Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Series En Fuego

I agree. Option 3 seems to be a good choice because having multiple episode threads just seems untidy (take the Toaru Majutsu Index threads I've been making for example). The disadvantage would be not being able to effectively scroll back to re-read past posts, but that's a small sacrifice to make. Also, finding the episode download links, which can be nullified by having it placed on the first page with every new episode that comes out (kind of like my Akikan! thread).
    Last edited by Nadouku; Fri, 04-03-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Changed the integrity of my post.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

In the end we need to be thinking the bigger picture here. Not anybody can edit the first post, yet anybody could be willing to post a new release update. On the other hand, it's not really productive to have some Soul Eater thread jump onto the first page in General Anime half a year from now just because AllHailExcalibur finally finished it by then, if somebody posted the link in a new post. In En Fuego it would be no problem since the focus has anyway been moved back to GA with the latest episode threads being founded there.

It's not like we need to 100% forget a series was En Fuego after it has been finished. The main threads are simply merged and moved to General Anime, because that's where all the old discussions lie anyway, for anybody to search and find.

Option 1.

Not too many members will actually read the threads over again. Discussion in general terms has long since ended, and anyone wishing to contribute will bump a thread anyway, as most necromancer posters tend to do in GA (or they make a new thread like they tend to). Obviously most users of this type tend to browse through the past pages, though I'm sure that some may potentially know how to search. Either way, the location of these threads doesn't really matter, because older members will search for it if they want to add something, and new members don't bother and make new threads anyway. Minor resurgences in activity may appear, but there's no reason for special treatment.

So then why Option 1 and not Option 2 or 3?

The Gotwoot forums are not a release/torrent site like animesuki, scarywater, tokyotosho, or Nipponsei/LonE/NEET (though the gotwoot main site is). We already have a section for music, episodes, or torrents. I don't really see the reason why music and release threads for individual series really require their own threads separate from the series thread. There are plenty of sites out there that can accomplish this task, as well as a separate forum section for this material anyway.

If you really want to keep the release threads separate, just throw them into the Downloads section. They don't belong in GA.

Whatever works best. Im really against thread merging, but if the merge doesn't include music threads then whatever of the 3 is fine.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm for Option 2, and after reading Ryll's idea, I wouldn't mind if release threads where thrown into the downloads section. Not that I personally check the release threads periodically myself since I tend to grab the best-quality sub that still allows me to participate in weekly discussions, but I'd imagine others would want to be informed.

While GW isn't a torrent rlease site as said, people do come here to check if their show's been released. I'd suggest to ask one of our lurkers, but they....you know.

The main reason I'm not so attracted by Option 3 is that I was never a big fan of multiple-discussion threads in the first place (probably because I'm just conservative in that regard). It does allow for multiple discussion topics to go in parallel. That would please the people who'd be put off by 3-people-discussing-1-point while another 2-fight-over-another, and 4-try-to-discuss-both, all in the one Anime Thread. I've never had that problem as long as people quote what they're addressing, but some will find this "messy".
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Fri, 04-03-2009 at 06:20 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Blog Entries
    So, why isn't K-ON! in the En Fuego section yet?

I said that a long time ago, and got a neg rep for it.

Neg repper:"I disagree. Any slice of life show there would be a waste, there's no worthwhile conversation."

what do you guys think?
    "Be sure to take this piece of $#!t(meant sheet)" - My dynamics professor(heavy japanese accent)

Sig and Avatar by Lucifus
    Current Games: League of Legends(Fuck, its got me hooked again -_-)

A bit late now I think, even if it were to go in there. Personally, I don't consider it to be on the scale of Code Geass, which was the intention.

I've always felt that the En Fuego was reserved for series that had both hype and lots of discussion potential actual discussion. As in LOTS, so much that the thread goes into the thousands.

Not that I saw a problem with that (huge threads), but really no such anime qualifies to fill the niche IMO.

Now it's about exposure and gaining popularity and discussion, rather than as a means of managing an existing one.

Never the less, while K-ON! is indeeded popular here at GW, besides the weekly "OMG, Mio <3!" and occasional character discussion, there really hasn't been much to talk about. Discussion-wise, there's been plenty of older anime threads of this caliber in the past. It's not that special.

Maybe I'm just setting the standards for En Fuego too high. Or I've misunderstood / (refuse to accept the meaning of ) the En Fuego subforum. I dunno.

----------------------------------

Thanks to whoever taught me how to spell "Fuego" correctly. (Former spelt Feugo).
    I've been doing that since forever, and would have for much longer. It makes me happy since I try to spell my words correctly.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Tue, 06-09-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    &#205; just go by the number of avatars and sigs an anime gets to see if it's fuego material or not

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    &#205; just go by the number of avatars and sigs an anime gets to see if it's fuego material or not
    I still stand by what I've said earlier, that current En Fuego shows aren't gaining the level of discussion that warrants the need to be organised using that method.[1]

However, looking at the statistics, I must say, I might just have to review my belief that the En Fuego doesn't encourage discussion. Of course, these two shows (Soul Eater, Index) might just be worthy discussion material to start off with.

[1] This statement is referring more to my second paragraph rather than as a response to Archie's post. Actually, I'm not sure why I quoted Archie's post since I'm not replying to it at all....meh.

It seems to me like one or two series should have been promoted there, just to justify more the subforum's existence. Right now it indeed seems to have become, intentionally or not, a place for hyped series only as no moves were made to get more series there in addition to FMA2. Although maybe that was only due to Bud's recent period of seemingly low activity. But it can't be denied En Fuego will make itself useless if series are already finished before they have earned their place there...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    It seems to me like one or two series should have been promoted there, just to justify more the subforum's existence. But it can't be denied En Fuego will make itself useless if series are already finished before they have earned their place there...
    Exactly my point, now if only i wasn't lazy to write it myself

The way i see it either you give K-ON! a place in the sunlight or we scrap the En Fuego section entirely, since it has almost as many posts as FMA:B

It seems to me like one or two series should have been promoted there, just to justify more the subforum's existence.
    If it's worded like this, then I suppose my main issue with the En Fuego system is "If we have to move an ambiguously deserving thread into the subforum simply to justify the subforum's existence, then it is ambiguous as to whether that subforum should exist at all."

To me, the intention was:

"The En Fuego section was created because there were threads that needed it."
    Something exists for a reason.

Now it's:

"En Fuego Threads need to be created there because the En Fuego section needs them (to give it a reason to exist)."
    Now, that "something" is looking for a reason to exist.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 06-11-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    It seems to me like one or two series should have been promoted there, just to justify more the subforum's existence. Right now it indeed seems to have become, intentionally or not, a place for hyped series only as no moves were made to get more series there in addition to FMA2. Although maybe that was only due to Bud's recent period of seemingly low activity. But it can't be denied En Fuego will make itself useless if series are already finished before they have earned their place there...
    Yeah, I think this is due to Bud's low activity myself. Haven't had the time to watch any anime in recent months. Hopefully during the summer I can catch up on a few.

Moving K-ON! for 3 episodes is ridiculous. And I don't know where you're getting that it has as many posts as FMA Archangel, considering that FMA has around 294 posts and K-ON! has 188 in just about the same amount of episodes.

K-ON! could've made it regardless, but it's a little too late.

As for scratching the En Fuego sytem altogether, well I would have no problems with it. A bit disappointing that posters here couldn't really give it the appropiate use. There's little creativity here when discussing series, no one comes up with good topics of discussions. So, that being the case it makes the category pretty much pointless. I created a couple decent discussion threads for Index, but NO ONE here could come up with anything else? Come on, and it was a pretty popular series here to boot. But if no one is going to give it the use, then why have it?

Same shit with Soul Eater, and now with FMA.

But I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Other than the spam posts of docdan, One Piece didn't get much discussion threads. Bleach only hasn't seen a discussion thread in like 200 episodes. Naruto gets some, but quality is not to be found there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    Moving K-ON! for 3 episodes is ridiculous. And I don't know where you're getting that it has as many posts as FMA Archangel, considering that FMA has around 294 posts and K-ON! has 188 in just about the same amount of episodes.

K-ON! could've made it regardless, but it's a little too late.

But I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Other than the spam posts of docdan, One Piece didn't get much discussion threads. Bleach only hasn't seen a discussion thread in like 200 episodes. Naruto gets some, but quality is not to be found there.
    Just like with Toradora and Clannad, we only realize that a series is in fuego when it's too late.

Why not set some rules if we're to keep the section? Like if the first 3 eps gather over 50-100 posts it should be moved automatically or something like that.

I didn't really count all the posts, just some 5 second math using the average of the posts from FMA. Sorry about that.

Well the thing is that if anyone has something they want to discuss they almost always use the most recent episode thread they can find.

I see no problem with scrapping the section, and reviving it when we need it, aside from however much work that involves of the admins.

It was useful for the few series it served, and it also functioned as a decent experiement, but largely it is only ideal for very popular series where the viewing community is greatly divided between speedsubs and a quality version, or some other reason to stagger episode threads.

FMA:B probably doesn't even need it. It should have been used for a thread about something like "How does the new series compare to the old?" like the Naruto Manga/Open section functions, but that hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    I see no problem with scrapping the section, and reviving it when we need it, aside from however much work that involves of the admins.

It was useful for the few series it served, and it also functioned as a decent experiement, but largely it is only ideal for very popular series where the viewing community is greatly divided between speedsubs and a quality version, or some other reason to stagger episode threads.

FMA:B probably doesn't even need it. It should have been used for a thread about something like "How does the new series compare to the old?" like the Naruto Manga/Open section functions, but that hasn't happened yet.
    I'm with Ryll here.

As for the work involved in hiding the section, it would be a simple permission change wouldn't it? Much like how the Pit isn't viewable to non-members, and the Moderator's section is hidden from non-mods.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    would be fairly easy to implement hiding it, yes.

Sometimes, there's just nothing en fuego.

But I'm gonna agree with Bud too. If you want to see a series get talked about, the only way you'll get your wish is by talking about it yourself and luring other people in.

Who thinks Cross Game could do with a trip to the En Fuego section?

From the looks of things, viewers are split evenly (correct me if that's otherwise) between Subsmith and Central Anime subs, and hence avoid reading due to potential spoilers.

I think that in itself qualifies it for the convenience and benefit of posters. We're still early into the series (12 of 51eps), giving us plenty of time to see how it works out.

It's not to say we'll get a guaranteed increase in post count, but if some people are finding the current system a deterrent to post, it's worth a shot.

I think Umineko no Naku Koro ni could be worthy of the section. It seems like it has picked up some viewers here. Also, the genre is mystery so there could potentially be a lot of speculative discussion.