Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japanese ISPs to ban file sharers?

Well, I won't disagree that there are people ignorant to the law, there's certainly no doubt about that. As for the relevance of your career field, I was pointing out you don't claim to have a career in the study of any form of law (and just throwing in that you seem to include that fact in the majority of your posts so we won't forget, I suppose...), so theoretically you're just as ignorant as anyone else. Reading wikipedia and news sites doesn't mean you're an expert at something... So naturally, I, and assumingly anyone, would be more inclined to believe someone native to the area about their legal system... Or any subject for that matter... rather than a "42 year old anime fan"...

edit: BTW what the hell does any of this have to do with Japan banning filesharers?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    If you were really interested in that you would have asked darkshadow to shut the f*ck up a few posts back, when he went off-topic talking about the Netherlands. What does that useless country have to do with Japan banning filesharing?
    What is wrong with you I told you to stop yet you're acting like a child in a fight and saying why did you tell me to stop when he started it, you know why because it doesn't matter and although his post was a bit off topic it was actually interesting and revelant and you're the one still dragging it on. I bet you're so sorry you weren't born in Japan because really no other country is worthy of anything in your opinion.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Nah, just the countries that legalize piracy. The worst part is that they lose nothing because who is downloading dutch music/movies/animation? It's a pretty lopsided deal.

Quote Originally Posted by IFHTT
    Well, I won't disagree that there are people ignorant to the law, there's certainly no doubt about that. As for the relevance of your career field, I was pointing out you don't claim to have a career in the study of any form of law (and just throwing in that you seem to include that fact in the majority of your posts so we won't forget, I suppose...), so theoretically you're just as ignorant as anyone else. Reading wikipedia and news sites doesn't mean you're an expert at something... So naturally, I, and assumingly anyone, would be more inclined to believe someone native to the area about their legal system... Or any subject for that matter... rather than a "42 year old anime fan"...
    Fair enough. I am in the IT industry so piracy is at the forefront of our trade. To keep up to date with changes in software and technology, you pretty much have to pirate a lot and know a bit about file-sharing and security. So I may not know the exact wording or spirit of another country's laws concerning piracy, but I do have a clue about the subject. You don't have to take my side, but just remember the other guy is a 22 year old from the Netherlands. He's probably smoked his share of pot.
    Last edited by Animeniax; Sun, 03-23-2008 at 12:29 PM.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    You don't have to take my side, but just remember the other guy is a 22 year old from the Netherlands. He's probably smoked his share of pot.
    Wow... and you are really 45? i think not.

you know people made a big war because of prejudices. just 60 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33
    Wow... and you are really 45? i think not.

you know people made a big war because of prejudices. just 60 years ago.
    My age says 42 I think you started this whole off-topic discussion, so don't blame me.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

but just remember the other guy is a 22 year old from the Netherlands. He's probably smoked his share of pot.
    that hurt my feelings.... i don't even smoke ;'(
    -----------------

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    My age says 42 I think you started this whole off-topic discussion, so don't blame me.

funny that your age is the only thing which concerns you after reading my comment

and no... i didn't start this discussion.

Will you people stop whining about hurt internet feelings and go back on topic?

I'm gunna go look for the pro-dub activist post
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Blog Entries
    hahaha! I agree, Animeniax mom is such a fatass. I totally agree with japan banning her from the food court. I mean come on shes eating up all the whales. Something has to be done. Besides, *somehow* when she went to japan, the national health center noticed an instant jump in STDs. Oh and irc.gotwoot.net #gotwoot !!!
    irc.gotwoot.net #gotwoot

Kitkat makes great signatures!

You see what you people caused, this dude crawled all the way out from the depths of IRC just to say that and its all because of Ani.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Dub Activist
    Ok guys, I'm sure you have all heard about the Anime Industry being in trouble thanks to those who just sit and download the subs of their favorite anime from the internet.

It is WRONG and ILLEGAL.

Because of these sub-watchers the anime industry, both american and japanese, are dying out from the loss of money. Guys, the DVDs distributed here do give the option of switching from dub to sub with subtitles. But because of the lack of knowledge and DVD sales, everyone is suffering.

What many do not know is that America is supporting Japan financially so that people DO have anime to watch. Because of those who buy the DVDs it's giving money to Japan and America, so that more anime can be made. While the sub-watchers are just on the train-ride and not doing a thing to help. They're basically getting it free.

That's not right.

Everytime I see talk about "where to download subs" or "Sub is better than dubs" It makes me upset because everyone is suffering from it. I don't want to see anime go because I like it and do my part, as a consumer, to purchase the DVDs so that more can be made.

It doesn't matter whether you prefer Dub or Sub, because both are available on the DVDs. Everyone has their own opinion and likes and dislikes.

So please, what I'm asking, buy the DVDs. Get off the computer and spend a mere $20. Why is it that no one buys it? Is the price? Is it the lack of episodes on a disk? Is it the lack of extra features? Speak out!!

It costs a lot of money to make anime... And it's dying because of this reason.

And without anime, there won't be any conventions...there won't be any chance to meet your favorite voice actors... the voice actors won't have a JOB in voice acting.

C'mon, guys.

Help out

-Rissa
    Words of a pro dub activist, leeping in joy at this new devolopment (probably)
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

I do tend to draw the bugs out of the woodwork. Really there's not much more to say about the subject until the law comes closer to being passed. It'll basically be a bunch of "oh noes, how am I going to get my animes now?!?" So it's not too much of a loss if this thread dies.

Blog Entries
    So we all agree that his mom should be aids tested and banned from japan?
    irc.gotwoot.net #gotwoot

Kitkat makes great signatures!

I do tend to draw the bugs out of the woodwork. Really there's not much more to say about the subject until the law comes closer to being passed. It'll basically be a bunch of "oh noes, how am I going to get my animes now?!?" So it's not too much of a loss if this thread dies.
    So you planned to kill the thread from the outset?
    Sapphire is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    Words of a pro dub activist, leeping in joy at this new devolopment (probably)
    i dont agree with this, simply cause if you werent going to buy it in the first place, they aren't LOSING any money on you, since you never intended a purchase.

And yeah discs are waay to expensive for the meager amount of eps on a disc, especially with series like dbz ( omg that just costs a fortune), i dont mind buying movies or 12 ep series though. I will if i really like it.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula
    So you planned to kill the thread from the outset?
    Not as such, but just thinking about it, there's not much to be said beyond supposition and theoreticals and a lot of whining, at least until they actually pass the laws. I've read recently that they're watering down the law anyway, where ISPs can't ban users, but they can punish them.

Honestly I think ISP's are getting too much damn power same with the video game industry, you buy their product but then they want to tell you how you can or can't use what you purchase. Althought technically ISP's define their service as leasing but still.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by http://torrentfreak.com/japanese-isps-agree-to-ban-pirates-from-internet-080315/
    the agreement would see copyright holders tracking down file-sharers on the Internet using “special detection software” and then notifying ISPs of alleged infringers.
    From the sounds of that, it doesn't look like ISPs actively monitoring packets, but more the right for the copyright holder to access that info through the ISP, and tell them when they reckon it's happening. I'm still lost as to how they're going to do it, but really the battle's between Winny Encryption vs "Special Detection Software". In other words, it doesn't seem they're banning P2P entirely. Bad news for me though, as I searched the topic.

The Australian government is sensitive to the requests by the IFPI for a stricter file-sharing policy, Australia's communications minister Stephen Conroy told the Sydney Morning Herald. The powers that be plan to "examine any UK legislation on this issue [including any three-strikes policy] with particular interest."

Luckily, internet in Australia is expensive (I'd never thought I'd say this), and our ISPs aren't too happy with having to perform costly deep packet inspection on all the traffic. Unlike Winny though, torrent encryption only scrambles the signal, it doesn't hide your IP.

On a side note, how popular is Linux in Japan? Just wanting to see if it's believable to palm all your traffic off as Linux distributions. And is the Winny software Japanese only? I have a feeling we'll need that encryption source in the near future. (That or we all flood back to IRC)

Honestly, enough dooming and glooming.

Since it doesn't start until April, we really have no idea what they are going to do, or if they will even enforce it. They have in the past breached Winny from foolish users and the integrated forum feature, but the hoops they used to actually get the IP out of it were fairly excessive.

We also have no idea how much they will enforce it. If it is anything like Comcast in the States, the ISPs may soon see a severe backlash for this kind of behavior.

To me, this seems far more like a "Scare the more-inclined-to-be-honest folk by announcing it rather than actually persecuting the violators." Just like the moron cell phone while driving laws here. Those that didn't do it often still won't, but always get caught when they do it on accident. Those that did it before, resulting in the creation of moronic policy, continue to blatantly do it, and never seem to get caught.

No point in flipping out about all this until something actually happens after it goes into effect.

There will always be other avenues. This is a little like the black market. If someone wants it, someone else will provide it.

I just read on another forum about someone from Singapore who got fined $2000US for downloading anime. I guess some countries will enforce laws against illegal activity, regardless if it's another country's products being downloaded illegally. Singapore is where that kid got caned for littering right? Get 'im boys!