Page 6 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation and Suggestion Query

Quote Originally Posted by KitKat
    You've probably been watching anime a lot longer than I have.
    I wouldn't count on that... But I've been consuming anime like crazy the time I've watched it, and that could compensate.

Anyhow, Kurau Phantom Memory will also be the next anime I get. Thanks for the suggestion! Can't go wrong with Bud's real suggestions, I've learned.

If anybody knows good vampire series that are not Buffy style with vampires being just things to slaughter amass, I'd be very grateful to receive any suggestions. I just finished downloading Vampire Princess Miyu, but I'm out of ideas right now. I have already seen Moon Phase, Karin, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Blood+, and Trinity Blood. I hope that was all, and I didn't forget any... Hellsing is of course still there, but I've been kind of saving it for later.

If you guys are going to get Kurau Phantom Memory, I recommend hunting down the Ayu and Sora versions, they are much better than the rest, though the AnimeYuki version will probably be easier to find. It was the first series AnimeYuki worked on so the quality is not something I would be looking forward to.

All you guys about to watch Kurau Phantom Memory, let me know if it's good or not.

I just finished Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu and I'm looking for a new anime. Currently looking into Utawarerumono too.

utawarerumono is fantastic but if your looking for other suggestions maybe a post like kitkat's would be helpful otherwise the suggestions, like the ones im about to throw out, are going to be pretty random.

So.. my suggestions:
    Welcome to the NHK - pretty interesting show, got its own thread with a synopsis you might want to check out.
    Innocent Venus - A good show, nice animation, interesting characters, violence.
    Air Gear - light-hearted comedy/sports-ish anime about a kid trying to build a team to race/battle on AT's (inline skates with motors)
    Gun X Sword - a year or two old but definatly worth looking into if you havent already.

no idea what your into or if you are in fact looking for suggestions but those are a few of mine. oh and Zegapain good mecha/drama type show, excellent plot although i havent been keeping it up with it for the past 2-3 weeks.

I do not mean to demean anyone's suggestions, but there is always a fatal flaw in threads like these. They lose focus. People stop suggesting similar series to those listed, and then random suggestions are made, nearly always currently airing series (or ones currently being subbed, but finshed airing).

Personally, I abhor threads like these, but unless there are rules against it or a sticky, people who can't seem to find things to watch on their own will just keep making them. I'll admit they have a purpose, but most requesters are better off just trying random series to see if any strike you, or checking databases like Anime-Planet for recommendations. The threads do tend to be even less random in choices and usually make better suggestions that the database sites...until they begin to lose focus.

Please stop making random suggestions. I know you like(d) this series or that series, and having them currently/recently airing helps requesters obtain access to them easier, but it destroys the purpose of these threads. Despite how much I hate these threads, I'd like to suggest a few things to keep it as constructive as possible.

-If you've only seen one or two of the series they've mentioned, please only comment on those series. The worst thing that can happen to these threads is "Well, I didn't see any of those, but you might like [totally random series]."

-If possible, take into account all of their suggestions to bring up one or two series that may share elements of each of them.

-Remember to suggest series from more than two or three seasons. I can't stress this one enough. There are a lot of good series from years ago (even in the 80's) and you shouldn't forget about them, just because they're really old. So far, this has been kept up in this thread, but I've seen too many threads that forget that anime is older than the previous season.

Just keep these in mind when making further suggestions. I know this post will be buried in the middle of this thread, but I'll probably try to refer to it often.

Okay, the "usual" batch of anime I've been watching haven't really been coming out with new releases very regularly so I'm at a loss at what to watch. I don't feel like checking out all the newer series I've missed so far and I'd much rather find an older, complete series to watch at the moment.

Some examples of series that I had enjoyed at some point would be Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Capeta, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Shakugan no Shana, Aishiteruze Baby, Binbou Shimai Monogatari, Yakitate! Japan, FMP, FMA, Coyote Ragtime, Hajime no Ippo... so basically, I think I'd watch almost anything. But I'm not really fan of mecha anime. If there are any old anime *movies* you think I'd enjoy, suggest away. No need to suggest Hayao Miyazaki because I'm already familiar with his awesomeness. Always a fan of a strong storyline and great characters. I couldn't get into Gantz at all because the main guy pissed me off so much within the first 3 eps. Oh, and if there's an anime that's based on a manga, it should be true to the original storyline.

I think that's enough of a criteria... confusing as it might be

As always, I'll go with my sure bet favorite shounen series: Hunter X Hunter. Around 72 episodes TV series, and about 3 OVA series as direct sequels. Still hoping for a new OVA series to come around when the mangaka decides to finish the current arc in the manga.

The Read or Die series is pretty good too. Watch the 3 episode OVA first then the TV series released by AonE. The TV series is called R.O.D. TV, rather than Read or Die.

I don't tend to watch many anime movies, so can't really recommend any. Maybe the OVA Hoshi no Koe and the movie Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place, but I'll bet you've already seen those.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    if you've never seen it, Last Exile is a beautiful and awesome one to look into. Good action (airplanes and flying fortresses = awesome), memorable characters ("Beautiful Luciola, beautiful..."), excellent interplay between the characters and a solid plot that any anime fan would love.

and it's subbed by Anime-Kraze who rock.

I would have recommended Zegapain too, but you said not really into mecha, so...

And one last underappreciated recommendation: Mushishi
    Award winning animation (seriously, won an annual prize in Japan this year) and a refreshingly different kind of anime. Sorta on the supernatural/spirtual side and a much more calm and deep-thought kind of viewing experience.

edit - taking a note from bud, i'd just like to mention that all of the above 3 are 26 episodes long. Mushishi's final episode is due any time now and Zegapain is at 16 of 26. Last Exile has been completed for some time now.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Does anyone know...

hello guys

I've recently watched final fantasy movies(last order & advent children) both opf them were two of the best 3d anime movies i've watched and i wonder if there are more animes like those or any other final fantasy movies(if you are about to say spirits within i have also seen this and it wasn't so cool),so does anyone know where i could find animes as good as these?

hmm here a few old one that are pretty good
    Outlaw Star: interesting concept and character, and i really like the overall art style.
    Erementar Gerad: this is a pretty good fantasy/romance/adventure anime.
    Detective Academy Q: pretty decent mystery anime.
    He is my master: i find this anime to be hilarious and the show doesn't always show you what you would expect either.

Quote Originally Posted by Budweineken
    As always, I'll go with my sure bet favorite shounen series: Hunter X Hunter. Around 72 episodes TV series, and about 3 OVA series as direct sequels. Still hoping for a new OVA series to come around when the mangaka decides to finish the current arc in the manga.
    Saw HxH plus OVAs and like you, I do look forward to seeing the current arc animated. I don't see why they don't start now
    The Read or Die series is pretty good too. Watch the 3 episode OVA first then the TV series released by AonE. The TV series is called R.O.D. TV, rather than Read or Die.
    Will consider it ^^
    I don't tend to watch many anime movies, so can't really recommend any. Maybe the OVA Hoshi no Koe and the movie Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place, but I'll bet you've already seen those.
    Actually I never saw any of those movies. Their premises seem interesting enough for me to give a shot though. Thanks, Bud! (I wonder if Netflix has them....**goes off to look**)
    Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    if you've never seen it, Last Exile is a beautiful and awesome one to look into. Good action (airplanes and flying fortresses = awesome), memorable characters ("Beautiful Luciola, beautiful..."), excellent interplay between the characters and a solid plot that any anime fan would love.
    Saw it. Liked it. Thought the ending could have been stronger.
    I would have recommended Zegapain too, but you said not really into mecha, so...
    I got into FMP somehow. Perhaps one day....
    And one last underappreciated recommendation: Mushishi
    Award winning animation (seriously, won an annual prize in Japan this year) and a refreshingly different kind of anime. Sorta on the supernatural/spirtual side and a much more calm and deep-thought kind of viewing experience.
    Your description piques my interest. I think we have a winner ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Honoko
    If you're looking for something more current, I'd suggest just browsing through the more active threads going on now and see if any of those catch your interest. Usually on the first post of the thread there's gonna be a link/quote on what the anime's about.

I really recommend Ippo to you though. It's got all the elements that makes shounen series appealing: the apparent underdog, fights, the process of levelling up, more fights, etc. If a girl like me can actually like an anime about boxing (a sport I never had much interest in), I think that's saying alot You won't regret picking it up. You can even find the torrent for the entire series at BoxTorrents, I think. C'mon, Isso, I'm trying to pique your curiousity here. Is it working?

Thanks for the post, amazingly I was able to find a decent anime on the first page. Actually, this is the first sports anime I liked.
    Anymore good suggestions? Gonna check out Mushishi as well.
    Last edited by Lucifus; Sat, 09-16-2006 at 12:36 AM.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus
    Thanks for the post, amazingly I was able to find a decent anime on the first page. Actually, this is the first sports anime I liked.
    Anymore good suggestions? Gonna check out Mushishi as well.
    The next step for you would be to get into Ippo manga as the storyline continues where the anime stopped, including the movies. Always glad to see another Ippo fan around here ^^

As for another one.... well, another sports anime I like alot is Major, which is about baseball. I watch it mostly because I enjoy all the characters and the story's good. Who knows? This might be the second sports anime you would like. Two seasons of it is out (all nearly fansubbed) and I heard rumors of a third season coming out this winter. I guess that's the other thing I appreciate about this anime. It follows pretty closely to the manga storyline and instead of doing continuous fillers, it'll stop and then start up again later.

As for others, maybe there's another anime you might enjoy watching on the second page of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by dimitris127
    hello guys

I've recently watched final fantasy movies(last order & advent children) both opf them were two of the best 3d anime movies i've watched and i wonder if there are more animes like those or any other final fantasy movies(if you are about to say spirits within i have also seen this and it wasn't so cool),so does anyone know where i could find animes as good as these?
    The only other FF related animation is Final Fantasy Unlimited. A shitty anime series.

Quote Originally Posted by Honoko
    As for others, maybe there's another anime you might enjoy watching on the second page of this thread

Hehe, I neglected to mention that this is the first sports anime I've tried.
    Will definatly check out Major, and the 2nd page.

I really liked the opening to Ippo even though obviously not much work was put into it. The song ownz.
    Last edited by Lucifus; Sat, 09-16-2006 at 03:36 PM.

I watched Ippo 2 weeks ago. It's pretty good, but very predictable. I thought I was watching Hikaru no Go except for boxing, it follows the exact same model (win fight, level up, repeat). It's pretty funny though.

Oh, and at the great failure of reputation. I never tried a space anime before, think I'd like that Planetes series? =P

I think anyone would like it. It's definately a 10/10 series. Here is a good review. Also, I don't understand why people are calling it "Planet ES." Planetes is Greek for 'wanderers,' which is where we get the word 'planet' from. They called them this because unlike stars which remain fixed, planets can seem like they wander about the sky. This fits the title much better than "Planet ES" which has nothing to do with the series. The story isnt set on a planet called ES or anything.

The title is actually "ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ" so "Planetes" is probably more accurate than "Planet ES." I think the "Planet ES" name came from people who thought "Planetes" is a strange word.

Alright then. I'll gonna check out the first ep right now.

Oh, and you've got the greatest avatar I've ever seen. It pwnz.