Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

You don't want to understand my point. Indeed, rape is rape, it's not bullying anymore, so not sure why you bring that up.

All I wanted was proof that stuff like what happened to Rudy is an everyday occurrence in Japan, which I still don't believe. That's why I dislike how the anime has portrayed it as "not a big deal".

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    You don't want to understand my point. Indeed, rape is rape, it's not bullying anymore, so not sure why you bring that up.

All I wanted was proof that stuff like what happened to Rudy is an everyday occurrence in Japan, which I still don't believe. That's why I dislike how the anime has portrayed it as "not a big deal".
    I don't understand your point because the point you make doesn't exist.
    The anime hasn't portrayed it as "not a big deal".

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I don't understand your point because the point you make doesn't exist.
    The anime hasn't portrayed it as "not a big deal".
    The situation as perceived by society in this anime is portrayed as "no big deal". Ofc, it's a big deal for Rudy. But:

- teachers wouldn't help him
    - classmaters don't care
    - parents are "get over it"
    - parents talk to school board to do ... what? The situation is as clear as it gets
    - why was there no mention of any police involvement?
    - it all sounded like the bullies just continue going to school
    - the end

That's all "no big deal" level for my impression.

Bullying is a big problem in Japan irl, yes. But maybe popular anime shouldn't portray the reaction to extreme bullying like this, because it reinforces the "not giving a shit" reaction in the people watching this. If this was an anime focusing on bullying as the main theme of the show, then you could this non-reaction as a criticism against the bullying culture in Japan. But it's a fuking isekai anime where we only get a glimpse of Rudy's past every 5-6 episodes or so. Nobody sees these scenes and goes "brrrr bullying bad". It's too little to actually raise awareness.

I'm sorry if my opinion is once again the odd one out, but as someone who went throught not as extreme, but years-long bullying himself, it just makes me angry. I wish there was an anime that really took revenge on such bullies in a non-subtle manner. The "bang!"-scene from Inuyashiki remains the most satisfying scene of such nature.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

out of your list there, the only relevant point from all that is: "why wasn't police involved?"

Because all the other points you mentioned either enable bullying in the first place or are your personal thoughts on this even though the show doesn't mention nor show any of that, or aren't even true.
    His parents actually did something too.

Good question though, not sure if you involve police here or if you straight up sue the bullies' parents.

The point isn't to raise awareness btw, that's like saying when a character has cancer it is supposed to remind us of how bad cancer is.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Tue, 12-21-2021 at 03:11 PM.

The point isn't to raise awareness btw, that's like saying when a character has cancer it is supposed to remind us of how bad cancer is.
    Yes, but then do it better still. The way it's done in Mushoku is like "btw Rudy had cancer LULZ".

You could take my criticism to other anime, too btw, if that's confusing you. I have disliked the whole "delinquents at school bully others without consequences" for some time now. I even dropped a basketball anime that aired, I dunno, 1-3 years ago, because the delinquents gave off such rapey vibes that I couldn't stand any scenes with them and the girls, always made me think "at some point, they're gonna threaten to rape or actually rape one of the girls". And that's just from the shitty "no consequences" presentation - that anime didn't actually have any rape or such (probably).

As you know, I'm absolutely against censorship and I don't think fiction leads to reality. However, when something is THAT normalized in popular fiction, then it might create a bad mindspace in the people watching it. I mean, fuck, anime taught me that civil courage doesn't exist in Japan, so better don't expect nor offer it myself, right? WRONG. Even if it's true, unless your story is about social criticism, why not show it OUGHT to be?!

In Rudy's case, I would have liked to see either a smoother progression of the bullying that shows how it could realistically get to that point OR show that his teachers, classmates, parents and directors actually react properly aka the bullies are thrown out of school, punished by law, the school mates are all "poor Rudy, hope he gets better soon" and the parents are "this is so terrible what happened to our poor son *sobs*" and the director is like "we cannot let something like that happen ever again! This poor boy shows us our own mistakes!". And so on. Of course, not 100% of these people would be that empathic with Rudy. And you could still have Rudy be miserable, because just because people are empathic with you doesn't necessarily heal your wounds. So the "evolution" into the gross Rudy we were introduced to in the beginning could still be happening.

Instead the anime throws this non-sensical hyper-extreme bullying at the audience and expects it to work. That's just too shallow, especially for this anime that prides itself on going into details usually. It went the trope route here, and while most won't complain about this, as evident in this thread, I do, because I demand better.

The situation as perceived by society in this anime is portrayed as "no big deal". Ofc, it's a big deal for Rudy. But:

- teachers wouldn't help him
    - classmaters don't care
    - parents talk to school board to do ... what? The situation is as clear as it gets
    - why was there no mention of any police involvement?
    - it all sounded like the bullies just continue going to school
    - the end

That's all "no big deal" level for my impression.
    I'm sorry if my opinion is once again the odd one out, but as someone who went throught not as extreme, but years-long bullying himself, it just makes me angry.
    It should make you angry, but this is Japan. What you laid out is exactly what always happens. The ones where they get revenge, or the bullies get a comeuppance? That's fantasy for Japan.

It's not like you haven't see the pattern before. A Silent Voice has the same pattern. Shouko's mom just actually cares.

South Korea had a similar eye-opening incident with disability students and schools. They made a film about that too. This stuff does happen, the indifference happens.

They showed Rudy's parents trying extensively right at the beginning, but we can only assume that they were rebuffed by the school staff and administration. Then when he never came out of his room, they slowly stopped trying as well, as did the rest of his family until his parents finally died, when his brother kicked him out.

You are trying to load a work of fiction with too much social responsibility. This is a product of entertainment industry, that's it. Fantasy web and light novels are written endlessly in Japan, and every author must rack their brain to try to please the audience enough to catch their attention. There's a bunch of simply formulae they often follow, especially and particularly in isekai fantasy. A victim of bullying is a very common trope, sometimes before getting isekaied, sometimes after it, sometimes both. The fact so many authors do rely on such a setting for the MC tells you something about the situation in Japan. There are a whole lot of people who seek the ultimate escapism literature, isekai fantasy, and can sympathise with the victims of bullying and ostracism, either by having personal experience of it or belonging to the silent witnessing group too afraid to do anything about it.

The social pressures show in many ways in isekai fantasy. The slow life isekai is also a very popular setting, targeting a different sort of audience compared to the bullying victim isekai. Slow life can be as deadly boring as the bullying victim one can be grotesque with the ultimate edgelord theme.

So, while it should go to the recommendations thread, I'll ask here for greater visibility: Can any of you recommend anime that have bullying as a theme and where the bullies actually lose and the victim gets revenge/wins/gets a happy end? Just curious if that even exists.

They expressly weren't that, at least at first.

You get the impression though that he stayed in his room for, like, the next decade. Eventually it's like, yeah, he DOES need to get over it. Ffs.

So, while it should go to the recommendations thread, I'll ask here for greater visibility: Can any of you recommend anime that have bullying as a theme and where the bullies actually lose and the victim gets revenge/wins/gets a happy end? Just curious if that even exists.
    "top 100 anime moments where bullies got what they deserved"

The way it's done in Mushoku is like "btw Rudy had cancer LULZ".
    It really isn't though, because we got multiple episodes and hundreds of lines that are dedicated to the psychological damage this has caused him even now as Rudeus, he suffers from it, and talking to Man-God always reminds him of his "ugly body" and his past.
    While the "revenge" part might be important for you, it really isn't for this show nor for most people in general, not even for the bullied themselves sometimes.
    For all we know they could have been punished but that didn't change anything.
    For all we know MC didn't help to get them punished and the only things his parents know is that he got bullied etc. etc.
    It's up to the imagination, it doesn't mean they make fun of the matter, it just doesn't serve as a story telling device anymore or rather, it serves a different purpose to those anime that use it for a "revenge-story".

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Eventually it's like, yeah, he DOES need to get over it. Ffs.
    "Funny" how nobody would ever dare tell that to a female rape victim.

"Funny" how nobody would ever dare tell that to a female rape victim.
    They would and they do... don't kid yourself.
    After like 10 years people will tell everyone to get up and resume life, even if it was horrible.
    Shutting yourself off from reality and in your room is no alternative.

They would and they do... don't kid yourself.
    After like 10 years people will tell everyone to get up and resume life, even if it was horrible.
    Shutting yourself off from reality and in your room is no alternative.
    They wouldn't tell her that bluntly. Can you imagine the twitter outrage? lol

They wouldn't tell her that bluntly. Can you imagine the twitter outrage? lol
    From whom. You don't talk to strangers about such things in the first place, nor is it their place to talk about it.

When we are talking about family members though? If they won't, who will? There is no alternative other than seeking help and to get your life back in order. No matter how difficult, you can't expect *anyone* (not even your family) to carry you through 10 years of depression or whatever just like that. At some point in time, everyone will give up on you.

What Kray said. Eventually, it stops being supportive and just becomes enabling, doing more harm than good.

Can you imagine the twitter outrage?
    Cause nobody ever says anything that makes twitter mad

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Good ending. I like that more anime nowadays are abandoning the 'shoehorned anime original ending' and letting the last bit of cannon hang there for an eventual/possible sequel. It keeps this series from feeling compromised.

That demon lord is so flippant (and weak) as to stretch my suspension of disbelief.

Not much more to say- plenty of questions left unanswered. Maybe we'll get more, maybe we won't, but what we got here was worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    That demon lord is so flippant (and weak) as to stretch my suspension of disbelief.
    I think the implication is, like some characters from Slime Tensei who have similar claims, she reincarnates and starts out weak before becoming insanely powerful (assuming she doesn't starve to death in that incarnation and die early).

She's physically weak, but her ToonForce powers let her rip out a person's eye and heal them without appearing to do anything. So that breaks the suspension of disbelief all on its own, but she does appear to be quite powerful, and essentially fearless of any physical harm.

demon lord loli isn't weak. I'm pretty confident that she's just having fun with everything that happens to her. "LULZ, I'm getting tied up, ahahaha!" That kinda type.

Oh, seems like the bluray will have an Eris+Ruijerd episode?

Somewhere around episode 5 (part 2).
    Not sure if it fits, but I'm guessing it's the Goblin Slaying part?

Surprise bonus episode just dropped. I'm guessing it's some DVD extra.