Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

I really enjoyed PlanetES, because I've always been interested in space and space travel, and it really presents one of the most believable scenarios for the future. The series gets off to a slow start, but really picks up. The whole series is mostly just character development, but it does a great job at it. If you've always liked space (real space, not space opera anime) you'll like it. It's really an anime you'll either like or hate depending on your interests.

One Piece takes a huge commitment. (Following is on the sub, the 4kids hacked apart versions are unquestionably unwatchable). I downloaded the first 20 eps or so, but I realized that I just wouldn't be able to keep with it. It never really caught me, but from what I understand its really good. If you can commit yourself to watching it, you'll like it. Everyone I know who watches it is a fanatic about it. All it takes is that one push.

Hajime no Ippo is exactly the same.

The FMP series' are highly recommended, the perfect balance of comedy and action when you watch all of them.

GunXSword is a totally forgettable series. I'd say don't waste your time with that one.

One Piece DUB doesn't do it justice. I'll admit, the first episodes are slow, however, the series is great. The characters and story are all well done, and once you start to see the Straw Hat crew develop, you will really become attached to them.

I need some help i feel like i missed some good shows in the winter season. Are there some great ones from that season shoulndt be missed?

There wasn't a lot of stuff for the winter season, but right now there are lots. Take a look at my sig. I guess you can call Fate/stay Night a winter series because it started in December/January and will be ending soon. School Rumble 2, Ergo Proxy and Black Lagoon are probably the top series ATM. Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi is a pretty interesting series, good for light viewing. I just started Utawarerumono (haven't watched any yet actually) so I can't comment on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    One Piece takes a huge commitment. (Following is on the sub, the 4kids hacked apart versions are unquestionably unwatchable). I downloaded the first 20 eps or so, but I realized that I just wouldn't be able to keep with it. It never really caught me, but from what I understand its really good. If you can commit yourself to watching it, you'll like it. Everyone I know who watches it is a fanatic about it. All it takes is that one push.
    I watched up to episode 130 something and stopped there. It feels like it was never going to end, which isn't a bad thing because the series is amazing. It's just too long.

The two seasons of ARIA are worth a try if you haven't seen them.

Also if you haven't started these, they are worth a try (popular titles, all still ongoing):
    Eureka 7
    Blood+
    Fate/Stay Night

Solty Rei and Karin were also decent series from last season. REC was a short series that was enjoyable, but be sure to find the versions with the highest video quality (as several groups used webcast raws). Shakugan no Shana is also not a bad choice, though it has a particularly slow start.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sun, 05-21-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Eureka seven and fate night i remember wanting to try but forget.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Of the new season i like Kiba,Witchblade,Black Lagoon and my fav of all comedy animes school rumble.

This thread is actually really cool... since you can browse through it every now and then and find interesting shows you haven't watched... maybe the title should be changed to "which anime should you watch" to make it more general? and stickyed? although its not really structured... but seriously... its a nice thread.

Help me find a new anime series to watch!!!

With both bleach and naruto stuck in an unending cycle of perpetual fillers, I need something new and different to watch. Are there any new anime series that are really worth watching. I know there are all kinds of new series that premiere but I really don't want to filter through a bunch of crap with gun bunnies or giant robots or any of the other sterotypical traits normally associated with anime. If any of you have something to good to recommend please post the name of the series as well as brief synopsis of the plots and themes and ongoing storyline.

Wow, seriously the thread you could have posted this in isn't even off the first page yet. How you missed it is beyond me.

Thread Merged, User Warned
    Last edited by Deadfire; Wed, 05-24-2006 at 06:32 AM.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    recommended for generic anime newb (and Narutards):
    Eureka7, Blood+ (it's damn good right now), FMA if you haven't seen it

For those sick of typical action animes:
    Monster, Mushishi, Melancholy of Haruhi

Care to gamble with a new show?
    Utawarerumono, Zegapain, Black Lagoon

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

I'd add The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo to the gamble with a new show catagory. Even at just three eps (Ayu is slow, but does quality work), the series is showing considerable promise. Neat swordmanship, desert tanks, robots, freaky powers, it seems to have it all. Even does a good job at mixing in humor.

just watched gungrave and found it amazing!!!!, is there any other anime which is somehow like gungrave

ty psj for this sig

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    I've yet to come across another anime that accurately portrayed the gangster life the way Gungrave did. Also it's hard to get the same blend of bullet rain and monster mix like that show had. It's really a special show which is part of why I strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

... in the same vein as gungrave? That's a little tough... well i suppose if you like guns and all that you need to watch Trigun and Cowboy Bebop if you've never seen them. Airing currently, Black Lagoon is a shoot-em-up style show as well.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    Also it's hard to get the same blend of bullet rain and monster mix like that show had ... Cowboy Bebop if you've never seen them.
    Yeah. Cowboy Bebop had a pure monster episode!

I just finished watching Gunslinger Girl (Animenfo, ANN, KAA torrent). I think it was a really good series. Perhaps not excellent, if I reserve excellence for series like Elfen Lied, but really good nonetheless. Despite the slightly corny name.

The descriptions beyond the links might give a bit more brutal image of the series than it actually is, although there are strives of all kinds in this anime. Despite the talk about cyborgs it was very realistic and deep, the characters very convincing. It certainly painted a very believable picture of pre-teenagers who have gone through brainwashing, extensive surgery and are completely dependent on the few people they interact with.

Casually thinking the setting of this series is very cruel and cold, yet when you watch it, there is strange warmth in it; how the life persists and how humans are still humans trying to interact with each other, love and be loved, no matter how twisted the circumstances.

Yeah, your post would've been more appropiate in this thread:

http://forums.gotwoot.com/showthread.php?t=9740&page=3

Hmm... Yeah, I think you might be right (not counting the fact I can't write a 10 words post in 30 seconds...). I didn't remember that thread, but specifically looked for this one

Question Older anime series' ?

So, I have only recently started watching anime (1 year ish) and I was wondering, what are some good series's that I could watch.

Serial Experiments Lain was recomended to me by a friend. It's from 1998. I found a torrent with the whole thing (it's only 13 epidodes though). I'm downloading it now.

Any recomendations?

Neon genisis Evangelion, Cowbot bebop, Escaflowne, Macross, Tenchi Muyo, Iria. I can't think of any more.

Thanks, and congrats on 1337 posts :P