basilisk or Naruto, those are waaaaay off base.
    I haven't seen any of it, but maybe Sanada 10. Digitalpanic was releasing it. Other than that, I don't think there are any out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji Ikari
    Ninja series tend to shift towards the fantastical. I can't say I've even heard of one that wasn't in some way perverted (2x2 Shinobuden, Kage Kare Mamoru), or just over the top ridiculous, like the ones you mentioned.

Samurai or pre-samurai era series tend to go a bit more towards the realism. Again, there are not a lot of those at all either.

I toss this one out a lot, but the first arc of Otogizoushi (the Heian Arc, ~ eps 1-14) goes pretty far into mysticism, and it is pure eye candy, as well as a really good historical series. I'd pass on the second half of the series set in modern day if I were you though. It was really boring.

Again, samurai rather than ninjas, and I haven't seen it either, but Shigurui may be another up the alley of what you are looking for. MADHOUSE worked on it, so it is a nice looking series (Black Lagoon, NANA, Death Note).

Blog Entries
    K everyone, i'd like to hear your advice on something. I just finished rurouni kenshin's Shishio arc and i know there are only fillers after this one so should i:

- Keep watching the anime, then read the manga and then watch the ovas

- Read the manga and then watch the ovas because the fillers suck

- Move on to the next anime because the rest isn't worth it

Personally i hate fillers but these might be good so i'm asking you what do you think i should do. With all the exams i have to keep anime at a minimum already so i don't want to waste my time on crappy episodes.

I know people didn't like when Kenshin went to fillers, I personally enjoyed it. Probably because I haven't read the manga. Not to say they are as great as the early portion, but I'd say they're good enough. I haven't read the manga, but I'm told it's a great read and should be done so... I'll get to it later. The OVA is anime original (the sequel one), but surely it should be watched last as to it can ruin the manga experience most probably as Kenshin gets old or some shit.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    My recommendation: after the Kyoto arc, watch the first Samurai X ovas (Trust and Betrayal). They fit well there, with their top-notch animation quality no longer ready to wreck your experience on the best arcs of the series.

After Trust and Betrayal, maybe watch the movie if you haven't already, and then the rest of the series. The only filler arc that's really shyte is the geomancers arc, and that's way at the end, but the rest of the fillers aren't really stellar like Kyoto was.

Once you've had your fill of filler (either hit the end of it or just stopped watching), watch the last OVA (Seisouhen, aka Reflection) -- which is set at the very end of the storyline. It's a solid end to the storyline, and definitely worth watching.

I always thought that the Trust and Betrayal OVAs should be watched before the series, since you know, they take place when he's an assassin, etc.

but then you don't get to see the past slowly revealling...
    it's like watching Bardock special before Dragon Ball. it misses the point.

though, the OVA is best. the manga is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z
    but then you don't get to see the past slowly revealling...
    it's like watching Bardock special before Dragon Ball. it misses the point.

though, the OVA is best. the manga is even better.
    Well that's true. I'm just one that always likes to watch things chronologically, and back then I also watched the OVA before the series. It was actually one of the first things anime-related I've ever watched, so I didn't know much about the genre, etc.

Hello, I'm looking for some good anime.... duh... :P

Well, here's the thing. I'm looking for to genres, "ROFL comedy" or deep as deep can be, good story and awesome music deep.

Anything that contains this is on the list of what I want to watch. But when I say comedy, I don't want it to be lucky star fun or kanokon fun, I want it to be so fun I will fall of my chair like Fumoffu and Golden Boy. Oh, and I don't want it to be crazy fun and weird like Excel Saga :P

Please help me.

Edit:........ Well, if not in those two category's, just something totally awesome

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    hmmm i laughed extremely(!) much when i watched Minami-ke first season... the second season (well if it is the second one.. its just a different retelling of the manga) has its moments too but it isn't as good as the first one

one scene spoiler? http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=g8naPS6oJF0

it gets even better if you know who ninomiya kun is!

btw the animation is great in my opinion

Damn it, Minami-ke was the other series I forgot to mention, already seen it :P

Deep as Deep can be, good story, good music? So deep but not necessarily dark and depressing.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - Not too many series that go deeper than this one does, delving into what it means to be honorable, courageous, and all the different shades of evil.

Anything adapted from a series written by Shirow Masamune. Ghost in the Shell [franchise: GiTS and GiTS:Innocence, and the GitS:SAC universe (SAC, Solid State Society)], Appleseed, Ghost Hound, Real Drive (airing now). Most, if not all of his works delve into what it means to be human and other super deep philosophical questions all while the technological ones displaying the increased role the elderly can play when they are not bound by the infirmities of their own bodies. GiTS has a soundtrack by Yoko Kanno and the others are all equally up the that level.

Speaking of Yoko Kanno RahXephon is a good mecha fitting that bill, parts of which are as dark as NGE, but not nearly as emo. A good mix of "wtf is going on" and solid, mecha action.

xxxHolic and xxxHolic: Kei both also fit the good soundtrack, deep life questions, with a bit of humor as a side dish.

Soukou no Strain: The mecha adaptation of A Little Princess by Francis Hodges Burnett (yes...the same author who wrote The Secret Garden). The amusing twist for readers of the book is all the characters are parody versions of the book counterparts, often having opposing genders or personalities. But the story is solid, a good tragedy from first glance (though it is more bittersweet), and fulfills many of the same questions about what a person should act like when their life has been ruined.

Well it's not deep per say, but it brings up the kind of questions you might be looking for, particularly when you least suspect it, and I can easily say it has had a profound effect on my life. It has its share of funny episodes too. ARIA [franchise: ARIA the Animation, Aria the Natural, Arietta, and Aria the Origination]. Fantastic music too.

As for ROFL Funny:

As KrayZ33, mentioned, Minami-ke certainly fits.

Ouran High School Host Club - parody of bishonen series, crazy at times, but not insane like Excel Saga.

Kimi Aru Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de - Down on their luck brother and sister become butler (in training) and maid to a very rich family with "unique" personalities. Surprisingly dirty in all the right places.

Ebichu the Housekeeping Hamster: The funniest, dirtiest, most lazily animated series I've seen. Violence, sex, terrible puns, what more could you ask for?

Believe it or not, I'm actually going to put Soul Eater in. It hasn't let me down yet this season, despite being shonen. The last subbed episode had me waking people up.

I've got more of the "insane Excel Saga"-like series, but you wanted something a little more normal.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Tue, 05-20-2008 at 04:10 PM.