Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Series En Fuego

Your concerns have been noted. Move on... thanks.

Well Tales of a Abyss was a big mistake... there has been pretty much zero discussion for the latest 4 episodes, so I'll take it down soon. Should have gone with Index instead.

Anyways, looking ahead for the Winter Season that is just about to begin, we'll probably have 3 series in there. Soul Eater still needs to finish, so that's one.

I'm thinking of Black God (Kuro Kami) for another, which most people here should enjoy... assuming that Sunrise doesn't fuck it up (there are already some questionable changes).

The third one, well I was thinking of the next season of Druaga... but I think I'll give something else a try. So, I'm thinking of Kemono no Soja Erin.

So, I'll keep an eye on what piques my interest, the groups that are releasing and the amount of discussion.

Suggestions of series?
    Last edited by Munsu; Mon, 12-29-2008 at 07:59 AM.

I think Druaga should go there (was popular before, should be again) and Kurokami, since even if Sunrise fucks it up, it'll still attract an audience for the action and obvious inclusion of ecchi.

Kemono no Souja Erin has potential, but like Seirei no Moribito, it will still be an underappreciated niche series.

You may want to give White Album a spot in there. It might be something the Clannad/Kanon fans on the forum enjoy. Some of the more prominent of fansub groups have expressed interest in it (Eclipse, Menclave-ANBU, Osu)

I would have said Queen's Blade, since it has Mai Hime meets Ikkitousen (but not terrible) and Claymore potential, but apparently that doesn't come out until March.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Mon, 12-29-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Why not add Index even if its half-season?
    Tales of the Abyss had only 100 replies on the 14 aired episodes. Index has double that in 13 episodes. Whereas the Soul Eater threads, with almost 38 episodes has about 570 posts.

I watched the Kurokami trailer... it looks interesting and a like candidate for fuego. And I do agree with Ryll, White Album seems a good candidate for a fuego series.

I might do that with Index, and probably simply add Kuro Kami when it comes out (depending on the popularity of other series coming out).

Tales of the Abyss will be removed later today.

Good idea? Please comment or for ever hold your peace.
    Last edited by Munsu; Tue, 12-30-2008 at 07:22 AM.

I agree - its a good idea. Index attracts much more attention than my beloved tales.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

I would probably take Soul Eater out as well, with all the C&D letters, both the pace and quality of fansubbers has gone way down, and so apparently has interest in the series. There is very little discussion anymore. It won't be long before it follows Tales of the Abyss.

I think it would actually benefit from being consolidated back in General Anime again.

Yeah, I was thinking of taking Soul Eater out myself, but quite a few people objected to it last season. So I wonder if the opinion might've changed? Though Soul Eater gets its fair share of discussion every other episode or so... or is the current discussion garbage about subbers? I haven't paid attention.

Last time I was thinking of rotating the series every season, unless there was a really popular series like Code Geass or if simply a series shows that it gets a good abundance of discussion (which in this forum is quite hard to get for a particular series). That way, every season 2-3 series gets the benefit of the En Fuego exposure that they might have not otherwise gotten. It might also freshen up the forum at the same time every few months.

Input from more people is appreciated.

Hmm, placing Index on the Series En Fuego now would be nice before it's too late, as it does generate a lot of discussion about each person's powers and such. I would give my vote!
    Last edited by Nadouku; Mon, 03-09-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Corrected grammar.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

I would vote yes to Index for lack of anything better at the moment but maybe it would be prudent to wait until the winter shows start up. I have high expectations that a good number of people will embrace Druaga's 2nd season for instance. There are plenty of shows that should be starting up in the next two weeks or so and at least one of them should catch a lot of attention (Go Queen's Blade!).

Queen's Blade got pushed back to April, Yuki. I mentioned it above (albeit incorrectly as March). It is sad news.

[source: Moonphase.cc/anime]

I vote for the new Hajime no Ippo series. I don't know how many fans it has on this board, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik
    I vote for the new Hajime no Ippo series. I don't know how many fans it has on this board, though.
    While Hajime no Ippo may be great and popular, I don't envision it having too much discussion.

I would vote yes to Index for lack of anything better at the moment but maybe it would be prudent to wait until the winter shows start up. I have high expectations that a good number of people will embrace Druaga's 2nd season for instance. There are plenty of shows that should be starting up in the next two weeks or so and at least one of them should catch a lot of attention (Go Queen's Blade!).
    Yep, that's the decision we have to make. That's why I think moving Soul Eater back to General Anime is a good idea. The other side is that Index being popular might help the other series that are chosen for En Fuego. The other side is that with Index having only 9 episodes left, it'll finish just in time for when the Spring comes so that's an opening right there that we might have not otherwise had.

I think a combination of Black God, Druaga (or Erin), and Index would make quite a solid lineup as we move forward.

My only objection to Druaga, other than leaning towards a fresh series that hasn't been done before, is that the first season had a handful of pointless (although funny) episodes that didn't generate any discussion other than some random comments here and there. Don't know if this'll be the case with the 2nd series. But in its own merit, it's quite popular here and quite a few people has since then watched the series and liked it so the viewership has increased.

Would really like to hear from people watching Soul Eater and see what their thoughts are of moving the the show back to General Anime.

Also, do we dare put 4 series in there if we find it meriting? I'm going to start sticky-ing the latest discussion threads of all the series in there so that should be helpful. We don't lose anything with trying.

I also have a feeling that Rideback might be a much better series than what it seems at the moment. Going to read the first volume of the manga to see how it is.
    Last edited by Munsu; Wed, 12-31-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Do we even need the subforum currently?

Part of the reason the section was created (probably the larger part at the time) was to regulate the excessive discussion certain series generated. The side benefit was promoting other series. However, the past two times, the "big" series didn't generate much discussion at all, and potentially hurt them being in a less obvious place.

Nor have separate threads for the type of series that don't generate 75+ posts per episode helped them in any way. Series that go into the section to be promoted generally recieve 3-6 posts, one announcing a release, and discussion among the three or four following the series and actually willing to post.

I don't think Black God (like Soul Eater at present) will generate the same levels of conversation that Naruto, Code Geass, or Gundam generate. I also wonder how much isolating Promotional series helps them. I think it actually does the converse.

While Index certainly is a viable candidate right now, there really isn't anything during this short Winter season that really needs to go in there. Perhaps next season, when series like Queen's Blade potentially and particularly the Full Metal Alchemist remake air, we will want them to be in there.

--------------------------------------
    If we do want to keep it active this upcoming season, I'd still go with Index, Kemono no Souja Erin and White Album. Black God will be fine on its own for now, but I feel it will end up in the same position as Soul Eater is now, especially since Bandai will be sending C&D letters to subbers from day 1.

Yeah, I just wanted to make use of the section.

In reality I guess the best way to use it would be solely for Code Geass-like type of popular series. And if there's none in a season, then we simply don't use the section that season.

On the other hand, I think other series benefit from it. I think Druaga got more discussion this way than what it would've ordinarily.

There's really no clear cut way to go about it in my opinion.

Anyways, I think moving Index would be a good move for it. And we can just see how the Winter season goes, and if a really popular series arises, then we move it.

My main problem for making suggestion is the lack of a clear consensus about what the Series En Fuego is at all. Is it a place to promote certain series or is it a place to make discussion easier for certain series? These two things basically are opposites. From a practical point of view I highly doubt the subsection actually will promote anything, like I've said before. So, it leaves only the discussion assistance, which pretty much means allowing asynchronous watcher base as you can comment on an older episode without getting spoiled by new episode conversation. Needless to say, only series like Code Geass really needed this, although earlier Soul Eater also showed a slight lag with a couple or a few threads being active, probably only because of some people waiting for higher quality subbers while others watched whatever came out first.

All in all I don't see much wisdom in moving series back and forth between En Fuego and General, although it might be inevitable, because nobody can predict how popular most series will turn out to be. What comes to Index, I don't think it will especially benefit from it even if it would outwardly fulfill the requirement of lots of posts per thread.

I'm a bit of a conservative so I'll vote for keeping Soul Eater there because it has always been there, and only picking a series or two from the coming season there based on how much posts the first couple of eps gain (and how much hype they have in general). Druaga should be a good bet.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    My opinions coincide with Kraco's. But I won't oppose that the subforum serves a new purpose. It just needs defining what exactly we're trying to do with it. In terms of Index, we can move it there based on popularity, if popularity is the key to moving it. If not, it should stay. Eclipse is what everyone watches, and things have been going pretty smoothly for now anyway.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Well Kraco, suggestions are not limited to what series we might want to put there. Suggestions might simply be on what type of usage we can give to the section and weighting the pros and cons of doing so (like you did in your post above). If I don't have enough input from you guys around here, then good decisions won't be made.

In all, the En Fuego section does not really need defining the way I see it, in my opinion. I like to work it on a case by case basis. There are different type of motivations as to why one would want a series in there or not, and also one has to weight what the collection of chosen series at the same time might look like and how they might support each other.

One motivation might be because a series is very popular and each episode has a lot of discussion like was the case with Code Geass. Another motivation might be a good series that might be overlooked and we judge that it could benefit from being moved there, in essence to give it more exposure (if it does that at all). Another motivation might be for series with super powers and stuff like Index, where various different types of discussions might arise which don't really carry too well in a single thread. And there may be others.

I really don't know, I just want more input.

And as you, I like consistency as well. But I also see some positive in rotating series around, especially when I see a series that might not be using the section to the fullest (though I think Soul Eater overall has done fairly well, though not as good as I expected). I think rotating series, if deemed appropiate, each season might liven up the place and make it quite refreshing.

And I disagree with the section not being able to promote something. In my opinion Druaga benefited from being there because I think more people tried it even if they didn't intend to in the first place, and I think that's all you can ask for as it regards that. But at the same time, I see a con in that if the series is not as strong as its counterparts the exposure might lessen, which was probably what affected Druaga discussion a bit. So what we saw is that Druaga got more people than would've normally watched it, but being paired up with Code Geass and Soul Eater might have been counter productive to its discussion since the new episode discussions were overshadowed by those two.

Hey, what about this idea? Even if a series is in the En Fuego section, that we allow new episode discussions to be created in General Anime parent forum. When a new episode airs, we simply move it to the En Fuego section. I think that could work, would like some opinions on this idea too.

At the moment, all I need from you guys is opinions regarding all matters. And also learning from a mistake with Code Geass, I'll consider some useful threads (like the OST ones) and not merge them in the end, but simply lock them and refference the thread somewhere. I think that might be a good change.

In all I don't think we should limit ourselves to difining the section. I like that at the moment it's quite flexible and we can change how we go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    Hey, what about this idea? Even if a series is in the En Fuego section, that we allow new episode discussions to be created in General Anime parent forum. When a new episode airs, we simply move it to the En Fuego section. I think that could work, would like some opinions on this idea too.

At the moment, all I need from you guys is opinions regarding all matters. And also learning from a mistake with Code Geass, I'll consider some useful threads (like the OST ones) and not merge them in the end, but simply lock them and refference the thread somewhere. I think that might be a good change.

In all I don't think we should limit ourselves to difining the section. I like that at the moment it's quite flexible and we can change how we go about it.
    Aside from the tedious level of work that may be required to maintain the housekeeping, I think that allowing an episode thread to be created in the General Anime before moving to the En Fuego subforum eliminates a lot of the issues I have with the section in terms of a promotional capacity.

Part of the reason I think the section detracts from conversation is the lower visibility of the section. Sure, it is at the top, but like all forums, the majority of users ignore the stuff on the top. Rules, Informational Stickies, etc. However, if the episode threads stay in the dynamic area of the forums (General Anime) where visibility is higher, the promotional function is much improved.

I do also like the idea of leaving the usage of the section open. There are not always series of the level of FMA or Geass, like this upcoming season. This time, the section would serve a great deal better as a promotional aspect. If we combine the constant thread shifting, there should be fewer issues with reduced visibility.

I have no problem doing the work. If I wasn't willing to do it, I wouldn't suggest it.

And I agree with you with the exposure problem, which is why I'm looking to make it better... it's my main problem with the section.