Thread: Homemade Computer Case

Homemade Computer Case

I posted this on Facebook, but since most of you don't have me on Facebook...

I plan on making a custom case out of wood/plexiglass after exams are done at the end of this week. It will be a small profile, no fancy stuff case that houses a motherboard, hard drive, power supply and nothing else. It won't even have a monitor or keyboard because it will be controlled remotely. In essence it is just a box. It will be low powered, low noise, low heat.

Give me some ideas if you like and if I deem them worthy then I'll build your design.

To be more clear, it contains:
    - motherboard (Intel BadAxe)
    - one hard drive; no more, no less
    - video card (passive)
    - power supply
    - a few fans

It does NOT contain:
    - CD drive
    - fancy cooling

It MIGHT contain:
    - fancy suspension system for hard drive

Something makes me think this box will be used for covert operations, possibly as a security system or for something lecherous.

Any reason you want to build a case instead of just buying one?

I looked at the badaxe motherboard and it's not micro-atx. Are you choosing it for crossfire ATI capability?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Any reason you want to build a case instead of just buying one?
    I guess the short answer would be: because I can. The longer answer would be that this will be a dedicated torrent/file storage system that I just carry around when I move from place to place. I'm building this system using minimal funds, so a cheap $30 case is often crap anyway. I enjoy making homemade hardware and this is something I would love to try, just to be different.

I looked at the badaxe motherboard and it's not micro-atx. Are you choosing it for crossfire ATI capability?
    No, it's the only spare motherboard I have. I traded a X1900XT for it when I was still working at ATI a few months ago. I tried to sell it a while ago but nobody wanted it since it doesn't support Core 2. I'm just going to put in a Celeron or P4 and underclock/undervolt it because the BadAxe is actually a very good enthusiast board and has those options. mATX boards don't have these features.

Also, the northbridge heatsink broke so I put on my own heatsink. Maybe that's another reason I couldn't sell it...?

I realize this is not the ideal motherboard for a "small profile" system but I'm building the thing only using scrap parts. I don't want to go out and buy a new motherboard for a system that I probably don't even need.

Do you plan to make it just functional or decorative/showpiece as well?

Do you plan to enter it in any contests, like maximumPC's monthly build contest where you can win $50 and a case of Bawls?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I have a rough plan of what to make right now. It's nothing flashy but I'm also trying to not make it look like crap.

You gonna keep us in suspense or give details?

I'm in no fit location to mess with building or modding PCs, so I have to live vicariously through others .

I don't really have details right now. This is still just an idea.

Well, you should totally hold a design contest. See who comes up with the best one.

This sounds like an awesome idea, though.
    Now 99% disease free!

Aren't cases legally required to contain a certain amount of metal plating to like....shield from electromagnetic emissions or something?
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    Aren't cases legally required to contain a certain amount of metal plating to like....shield from electromagnetic emissions or something?
    The metal casing helps to reduce external magnetic interference. It certainly helps quite a bit compared to having no shielding at all, but it's not a strict requirement. Definitely not legally. The computer will work just fine no matter what kind of enclosure it's in. A lot of people run computers that are just sitting in the open (eg. at my workplace).

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    A lot of people run computers that are just sitting in the open
    Yeah, I know a guy that once used a Domino's Pizza box as a case for a little bit while he was waiting for a backordered case to arrive... I wish I had some pics of it

Edit: Also, I've been thinking about building a custom mATX machine/enclosure for a NAS solution when I build my new desktop rig, but I think I will probably be going with a finished wood theme to make it look aesthetically similar to my tv stand and computer desk.. I can't wait to see what you can come up with.
    Last edited by IFHTT; Mon, 04-14-2008 at 07:58 PM.